AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just booted my dev system and noticed it said rdram clock 400 mhz. Somehow that number seems different but I admit I haven't paid much attention to it.

This is a P4T-E 2.4 Ghz P4 system with PC800 rdram.

Anybody know if this is correct? Or did I screw up something installing XP last week? I know that some motherboards will reset things to bios defaults if you take a hit during the boot sequence.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
400 MHz is correct for PC800 RDRAM. RDRAM run 16-bit, at 400 MHz equals PC800. At 533 MHz you need PC1066 RDRAM.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Esben -

Thanks. This is an older upgraded 1.7 Ghz system so it is running PC800, but with a faster CPU.

If PC1066 memory ever gets cheaper I'll go to the trouble of finding if I can upgrade to it on this mobo.

- Tom

·
Registered
134 Posts
P4T-E -> i850 = Does not support 533 FSB.

While the i850 can easily be overclocked to reach that the ram clock generator found on this mobo don't work very well above 500MHz (some P4T have the proper PLL but they are very rare). So most likely you'll end up with an unstable system.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Don't hold your breath for Rambus to start getting less expensive. With the new Canterwood chipset, Rambus has been rendered entirely irrelevant for the time being. The Dual-channel Dual DDR solution allows 6.4 Gig memory bandwidth, significantly greater than even PC1066 RDRAM. Considering the fact that Rambus as a company has managed to bite every hand that feeds it and piss off a number of significant computer industry entities with their legal circus, I don't think we'll be seeing Rambus support on any chipsets until they a: change the way they do business and b: come up with something that represents a quantum leap over what is currently achievable with Dual DDR. In losing their exclusivity with the P4 chipsets, Rambus lost their only friend. Of course, maybe all of this WILL result in discounted prices for PC1066, but on the other hand, the soon-to-be obscurity of the RDRAM technology might result in little production and disproportionate demand to support the very popular 533fsb P4s, and thus higher prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.