AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have decided that now may be the time to replace my 32" CRT TV. I am looking at the DLP and LCD sets in the 60" range. I would like to know what features (i.e. connections, etc) are necessary to be able to get full use out of the TV now and in the future.

For example, do I need firewire or VGA or both or neither? I don't currently plan to use my PC with my new HDTV, but I would like to have the option down the road. Also, it seems as that PCs could become the cornerstone of a home theater with PVR, DVD-R, and other capabilities, so I would like to make sure that my TV would be compatable with whatever connections would be necessary.

It seems to me that a lot of changes have been made to inputs and other TV features (such as DVI) since the first HDTVs were produced 5+ years ago. I don't want to look back 5 years from now and say "Wow, I should have waited". I really do not want an oversized paperweight that is not functional. So, I have two questions:

1) What features/inputs that are currently available on HDTVs would you make sure that a new TV purchase has and how many of the different types of inputs are needed.

2) Are there any features/inputs on the horizon that would be worth waiting a year or so for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
With CRT's dominating sales in the US market, and you only wanting to look at LCD- Sony and DLP- Samsung, you have pretty much already gotten itdown to 2 manufacturers. To each their own but I have yet to see one in either of those that had close to the detail of a good CRT set,and not to mention they have 0.0 black level, which some people are quite fond of.

If it has to be one or the other then I would say LCD because there are so many reported problems with Samsungs DLP, or maybe a LCOS which is a hybrid of both but looks better then both also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The holy grail of HDTV is a 1080p display. The problem is the number of consumer sets that can do it today, you can count on your left hand. Not to mention they are incredibly expensive. Of course this is going to change soon, but not too soon. Probably within 2 years I would expect 1080p sets to be more prevailant and in 3-5 years be down to the price level of current 'premium technologies'.

So what should you look for in a new TV? Really just look at one that is going to get you by for 2-4 years. Trust me, when you see 1080p you will want it. So I guess spend what you wont mind getting rid of in 2-4 years. Me personally I picked up a 65 Toshiba Cinema for 2000 Last time I was at Fry's they had the newer model non-cinema for like 1700. Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi. You will hear people argue about these brands all day long. They are all so good, you can tweak any of them to look like any other. I would own any of them. The Toshiba just happened to be the best price at the time. Can't wait to get a 1080p set though. I hope someone comes out with a nice CRT 1080p set. I'm not really looking forward to being forced to go with a LCOS or future DLP variant.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think your choice is right. DLP or LCD will do 720p native which is good enough for next I'd say 5 years. Current models will have DVI which will give you conectivity for the future. I am not sure if firewire will remain present in A/V. Looks like more and more DVD players and set top boxes are comming out with DVI and without firewire, so future for firewire does not look so bright. It would not hurt to have it though. You might also want to take a look at single chip LCOS that are 720p native.

I have Samsung 61" DLP model and love it. You shoudl educate yourself about all the shortcummings of DLP, LCD and LCOS technologies and decide. And each techology has a solid list of its own issue. I also have a first generation 40" LCD and was never really happy with it. Second generation LCD is better, but my personal preference is still DLP.

My personal opinion is that 1080p is the thing of the future (beyond 5 years). Reference level 1080i and 720p signals looks ulmost unreal on 720p. DVDs look wonderfull as well on 720p. I do not think 1080p source material will be available any time soon, so 1080p sets will not be able to really show off for a good time to come. Currently you would have to do 3 chip LCOS to get 1080p, and this technology is probably less mature than DLP or LCD, not to mention bulky Toshiba sets that you would have to fit somewhere. When I showed 65" LCOS set to my wife, she said "over my dead body" will this monster come to my house. She was fine with 61" Samsung.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.