AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in my testing phase. I am waiting patiently for my Ascend 340's (FrOnt and CenTer) speakers to arrive with the 170's for my surrounds. I am looking for a setup that will suit my needs (although I don't know what they are yet).

I am in the military and I'm about to transfer yet again... I figured I would buy the Ascends because I heard nothing but good things about them. The only catch to these speakers: The tweeters are a little bright.

I might want to listen to some music from time to time on these speakers. Bright might sound alright for some jazz, classical, or possibly even some rock... As for me, I listen to the devils music: HIPHOP!

My primary focus is movies yet I want my hiphop to sound natural and not too punchy! I don't want that popping sound when the bass hits. I'm afraid, if I don't get some Velodynes, I'm not going to get a nice, smooth, bass display.

I MIGHT consider getting two sub's and run them at lower volumes (to try to fill out the room). As of now, I am left HOPELESS!

I was advised against getting the Velodynes SPL 12'S... I was told I could get more for my money (running about $1500)....

1. Is running two subs as bad as they say? Why? What are the pitfalls?

2. What do you recommend for me to do?

3. Should I wait until January to even consider my sub?

4. What recommendations do you have as far as sub's are concerned?

My thing is this.... I am MOSTLY concerned with Home Theater. If I need to get two receivers, I will. If I need to dedicate one room to HT and one room to music, I WILL.

I don't want to... If that's the only way around this, I will solely focus on HT and eliminate this whole stinkin' :p process...

HELP ME OBI-WAN, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE:

On a final note, the room that this HT will be playing in will most likely be no bigger than 14x14. If I am playing music, I'll probably open it up to the living room. I'll probably be buying a 1500-2500 sq. ft house (small). I can't imagine needing something big. At the same time, I want quality!

I'm inadequate in bed.... I'm trying to make up for it in speakers!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I don't think you will need two subs to fill out your room. One good one will due and then you will have less to worry about in terms of room modes and cancellation issues. With your budget you have a lot of choices and $1500.00 is a lot to spend in that size room. Any sub that is linear and produces low distortion values will work well with both HT and music. Take a look a subs made by Velodyne, SVS and HSU. Of all the Velos, I happen to like the DLS 5000R, 15'' driver 600 watts RMS and a built in EQ. At $600.00 it's a steal. I'm certain you will get plenty of recommendations from members that will help you chose the right sub and probably save you a bit of change too.

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As I recall, the Velo SPL series is very good - but not the best for low end extension. What aspects of the SPL1200 made you select it as your favorite?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
As I recall, the Velo SPL series is very good - but not the best for low end extension. What aspects of the SPL1200 made you select it as your favorite?
Please forgive my 'expert' terminology:

It sounded like it didn't have that 'generic' bass sound... It was smooth.

It didn't sound forced.

I matched it up to the Martin Logan subs they had at Tweeter. They had one going for 1000 and another going for 2000. They hit hard (probably that "low extension" that everyone is always referring to). The thing was, it didn't sound 'natural' when listening to music.

I'm sure they destroy the Velo speakers when listening to movies; that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to have to take back sub after sub. They weigh too much and I'm purely too damn lazy. :cool:

The thing is, I want my movies to sound incredible. I know I need to focus on this aspect and unfortunatly, I didn't spend enough time at Tweeter to really 'get to know' the sub's performance very well.

At this point, I'm going to pick my first sub PURELY off of everyones advice.

I bought the Ascends without ever hearing them (knowing that there is a 30 day policy).

The thing is, when the guns and cannons fire off in a war movie, I want to jump... The sound.. which speaker is it coming (primarily) from? Is it the sub or is it the woofers in my floorstanding speakers?

I don't have a clue what I need.... I'm hoping you can tell me...

This low extension that the Velo's lack....

BASICALLY.... what will I miss out on without it?

Dazed and confused...

Bruce...

P.S...

Remember.... I am very aware that I haven't tested out enough sub's to make a purchase yet. I am impatient. At the same time, I am really trying to be happy with my first purchase. :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think your best bet will be to go with a used velodyne HGS-15 or 18. You could find one on the used market for right around $1200-$1500 easily. I have an HGS 15 hitting into the 18's in a ~4500 cuft room.

The PB12 Ultra is also a very nice option. It can be had new for $1300 delivered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun
I think your best bet will be to go with a used velodyne HGS-15 or 18. You could find one on the used market for right around $1200-$1500 easily. I have an HGS 15 hitting into the 18's in a ~4500 cuft room.

The PB12 Ultra is also a very nice option. It can be had new for $1300 delivered.
Velodyne, HGS-15BG, $1,199.00 without shipping.

Velo's. I personally liked them. At the same time, I need more time with them.

