AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, I currently have the following DirecTv satellite equipment:

(1) Old RCA Dish

(1) Old RCA DD5.1 receiver

(1) Old RCA standard receiver

I plan on moving in two months and will be purchasing a Pioneer Elite television and will want to have access to HDTV. I also want to have my local channels integrated into the satellite programing for my other two TVs (My fiance wants this, because she hates having to switch inputs to see local channels http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Here are my options:

1) DirecTV (After extensive communication with their CR department this is the only thing I could get)

a) Upgrade my dish and two receivers to DirectTV+ for ($147)

I get to keep my old equipment.

b) I purchase a Panasonic HD receiver for ($680)

Total cost: $827

2) Dish Networks (Sign up for their special and get the following through a dealer)

a) 2 receivers

b) 1 6000 HD receiver w/8vsb module

c) New elliptcal dish

*I would need to use my old directv dish to get all dish programing.

Total cost: $508

I like my DirecTv service, but Dish seems to offer greater programing opportunities (especially HD). The only drawback with Dish is that I would have to have TWO dishes to get all programing. I am not sure if my townhouse community will allow this.

Let me know what you folks think.. Are there better deals out there? Are there other things I need to consider?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dean

·
Registered
342 Posts
Dish gives you more HD including HBO on Eastern Time. Dish has foreign language channels that DTV doesn't have. But you have to be able to have that second dish to get the HD.

DirecTV has more NFL options. There are more manufacturer's of STB's from which to choose.

I've had both. Currently, I just have Dish.

------------------

Stan Z

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Stan,

DirecTV also has the East Coast feed of HBOHD. The only difference between the providers is that Dish has ShowtimeHD. Dish has a dedicated PPV channel but the movie selection is not very good.

viper72,

Since you are a DirecTV customer you can also get a $200 programming credit if you upgrade to HD. To get the credit you will need to select the option to cancel service. You will then be transferred to the Customer Retention Department. Tell them you are upgrading to HD and that Dish currently offers more programming and a $200 rebate on the equipment. They should offer to match the rebate with a $200 programming credit. You may also be able to get an extra $50 for the eliptical dish. Myself and many other forum members have been successful in getting this credit so if the first rep says no call back and talk to another rep.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You do not have to switch inputs with dish to watch OTA. It will be in your guide. With antenna you do not need to pay for local channels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Del is right. Considering the wife factor, Dish is the route to go. Despite the 8vsb module enabling me to get locals, I still subsrcibe to the local channels. That way I have the Programming info available in the guide (DFW channels don't have the PSIP info available).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
del, ADNBSN,

How can you recommend the Dish 6000 when viper72 states that his wife wants an integrated solution? I have used both the Panny HDS20 and the Dish 6000 and there is no comparison. The Dish 6000 will list "Local Programming" for every local station as it's program description unless you buy your locals from Dish. The Panny will receive local program guide data for your locals regardless if you purchase them from DirecTV. The Panny also has a "Native Mode" that will pass the native signal (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) out the component input. The Dish 6000 requires switching from SD mode to HD mode and then changing inputs on your TV to view HD material.

·
Registered
31 Posts
GScott,

Most people are pretty aware what is on the network channels. That difference between the 6000 and the Panasonic isn't enough to merit picking one over the other, IMO.

With Dish, you get more HD, better programming (unless you want to subscribe to the sports packages, of course), and have you heard one positive thing about Panasonic's HD receiver? It's supposedly slower than dirt. That isn't very wife-friendly, in my book.

Rich

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
rpterna,

I don't know about your area but in Columbus there is alot of programming outside of prime time (college football, basketball, etc...) that is specific to the local affiliates.

Jerry G,

I used the Dish 6000 for about 9 months and like many others do not care for the upconversion of 480i material to 1080i. In my experience it takes an already "soft" picture from Dish and makes it even softer. This was especially apparent on sports. Hockey on ESPN and Fox Sports Net were virtually unwatchable when upconverted. As far as 720p, the Panasonic also offers a mode that will upconvert 720p to 1080i (Hybrid I think) and 480i to 480p.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it better to use a DVDO for non-HDTV signals from the 6000 or to go through the 6000 into the components input?

------------------

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it...

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
GScott,

Viper72 mentions that he has the Pioneer HDTV. It doesn't do native 720p, so the native output on the Panasonic STB is useless to him as if he selects a 720p channel, his set won't accept it.

Regarding your statement, "The Dish 6000 requires switching from SD mode to HD mode and then changing inputs on your TV to view HD material", I don't understand what you're trying to say. I leave my 6000 in HD mode all the time and don't have to switch anything for any channel. SD channels are converted to 1080i. Now if someone prefers the 480i NTSC output for SD channels, then yes, they would have to do what you're suggesting. But it is NOT required if the viewer is happy with the SD conversion to 1080i.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyFisher:
Is it better to use a DVDO for non-HDTV signals from the 6000 or to go through the 6000 into the components input?
I'd think that the DVDO is a much better line-doubler . . . but since it will be fields that have been MPEG2 compressed, I wonder if it will be able to do 3-2 pulldown.

Anyone with the a satellite system & DVDO care to comment on how it does?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like it makes better sense for me to switch to Dish. It will be cheaper and I will have access to more HD material.

Thanks again!

Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.