AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Samsung HTIB (HW-C560S) and I want to upgrade the sound quality, however, I don't know where to start. Should I start to upgrade the subwoofer, as it is passive? Or the front/left speakers? Or centre? I was even thinking of upgrading the receiver? Hope you guys can help me out since I don't know too much about Home Theatre audio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24444947

Budget for your upgrade?
About $300-500? I am not looking to upgrade the whole system now, just want to know what is the best component to first upgrade and to give me a noticeable upgrade in sound quality.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would probably get a new receiver a sub woofer. Your speakers should be okay for a little while until you can upgrade them, start with the front three, then surrounds after that.

For a new receiver, I think this Denon AVR-E300 would be a good choice. It has networking and Audyssey room correction to configure and calibrate your speakers. You can get it manufacturer refurbished with a warranty for a very nice discount here: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

For a sub, this NXG BAS 500 is a great choice. It is surprisingly musical for its price, and is probably the best option under $300. If you want to spend a little less, the BIC F-12 is another good choice.

NXG 500: http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G

BIC F-12: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394136063&sr=1-1&keywords=f-12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447867

I would probably get a new receiver a sub woofer. Your speakers should be okay for a little while until you can upgrade them, start with the front three, then surrounds after that.

For a new receiver, I think this Denon AVR-E300 would be a good choice. It has networking and Audyssey room correction to configure and calibrate your speakers. You can get it manufacturer refurbished with a warranty for a very nice discount here: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

For a sub, this NXG BAS 500 is a great choice. It is surprisingly musical for its price, and is probably the best option under $300. If you want to spend a little less, the BIC F-12 is another good choice.

NXG 500: http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G

BIC F-12: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394136063&sr=1-1&keywords=f-12
So upgrading the receiver will actually give me an upgrade in sound? Is that because a new receiver has higher quality amps in it?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I, like you, built my home theater up over time. I would never have the funds to buy everything I own up front! I wouldn't upgrade the receiver unless you have a reason to upgrade it. I think eventually going to something that allows for some room correction would serve you well, but the general rule is that speakers are going to have a much bigger impact than the AVR. $500 gets you into the bottom end of the zone where there are some great subs on the market. I think a SVS PB-1000 would be a nice upgrade for you. If it were me I would start with the sub. From that point you might want to look at replacing the front sound stage (Left, Center, Right).

As others have said, the surrounds would be the last thing I focus on. I'm using the same surround speakers today that I was using 10 years ago when I was 18. They are in desperate need of an upgrade at this point, but the sub, fronts, and AVR should come first.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby322  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447883

So upgrading the receiver will actually give me an upgrade in sound? Is that because a new receiver has higher quality amps in it?
I personally don't think so. You will get more noticable improved sound with keeping your receiver and upgrading your speakers.

The receiver you have isn't a normal HTIB receiver its an actual receiver. Sure there are better ones out there but you will get better sound out of better speakers

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Subwoofer - my top 2 subs for under $600.

Rythmik LV12R

SVS PB 1000

HSU and Outlaw also make very good subs.  

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's how I started, orginally with a Samsung dvd htib in 2009, then started getting the urge for more "sound" etc; read so much til I was totally confused & finally settled on a reconditioned Onkyo HT-RC180 ($349) from accessories4less & for speakers had no clue what to get, & just decided to get Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2 bookshelf speakers ($299) to start with & a center ($99). Sub was the BIC F12 & for a while it was enuff, but not for more than a year lol. Altho the MS speakers were good enuff for beginning, I soon discovered they lacked so I then upgraded to Polk Monitor Series, 70s for fronts & surrounds & 40s for wides & a CS2 center & then after reading so much on the sub forum, knew it was time to dump the F12 & wanted Rythmik but they were out of stock so went with HSU & haven't looked back since. Then I started eyeing the beautiful cherry finish on the RTi A line & oh mah gosh, just knew I had to have those lol. Put my Monitors up on eBay & after they all sold, got an all new setup eventually. Took a couple of months but oh man, was it ever worth it! I even upgraded my avr just this week to an Onkyo 818 & couldn't be more pleased with my lil home theater! Once bitten, it's hard to stop but I think I've just about got everything where I want it to be!!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447914

I personally don't think so. You will get more noticable improved sound with keeping your receiver and upgrading your speakers.

The receiver you have isn't a normal HTIB receiver its an actual receiver. Sure there are better ones out there but you will get better sound out of better speakers

That is good to know, I assumed it was more of a typical HTIB receiver. In which case he can upgrade speakers and sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so I see the consensus here is speakers upgrade first. Now, I want to upgrade the subwoofer definitely but I also want to upgrade one of the fronts. I don't know if I should upgrade the front/lefts first or the centre. I heard that 90% of audio goes through the centre channel so should I upgrade the centre before the front and lefts?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby322  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447933

Okay, so I see the consensus here is speakers upgrade first. Now, I want to upgrade the subwoofer definitely but I also want to upgrade one of the fronts. I don't know if I should upgrade the front/lefts first or the centre. I heard that 90% of audio goes through the centre channel so should I upgrade the centre before the front and lefts?

Ideally you want to upgrade all three at the same time, a pair of the Pioneer BS22 and C22 center would be $230 for example and a big improvement over your current speakers. You still have enough for that NXG sub and you would be making a big leap in sound quality.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447929

That's how I started, orginally with a Samsung dvd htib in 2009, then started getting the urge for more "sound" etc; read so much til I was totally confused & finally settled on a reconditioned Onkyo HT-RC180 ($349) from accessories4less & for speakers had no clue what to get, & just decided to get Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2 bookshelf speakers ($299) to start with & a center ($99). Sub was the BIC F12 & for a while it was enuff, but not for more than a year lol. Altho the MS speakers were good enuff for beginning, I soon discovered they lacked so I then upgraded to Polk Monitor Series, 70s for fronts & surrounds & 40s for wides & a CS2 center & then after reading so much on the sub forum, knew it was time to dump the F12 & wanted Rythmik but they were out of stock so went with HSU & haven't looked back since. Then I started eyeing the beautiful cherry finish on the RTi A line & oh mah gosh, just knew I had to have those lol. Put my Monitors up on eBay & after they all sold, got an all new setup eventually. Took a couple of months but oh man, was it ever worth it! I even upgraded my avr just this week to an Onkyo 818 & couldn't be more pleased with my lil home theater! Once bitten, it's hard to stop but I think I've just about got everything where I want it to be!!

This is an expensive and addicting hobby!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Indeed, but geez, my ears are in heaven lol!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:

I would try to go ahead and upgrade the front three at the same time, or at least close to the same time. I will admit that I upgraded my left and right speaker first, let my bank account recover, and then quickly went out and grabbed the matching center. You'll get some differing opinions here, but I think basically everybody is going be on board with wanting the front speakers timbre matched, which means not just buying within the same brand, but buying within the same series of speakers. Most companies out there will have a matching center to go with the left and right. I'm a little less convinced that you need to worry about timbre matching the surround speakers (unless you've got a deep love for 5/7 channel stereo). There is some debate out there that ideally you should be timbre matched all the way around, but again if funds are an issue just be sure the front three match. Also there is absolutely no reason you need to keep the sub in the same family.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's how I did it, bought my avr first, then the center, then the front bookshelf speakers, then the sub, then the surrounds. Took quite a few months, but that's how it is when you're on a tight budget lol. Wasn't long til I decided I needed a new plasma tv Ha!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:

Well you are best to upgrade all the front 3 at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447943

Ideally you want to upgrade all three at the same time, a pair of the Pioneer BS22 and C22 center would be $230 for example and a big improvement over your current speakers. You still have enough for that NXG sub and you would be making a big leap in sound quality.
In your budget there is no better upgrade available for that price that comes close to the Pioneers in their performance versus price. Spend the rest on a subwoofer and you are on your way.

Another cheaper option would be a pair of Polk Monitor 30's and the Polk CS1 center, for $190 from Polk's ebay store.(I am a fan of Polk and have had them exclusively in my setup.) Most people will end up recommending the Pioneers though and I don't blame them for that, if the second generation speakers were around when I was looking they would have gotten serious thought as they sound amazing for their price

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521185/what-should-i-upgrade#post_24447994

Well you are best to upgrade all the front 3 at the same time

In your budget there is no better upgrade available for that price. spend the rest on a subwoofer and you are on your way.

Another cheaper option would be a pair of Polk Monitor 30's and the Polk CS1 center, for $190 from Polk's ebay store. Most people will end up recommending the Pioneers though and I don't blame them for that.

Pioneer makes some very solid budget speakers! I spent many years with Pioneers floor standing speakers and was very happy with them. There is, of course, better speakers out there, but the Pioneer's would be a substantial upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I have to hold off on one of either the Front/Left or Centre. So if I have to choose between the two, what should I upgrade first, Front/Lefts or Centre? I am thinking of going with centre and sub upgrade because of 90% audio going through centre speaker claim that I heard of (honestly don't know if that is true or not). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Speakers last a long long time, and more money can definitely make a linear improvement. so I always say to spend as much as you can. Sometimes this means DON'T upgrade but suffer and save

I'm a speaker engineer and actually think an active sub will make a big difference. Passive sub crossovers just cannot really work due to impedance peaks. This is especially true at low price points which use cheap components. hopefully that receiver allows a setting to cut the bass out of the 5 speakers, which will free up amplifier headroom and reduce woofer motion for less distortion. again, try to invest as much as you can, a good sub will outlast your car.

then upgrade ALL THREE fronts. Save up if needed, do it right, not half-assed. The center is very important for movies though not 90%

1 - 20 of 20 Posts