AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a DIY screen, 9 feet wide @ 16:9, what would the recommended black screen border size be? Should I go with 3 inches all around?

I plan on covering the edging with black velvet to absorb light. My personal feeling is that the larger the edging is, the smaller it makes the screen appear in comparison-- but this is only my theory so I may be off.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Three inches all around seems reasonable. For my DIY 94x40 2.35:1 screen I made the borders 4 inches all around, because that was the size of the Duvetyne tape that I bought. When the lights are out and the movie is playing, you will not see the border, so it will not affect your perceived screen size.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've thought a lot about this as I'm getting ready to go from an 8' wide 16:9 DIY blackout cloth screen to a 9'. I've already decided on 3". My 8' has 1-1/2" black velveteen borders and I often wish I would have gone 2-1/4" (standard door and window molding measurements which is what I used). I think 3" would be just right and in no way make a 9' wide screen look wimpy. You'd probably even be good at 4" but I think 3" would look nicer.

Brent

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
after the borders, make your entire wall black, if possible. This will make your image pop out more.

James

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Ditto, Mike, I used 1x4 wrapped in black felt on a 96x54 BO screen against a very dark blue and the image is fabulous, it seems to float in space.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can the borders be too big? What would bigger than normal borders do to the image?

I will have a motorized screen for use in a family room. The screen, when extended, will be in front of some windows with roman shades. I was thinking if this was possible to have a 92" X 52"screen (viewable) onto something much larger with blackout all around.......maybe 1' each direction.

What's the issues with this idea?

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.