AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished with my media server build and now I'm wondering what size UPS to use. I followed Renethx's guide almost to the letter for a media server using a Norco 4020 case. I used the recommended 850W power supply as well, but I don't think it would be necessary to size the UPS for 850W as the server will rarely operate at max load. As a matter of fact, I'll be lucky to use half of the available drive bays once I have all of my data loaded. I just figured it would be better to have the extra space for later.

So, any suggestions on what size battery backup to use?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you get a UPS that is larger than the amount of power normally being consumed by the load on it you get the benefit of a longer supply time since UPSs are normally rated to supply the rated output or 20 minutes that means that can supply have the rated output power for 40 minutes. I suggest that you get one for the full load capcity of your system or even more becasue you may want to put your moitor or router and broadband modem on it also.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Normally I would size a backup for max load as you said, but getting a >850W UPS is a little on the expensive side. I'm also not concerned with uptime; I would just like to provide power long enough for the system to shut down normally (hopefully to save wear and tear on the hard drives etc.).

·
Registered
48 Posts
A good tool for checking actual watts used verses rated watt is the kill-o-watt meter. My feasibility test HTPC has a rated PS of 450 watts, but averages only 125 watt usage. The new HTPC I'm building will have a 550 watt PS and I would be surprised if it uses any more watts. I bought a APC 750 VA for my needs. Note, this UPS is used for the PC only.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101311

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great idea! Looks like those meters are pretty cheap as well. It will be interesting to see just how much power this thing uses.

I was considering getting a rack mounted backup, but the UPS you linked to seems to have all the features I need, and is cheap as well. It's hard to ask for much more than that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts