AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my JVC DLA HD350 this thursday (I feel like a kid on Christmas eve) I ordered My Carada BW 114 inch screen today and it should be here next Tuesday. My room room is TOTALLY light controled and the trow is 16'. What should I do 1st in terms of calibrating this thig? Do I put hours on the lamp 1st before touching the settings? Do I attempt to set the color temp? etc etc BTW the gut who can calibrate it for me will be out of town until the end of March, and yes this is my 1st projector. F.Y.I I'll be feeding all my devices (blu ray/ HD dish, xbox 360) via HDMI through my new Integra DTR-70.1. Thanks for the help guys

-Alan

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is 100 hours before the lamp settles in, so adjust gray scale will need to be done again if you do it to soon. I could be wrong.. can't remember if it was 100 or 200 hours..

·
Registered
13,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18237774

I think the rule of thumb is 100 hours before the lamp settles in, so adjust gray scale will need to be done again if you do it to soon. I could be wrong.. can't remember if it was 100 or 200 hours..

To really enjoy the projector (and others like it), ideally an initial calibration should be done, followed by a recalibration every 100-200 hours. This is why it is great for folks to learn how to do this themselves, because otherwise its obviouslyits not practical or economical.

If you are not going to calibrate yourself then I recommend waiting about 200 hours. It will likely still drift considerably by the time you reach 400 hours and then again and again. So its hard to pick a point because from my own experience and talking to others there's really no point where the bulb actually really settles in and a calibration "lasts".

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1216 /forum/post/18237477

I pick up my JVC DLA HD350 this thursday (I feel like a kid on Christmas eve) I ordered My Carada BW 114 inch screen today and it should be here next Tuesday. My room room is TOTALLY light controled and the trow is 16'. What should I do 1st in terms of calibrating this thig? Do I put hours on the lamp 1st before touching the settings? Do I attempt to set the color temp? etc etc BTW the gut who can calibrate it for me will be out of town until the end of March, and yes this is my 1st projector. F.Y.I I'll be feeding all my devices (blu ray/ HD dish, xbox 360) via HDMI through my new Integra DTR-70.1. Thanks for the help guys

-Alan

Try it on the different modes first. You may prefer one of the canned modes to a calibrated look. Many projector owners do. I happen to prefer stage mode and natural mode. Gray scale adjustments are helpful.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1216 /forum/post/18237477

-Alan

Why does everyone use the Carada BW? I seldom hear of anyone using the CCW, even in total light control (which is when the CCW is recommended).

They are both fine screens, of course, but I'm just trying to understand when the CCW is the best pick if it takes more than total light control to pick it. Shorter throw? Smaller screen?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/18241713

Why does everyone use the Carada BW? I seldom hear of anyone using the CCW, even in total light control (which is when the CCW is recommended).

They are both fine screens, of course, but I'm just trying to understand when the CCW is the best pick if it takes more than total light control to pick it. Shorter throw? Smaller screen?

Hey Dan. . . .I was told the higher gain (1.4) of the BW will give my blu rays more of a "punch". Foe my taste/budget that works for me. Having said that.. I haven't tried it yet BUT my screen will arrive on Tuesday & I'll be sure to give an honest assement with some screen shots if you want. Just let me know.

Alan

·
Registered
213 Posts
The actual gain of the BW is around 1.0 ~ 1.1 (there are plenty of posts on this).

The BW has been well reviewed, however, reviews of the CCW (and their gray version) havent been as favorable.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkramer /forum/post/18243670

The actual gain of the BW is around 1.0 ~ 1.1 (there are plenty of posts on this).

The BW has been well reviewed, however, reviews of the CCW (and their gray version) havent been as favorable.

ah ohhh.... What are the reviews you've read on their BW??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts