AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating with my dad of either getting a 37" or a 40" Samsung LNXXA550 for the living room. He constantly keeps saying that getting a TV too big while you're sitting too close is bad for your eyes. I know that, and I measured it from the couch to the stand and it's roughly around 9 feet (8.6 to be exact). So I was wondering is 40" a good size and will I see any pixelation if I get a 40" vs. a 37" LCD?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your own personal preference as well as room dynamics (i.e. is it a living room/ family room and therefore a shared space?) My personal preference would be between 42" to 46"(or 47") Some will contend that THX recommends 52" for the full HT effect, but at that size it would dominate a smaller room . If however its' sole function is to serve as a display in a room designated as a Home Theater than 52" is awesome.

Good Luck

P.S. any reason why you ruled out plasma?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No you shouldn't see pixelation from 9 ft. I have a 40" Sony KDL40S3000 (720p) and sit about 7ft away and I don't notice any. Sorry for the previous post being somewhat off topic, I didn't realize from the thread title that you had the size narrowed down to 40" and 37". So between the 2 I would say 40"

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elviathan /forum/post/14277487

I'm debating with my dad of either getting a 37" or a 40" Samsung LNXXA550 for the living room. He constantly keeps saying that getting a TV too big while you're sitting too close is bad for your eyes. I know that, and I measured it from the couch to the stand and it's roughly around 9 feet (8.6 to be exact). So I was wondering is 40" a good size and will I see any pixelation if I get a 40" vs. a 37" LCD?

That thing about sitting to close to the TV ruining your eyesight is an old wives tale. Here's one of many references you can show him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/health/07really.html

At least a 40", or a 46" would work if you want more of a theater experience.

Here's a good distance chart you can use:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-biDTS3X...placement.html

If you're concerned about the size being too big for the room, tape a couple pages of newspaper together and cut it to the size of the TV, then tape it up where you'll put it to see if the proportions seem right for the room.

Viewing a tv in a showroom on a wall of other TV's doesn't give you a good perspective as to the size of the TV. If you can find one in the size you want separated from other TV's, that will also work to give you some size perspective.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would say no smaller than a 42", go with at least a 46". If you don't you will be sorry in the future. Once the newness wears off you will start noticing things like "Wow it really looked bigger in the store"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haha, those TVs are tiny. You need atleast a 55" set at 9', though 60" would be ideal. The size wears off fast and you're stuck wondering why you didn't save up for something bigger. I watch a 42" plasma from 6' and can't wait to move up to a 50"-58" set.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Go for the larger model if your budget permits. You will not see any pixels even on 50" 1080P set at that distance. FP is okay for your eyes unless you watch them in a dark room. Watching a direct display in a dark room could make some people uncomfortable.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probate Ted /forum/post/14446805

Haha, those TVs are tiny. You need atleast a 55" set at 9', though 60" would be ideal. The size wears off fast and you're stuck wondering why you didn't save up for something bigger. I watch a 42" plasma from 6' and can't wait to move up to a 50"-58" set.

Same here.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elviathan /forum/post/14277487

What are the room dimensions ? What's the primary use of the room?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 55" at 9 feet and think it is far from too big... in fact I think anyone that says there is such a thing is delusional. Movie Theater screen to seating distance ratios are much larger than that. That is with a CRT RP and when I go flat panel I will likely upgrade to 60" or so because it will sit another 18" or so back. If I had room for a 100" projector on the wall I would do that too... unfortunately the area for the screen is limited.

And hurting your eyes?? Your focus is still on an object exactly the same distance away... so how could the size of that object have any effect on your eyes?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts