Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First off, I am new to this forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone. This looks like a great place with a lot of very knowledgable people.

Up until very recently I had considered buying a RPTV. After learning about burn-in problems, I don't see any value in owning one. I would spend all my time worrying about burn-in rather than enjoying the TV.

This brings me to FPTV. I really like the advantage of a large screen, as well as piece of mind not having to worry about static images. However, I am very new to the HT enthusiast forums, and all of the info is very overwhelming. I was wondering if some people could give me recomendations on what to buy.

Here is my situation. I will use the projector for satellite TV, cable TV, DVD, and as a computer screen as well. I would like PIP so that I can watch TV while on the computer.

I was thinking about the Dell 4100MP. Is this a decent projector to start with? It seems to be very reasonably priced. BTW, my budget is around $1500 US, but if there is a good enough deal kickin around I would entertain the idea.

Also, would it be better for me to wait a year or so to let the technology improve and come down in price? I ask because my next purchase will either be a projector, or raw drivers to build a good set of tower speakers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mxkool167
Hi Everyone,

First off, I am new to this forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone. This looks like a great place with a lot of very knowledgable people.
Welcome, MX.

Quote:
Up until very recently I had considered buying a RPTV. After learning about burn-in problems, I don't see any value in owning one. I would spend all my time worrying about burn-in rather than enjoying the TV.
I take it you're a gamer? That's the biggest culprit for burn-in.

Quote:
This brings me to FPTV. I really like the advantage of a large screen, as well as piece of mind not having to worry about static images. However, I am very new to the HT enthusiast forums, and all of the info is very overwhelming. I was wondering if some people could give me recomendations on what to buy.
Check out projectorcentral.

Quote:
Here is my situation. I will use the projector for satellite TV, cable TV, DVD, and as a computer screen as well. I would like PIP so that I can watch TV while on the computer.
When you say "PIP", you actually are describing the use of a TV capture card installed in your computer (like an ATI All-in-Wonder).

Quote:
I was thinking about the Dell 4100MP. Is this a decent projector to start with? It seems to be very reasonably priced. BTW, my budget is around $1500 US, but if there is a good enough deal kickin around I would entertain the idea.
That's a good budget. You can get a good PJ at that price nowadays. Check out all of the info on projectorcentral.

Quote:
Also, would it be better for me to wait a year or so to let the technology improve and come down in price? I ask because my next purchase will either be a projector, or raw drivers to build a good set of tower speakers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)
Waiting for something better is always good. It's better than being in a big hurry. In a year, you'll get even more PJ for that $1500. One tip: I think you should keep in mind the ambient light problem (you have to make a room into a cave) with FP's. Many new buyers don't think this through enough. I don't have a problem with it, I'm a bachelor hermit with no visitors. However, most other people have lives. If you have a dedicated room, you're OK.

If you're torn between a PJ and speakers, I don't really know what to tell you. It doesn't really sound like you're desperate, so go read up on the aforementioned site. Good luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought a $999 X1 in June '03, now available for $750, and it kicks butt! I'm typing this on it now, with 5 lamps on in the room.

Movies tend to be a bit dark though so I am upgrading to a LT240k after much research. Twice as bright, higher resolution (dont need it though) but 1/2 the bulb life and 50% higher replacement bulb cost. Oh well... I am so happy I bought the X1!!!!!!!!!!!

Neighbors come over to watch it on weekend nights, just like back in the day when only one family on the street had television.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ******
Neighbors come over to watch it on weekend nights, just like back in the day when only one family on the street had television.
Thats funny because my 96" Carada / X1 / HDTV-Wonder combo has quickly designated me as Sports game hangout. The wifey aint too thrilled. :cool: The X1 does rock on HDTV.. the WOW factor is great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will the X1 work ok as a computer monitor as well? How would the X1 compare to the Dell 4100MP? I know the Dell is more of a presentation type monitor, but it has a better resolution, has all the hookups I would need, and is much brighter. Is it worse for moving images though?

And thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ******
I bought a $999 X1 in June '03, now available for $750, and it kicks butt! I'm typing this on it now, with 5 lamps on in the room.

Movies tend to be a bit dark though so I am upgrading to a LT240k after much research. Twice as bright, higher resolution (dont need it though) but 1/2 the bulb life and 50% higher replacement bulb cost. Oh well... I am so happy I bought the X1!!!!!!!!!!!
I am too. But that's because my Budget was 900$. Now if my budget were 1500$ I would of rather gotton a Infocus 4805. DVi input, component input, 4x color wheel and widescreen aspect ratio would be very nice to have instead of using a analog vga input, component adaptors and having widescreen content get cropped in a 800x600 4x3 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would not consider 4100MP, as it is an older model, with the same color wheel as the 2300MP. If you are ok with a 2x color wheel (see first impressions of 2300MP), then maybe the 2300MP is a better choice (same rez, more lumens, lower price). Will let you know tomorrow how good Doom3 looks on it (shouldn't be much of a rainbow problem in a dark game like that) hooked up to my p4 3.2, 1gb, Geforce6800gt power rig. Would post pictures, but I agree with all the automatic image processing going on in digital cameras, the output isn't going to be very similar to the actual image.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was only considering the 4100 because I can get it for around $1200 new (office liquidation sale). However, the more I read about it, the more bad impressions I get.

I'm starting to think the X1 may be the way to go. I know of one I can get for around $700-800 and it has 40 hrs on the bulb. Is this a reasonable price? Or can I do better?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
I was only considering the 4100 because I can get it for around $1200 new (office liquidation sale). However, the more I read about it, the more bad impressions I get.

I'm starting to think the X1 may be the way to go. I know of one I can get for around $700-800 and it has 40 hrs on the bulb. Is this a reasonable price? Or can I do better?
The question you ought to be asking is why are they selling it with only 40 hours on it? Do the reasons why they are getting rid of it bother you? I am not trying to talk you out of the X1, however, it seems to be a logical question. If the reason why you are not considering the Dell 4100 is because of rainbow problems, then the X1 will have the same problem (as it has the same speed color wheel... correct?) so you should consider another unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The X1 is through a liquidation clearance centre. Lots of business going under around here I guess :( It is supposedly tested and guarenteed to work.

Is that a decent price though? Anbd keep in mind I am in Canada.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MXcool-

My uses are very similar to what you list above. I decided on a 4:3 projector due to the high percentage of 4:3 usage. I picked up an Optoma H30 about 5 months ago and am still thrilled with it. It's a few hundred more than the X1 but boasts improvements such as 4X RGBRGB color wheel. I would encourage you to read the Projector Central review of it from a few months ago. The image it can throw out for DVD is startling for a unit in this price range. A few people who own it and have seen an X1 (I have not) say it is a substantial step up in picture quality.

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased a dell 4100MP. Overall, i really like it. All the features in need. A lot of projector for the money.

I am having a little trouble getting the color right. Of course, I haven't purchased a screen yet and it may be operator error. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.