What are you running your sub with?

Let me know if you'd be down for a visit.

I work pretty close to you...I work for NSA.

MORE IMPORTANTLY::::::::::

Will this sub overpower my current speakers? Remember, I'm only getting Ascends, not Martin Logans.

I don't want to knock the Ascends (yet). At the same time, I don't want to pretend a $500 dollar set of fronts will match up to high end speakers. My deal is, I'm going to buy the Ascends for my front's and center. I'm trying to find something that matchs the speakers (for now).

I would hate to like my Ascends and have to return them because I bought a used sub that, although wonderful, made my speakers sound like crap.

Can a sub overpower a HT setup.

I can lower the volume when listening to music. With movies, if I lower the volume to blend the sub with my speakers, will it kill the potential of the sub? Will it keep my sub from hitting the lower extensions. Will it ruin my movie expirence?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I really don't understand the concept of "I'm afraid my sub will overpower my mains". I have always thought that a sub's job is to provide the bottom foundation of the sound, but that in a properly set-up system the bass is almost transparent - especially in music. I think a good sub is really not noticied - until it is turned-off - and then it is missed! Is it possible you will be unhappy with the midrange & top-end performance of your mains? Sure - but other than matching the crossover area, I think the sub has very little to do with the mains performance - if they suck, they will suck with a [email protected] sub or a great sub! ;) BTW, I doubt the Ascends will suck - they have a great reputation and many happy customers.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
don't worry about disproportionate spending on a sub compared with your other speakers. It takes much more energy and $$ reproducing lower frequencies, the above advice so far has been good, take heed. The Velo HGS and DLS are much better IMO than the SPL, the latter is for someone where limited space is the primary comcern. SVS PB12 Ultra and PB12 Plus are great for the $900-1200 range and the Hsu VTF MK2 is a great sub for $700.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod
don't worry about disproportionate spending on a sub compared with your other speakers. It takes much more energy and $$ reproducing lower frequencies, the above advice so far has been good, take heed. The Velo HGS and DLS are much better IMO than the SPL, the latter is for someone where limited space is the primary comcern. SVS PB12 Ultra and PB12 Plus are great for the $900-1200 range and the Hsu VTF MK2 is a great sub for $700.
I was really considering the VTF-3 MK 2.... I probably should take the plunge and avoid extra shipping costs.... I don't think they've shipped the speakers yet...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
just to throw a wrench onto your plans, you may want to wait for the HO version which is touted to have better low freq extension than the current version. The current version supposedly can be retrofitted with the turbo but the newer HO will probably still perform a little better. Either you way you'll have a good sub.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
That could well be quite a long wait if progress to date is any indication. If you're in the market now, then get the VTF-3 MK 2 that you're interested in, or look elsewhere.

Tim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut
That could well be quite a long wait if progress to date is any indication. If you're in the market now, then get the VTF-3 MK 2 that you're interested in, or look elsewhere.

Tim
I took the plunge already!

Thanks...

I think I might bring home the Velo too.... I'll send back which ever I don't like!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KETA144
I took the plunge already!

Thanks...

I think I might bring home the Velo too.... I'll send back which ever I don't like!
If you are going to have both subs why not do a comparison thread? ;) Good luck and enjoy!

Ian :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
If you are going to have both subs why not do a comparison thread? ;) Good luck and enjoy!

Ian :)
I don't know how to explain myself (technically) with words. I'm not going to be able to set my speakers up correctly. I'm sharing my girlfriends apartment on a temporary basis. There isn't really a controlled area to test out the sub.

I'll probably explain my feelings about the subs. At the same time, I don't think I'lll make it official until I hear someone asking about them.

We'll see...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my subwoofer (VTF-3 MK2), now I'm really confused......

I have 2 LFE inputs on the back of my sub (right and left)....

I have one output on the back of my receiver....

1) How do I hook it up? Do I need a splitter of some sort or do I plug the wire into one of the inputs? Which input?

2) What kind of cable do I need? I have heard about needing an RCA cable. People are saying I need a shielded RCA cable...Is this true?

3) Can I get away with using any RCA cable or do I need a specific type?

I have a bunch of RCA cables laying around the house. I'm nearly 100% sure they are not shielded. Does this matter?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Replied in speakers section. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12andy
Replied in speakers section. ;)

LOL.....Now I see what you meant in the Audio set-up section....

LOL.....Now I feel like a dumb donkey!

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Np. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12andy
Np. :)
They'betta not be..... :D

I don't want to have to come hard.... :p

I thought you were being mean....(at first)... :mad:

I'm glad you're cool..... :cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lol, sorry if I kinda sounded like an ass there.

All for the love of forums and hobbies, I say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.