AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the max I am spending. I started out wanting the new Optima but its been delayed till late November. So I started looking at DLP. And to make things worse I stopped in Best Buy and saw the RCA F38310 which is a great value. Anyway I am stumped.. Should I just go with the RCA and re-address a bigger expenditure next year after things settle down with DLP&LCD?

·
Registered
108 Posts
DLP&LCD settle down? It will be a long long time coming or never.

From the spec, the Optoma EzPro 755 seems like it's worth waiting for, I myself for one am doing just that.

2000 lumens DLP, XGA, 800:1 contrast, 2000hr lamp, a quiet 32db, DVI, and second generation Silicon Image's Sil 504 chipset built-in for progressive scan. Already saw an on-line price of $4195.00, but hasn't got shipment yet.

Another 2 Projectors I'm waiting for demo are Hitachi's SXGA LCOS CP-SX5500W and Sanyo's XP45. Hitachi told me that I might get a viewing in Nov., but the Sanyo is till up in the air. Both should street around $6-7K.

I had waited for close to 9 months for the next best thing and the technology to settle a bit. But that's it! I'm through waiting, and come hell and high water, I'm getting either one of those three before the year ends (That is if they are shipping at all).

·
Registered
47 Posts
With technology you always have two options. Either you spend the full budget you have now and go for the latest and greatest. Or you buy yesterdays technology and have something you can use today for a good price. (yesterday was not that bad after all lot of people are very happy with lp350 and lt150)

As DKChan says you can wait forever because it's not a mature market yet but you can have something really decent today for a reasonable price.

Spend 2000-3000 now and in a couple of years the 4000-5000 you have left may buy you something really great. You are still in the original budget and you will have had more fun than if you keep standing on the sideline.

If technology is mature then I don't think the above applies.

p.s.: I have to admit the Optima sounds really nice though

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Have you considered the Seleco HT200? Since they lowered the price on this model, it's a great deal. You should be

able to find one for around $6K. The $3K and $4K (business)

projectors are not in the same league. The other grand could be spent on a Stewart GrayHawk.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
The $3K and $4K (business) projectors are not in the same league.
Hope you have your flame suit on I can hear the troops of the LT150 advancing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway DG123 if you have a chance check out the new Sharp XV-Z9000E 16:9 DLP Projector which you can find it for at or under the budget you have.

Spero D.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Spend $3500 on a VT540 and invest the rest in DOD contractors.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sony VPLVW11HT. Hands down for the $$. It isn't perfect, but buy it online sub retail, and spend the rest of your budget on a Stewart Grayhawk screen, and you're working with a sweet setup.

I anguished and borrowed PJs for four months, and settled on the Sony. It's looks superb with a progresive scan DVD player.

Have fun!!

M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. We have decided to wait for the Optima!! And just in case something else comes into the """latest greatest soon to be released""" picture we are going to replace our damaged 4 year old 61"xbr with a 40" direct view xbr.

Does anyone know of a source of information on using my Optima for a Rear Projection source? I am in the construction business and would like to have a 80" screen using the projector with a mirror to keep the space required under control..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Stewart has several rear firing solutions with either hard or soft screens.
I checked Stewart's website out. I wil call them on Monday, but I am looking for a source for actual plans to do the DLP Rear projector. I've actually sold the wife on this plan.. Hoping I can gather all the necessary information to get started.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Get a 38t, and Quadscan Elite and a 1.3 gain screen. It ROCKS!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DG123
Thanks for the input guys. We have decided to wait for the Optima!! And just in case something else comes into the """latest greatest soon to be released""" picture we are going to replace our damaged 4 year old 61"xbr with a 40" direct view xbr.

Does anyone know of a source of information on using my Optima for a Rear Projection source? I am in the construction business and would like to have a 80" screen using the projector with a mirror to keep the space required under control..
Update

Changed our minds again! After some debate we (My wife and I) decided the XBR40" screen was to wimpy. We stepped up the the Sony KP57HW40.. I didn't feel like paying the extra 2k for the XBR2 as we still would have needed the SAT HD 100. For the price on the set 2849 I think its a great value. They also had a Fujitsu 50" plasma on display WOW very nice. Anyway every thing is coming at 9:00 in the morning. I almost sprang for the plasma.. and still could. They were asking 15k but stated the actual price would be less if I were serious.

Along with the set I picked up

Sony STRD B1070 Receiver

24" Triple LNB Dish

Sony 700P DVD

KEF Q55.2LC Speakers w/center channel KEF Q95.2

2 KEF UNI-Q 2 ways for rear channels

Sony SAT HD 100 HD sat receiver..

Plus their installing it!! I am excited,, and still on the fence about the plasma,, hum,,,, the plasma is basically twice what I paid for the system above. It may seem weird but just can't seem to talk myself into spending the $$ on the plasma.

FWIW. . for those planning a system this one cost me a bit over $7,900 with install and 4 shelf rack and some misc. stuff

Dennis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.