AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run the blue carlon flex tube to all my TV locations from the media closet. It's new construction and will run inside 2"x4" walls. The 1" stuff looks a little too small and the shop I will be buying from didn't have the 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" tubes. They did have 2" but it looks like overkill and I don't want to chop up my top plates that much. So what size do you guys run?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I normally install 1 1/4" especially for longer runs.

If you're just going 4-5ft up a wall for a single HDMI cable, 1" will work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I bought several 10' lengths of the 1-1/4" gray PCV electrical conduit and am going to use that in the attic for the long straight runs then connect the blue smurf tube to it and run it down the walls to my TV media boxes.

I measured my longest runs at about 80+ feet. I was planning on running component cables, maybe mini cables the whole way but now I am wondering if I might be asking for trouble at that length and might be better off running cat5 to component baluns?

·
Registered
434 Posts
You shouldn't have problems running component cables / mini at that distance ... I generally run mini component for runs up to 100' and then use baluns for longer runs. Having said that, you should consider running several cat5e/6 cables to each tv as well for HDMI video and control; running 4 to 5 cat6 would give you the most flexibility (HDMI baluns, ir/serial control, ethernet) in future.

(Plus it's easier to use a cat6 than mini-5 as an emergency pull-string!)

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 Inch is way to small for anyhting other coax, phone or cat5. I know I have it in my house and its a pain in the @$$.

If you have to use it go as big as you can and make multiple runs of it in the places you expect to have the most gear. For me thats my media closet , bedroom wall , living room wall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already installed the 1-1/4" gray PVC conduit in the attic and had planned on connecting blue smurf to it for the runs down the walls. But my local electrical store said they only sell 1-1/4" blue smurf in rolls of 750'. I only need about 150' of it so I canceled the order. Instead they said I could buy the orange 1-1/4" in 100' rolls so that's what I ordered.

Is there any reason why most here use the blue ENT instead of the orange stuff?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Orange is for low voltage (i.e. a/v, networking, etc), blue is (I believe for) power-rated cabling (120V or whatnot), red for security/fire alarm ? and yellow for communications? (you can just use orange for that since it's LV).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts