AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go the HTPC plus CRT route. So that is a given. I am considering used projectors like the Marquee 8500, NEC XG135, NEC XG110LC, Sony G70. I know they are all good projectors, which each of them being someone else's favorite. In looking at the specifications for the various projectors, I see specifications for horizontal scan rate, vertical scan rate, refresh rates, resolution capability, and on and on and on. Please excuse me if I have mixed up some of these terms. What I am trying to do is prioritize all these specs. Within each of these specs, what range should I be looking for as unacceptable, acceptable, good, great. I want to maximize the capabilities of an HTPC with an 8" projector that can best do this. If I end up buying a projector that can't use all that an HTPC can deliver, I at least want to know what compromises I am making, before I make them. Thanks for all input.

Carl

[This message has been edited by japanam (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You might want to ask on the projector forum. I'm an RPTV guy myself, but basically what I suggest is that you think about what kind of resolution and refresh rate you want as a goal. The resolution you need is a function of the screen image size and viewing distance (well, and the beam spot size.) 480p is barely tolerable with a 55" image at 8 feet, but once you step back to 14 feet, you might not notice the difference between 480p and 1080i. 1800x1200i at 72 Hz on a large screen would rock.

Once you decide on a goal resolution, then use Powerstrip => Display profiles => advanced timing options => custom resolutions and see if you can fit the resolution you want within the vertical/horizontal refresh rates of a given candidate projector. Oh, you may need to set your Windows monitor to a mondo front projector first, like the Sony GDM-W900, or to your candidate projector if Windows has it. If that works out, the projector should sync to what you want. That's not 100% of the equation - there is still the question of what it actually looks like at that resolution - but at least it might narrow down your list of candidates.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV, Hughes Platinum & Gold receivers

Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE w/TV-out, Cybermail, Toshiba M1201B 5X DVD, IRMan

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer (blush)

nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker, 4 more soon
s>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.