AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had my 410V for just over 6 months now and its "ok". I find that in certain scenes in movies(usually blue skies and open fields) there is too much pixel noise(that pulsating effect). However i am very impressed with the

410V as a CD player.

My plan is the keep the 410V as a CD player and purchase a new DVD upscaler. I definately want DTS which the 410 does NOT have.

From what i have read the best option under $100 are:

Sony DVP NS 700

Pioneer DV48AV

Philips DVP5982

Toshiba XD E500

Any thoughts?

S

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ummm...the 410v has DTS output. Also, I think it's a great player. I had the Sony 700 before returning it for the Pioneer. The Pioneer definitely had better picture and sound quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh /forum/post/15587775

Ummm...the 410v has DTS output. Also, I think it's a great player. I had the Sony 700 before returning it for the Pioneer. The Pioneer definitely had better picture and sound quality.

thanks for the reply

when i click the DTS button on my Marantz Reciever, it reads "Incompatible" but when i click the Dolby button, it works fine. This happerns for all DVDs.

i figured that the 410V does not pass DTS.

am i doing something wrong?

thanks

S

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
make sure your 410v is outputting bitstream to your receiver

and before you play a movie you select dts sound from the dvd menu

not all dvds have dts sound track :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not sure any of those you listed are better than the 410.

Maybe the flickering is a TV setting issue? Sharpness up to high? Perhaps it's dithering? Do you own a plasma?

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
DV-48av is the elite version of 410. So it will be almost identical.

All DVD players support DTS. cpu8088 is right.

If you want a new better upscaler, you don't need to look far. Oppo players get high praises from this forum. The ones you listed probably won't be any better than your 410v.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/15592382

I'm not sure any of those you listed are better than the 410.

Maybe the flickering is a TV setting issue? Sharpness up to high? Perhaps it's dithering? Do you own a plasma?

It's a 40 inch Samsung LCD(40A550).

I am connected to my Marantz Via Digital Coax and to my TV Via HDMI cable.

I have tried everything and just cant get the DTS to work.

I have heard really good things about the Toshiba XD E500. Maybe i will buy it and make a detailed comparison between the two. At worse i can just return it.

Ill update this thread with my results.

What else should i try for the DTS to work, last night i was watching the new movie "Wanted" and i know for sure that it has DTS.

S

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if you are sure the "wanted" has dts track you should be able to select the "sound/language" thru menu before movie starts

please try and report back.

also ensure your receiver can decode dts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Wanted does not have a DTS track. Most new releases don't feature DTS tracks.

Make sure to turn the DTS option in the 410's home menu on.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe /forum/post/15592608

You should post it to 410 owner's thread. I'm sure you will get plenty of help there for how to properly configure you player. All players made in last 10 years support DTS.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe /forum/post/15592608

I have heard really good things about the Toshiba XD E500. Maybe i will buy it and make a detailed comparison between the two. At worse i can just return it.

Ill update this thread with my results.

What else should i try for the DTS to work, last night i was watching the new movie "Wanted" and i know for sure that it has DTS.

S

As long as you can return them, try as many as you can. That's the best way to know for a fact you have what you really want. Also, Oppo does have a 30day return policy, I would also try whatever model you can afford there. I have never personally tried a 980 or 981 so I can't compare it to the 410. I thought the 410 was an above average player (PQ wise) especially considering it's price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, how it (Pionner DV410) compares with XD-E500 interms of PQ and audio. I am looking to get either one of this for my new TH42PX80.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have the 410v and the same telvision as you, skvadivel, and the combination is excellent in my opinion. Some DVD's truly can fool one into believing they're true HD, such as Speed Racer, Fifth Element, and so on. And sitting about 10-12 feet away from the TV, practically everything looks like Blu-Ray. I haven't had any problems with it at all and for the price, you can't go wrong. It has a number of features that the Toshiba is missing, such as DIVX playback and 4:3 squeeze.

I haven't had any in-home experience with the Toshiba, but I had it hooked up in Circuit City to the TH42PX80 to see what the picture looked like since I was interested in it, and the picture was pretty atrocious (the special settings on or off made little difference). Even after adjusted the settings on the television, it just looked bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts