AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Samsung LN46C650 L1FXZA online. If anyone can tell me what to look for before opening and/or accepting it then it would be less likely that I would get stuck with it in case anything is wrong with it or should it not be as advertised. I apologize in advance if the question has already been answered, but there's a lot here which makes it lenthy to shift through and even after extensive searching on the forum that I did not find everything to know about buying this tv online. What I do know so far is the L1FXZA was added to the model number for the later production of the tv as a result of certain problems which samsung addressed in earlier or the original model by changes they made to the tv - problems which I am not altogether sure of. So I will look for the L1FXZA to come after the model number on the box - should I also open the box and look for that extra model number somewhere on the tv itself?

Anyway, take care and thanks.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Since the c650 is last years model I would check the internal packaging to make sure it wasn't a return or signs that it may be a refurb...batteries for the remote still in the shrink wrap is the first place I would look...power cord and any manuels still in sealed packages...the adhesive plastic that covers the front of the display. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Did some salesman tell you all that about the model number suffix? Don't worry about it, the C650 was the third generation of basically the same tv and should be just fine regardless of suffix. It probably just refers to a firmware version which you can update anyway.

I'd also not be concerned about it being last year's model as long as all else is ok. The A, B, and C650s were excellent sets, especially for the price, and in some respects better than anything Samsung makes now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did some salesman tell you all that about the model number suffix?

i read it online

anything to watch out for? panel type (to avoid) (ex: sq01) which is denoted under the barcode on the box and also on the set? i'm not asking just to find something wrong. i just don't trust online dealers but i don't have a walk in store to choose from at this point unless it is a floor model or open box special from sears as I am only interested in buying new.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have a B650 (1 yr. earlier than the C tho almost the same tv), with the C screen and it's one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen on HD tvs. No flashlighting or uneven lighting across the screen, just a uniform clear as a bell pic (FIOS HD with component cables). Turn it on to the standard setting, you'll adjust later as necessary, and see how it looks.

When you first turn it on you should be presented with a set up screen asking for language, etc. If not, it's been used before. A C model would seem to have to be a return or refurb as they brought out the Ds last March.

If all is well, it's a great tv.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog schnorkl /forum/post/20936445

Did some salesman tell you all that about the model number suffix?

i read it online

anything to watch out for? panel type (to avoid) (ex: sq01) which is denoted under the barcode on the box and also on the set? i'm not asking just to find something wrong. i just don't trust online dealers but i don't have a walk in store to choose from at this point unless it is a floor model or open box special from sears as I am only interested in buying new.

Sorry, forgot about the panel lottery. I think the panel type is denoted in the serial number and not the model number?

At this point, since these are discontinued and have been for a very long time, it's not going to be possible to find one with the particular panel you want anyway.

I also think the whole panel lottery issue is somewhat overblown anyway. Just because an issue becomes a big deal among a handful of OCD folks on the internet doesn't mean it's a big deal out here in the real world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts