AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the beginning stages of designing a new house to build. This room will be in a 3 story home (no basement). It will be in a beach house so I can't have a basement because of the water table is to high. Anyway......I am wanting to have a 120 inch screen and enough seating for about 8 or 9 people. I am planning on getting the nice recliner seating etc. I am also going to have a riser as well for the back row seating. In the rear of the room maybe a small snack area etc. What size room do I need to build to get the all of this in there? Width and length??? I know about the 1.5 screen distance etc etc...but I know you guys can figure it out a lot faster.....lol. I live in an old 1940's hotel right now, and I have built my own theater....not elaborate by any means, but rocks on clarity and sound. This screen is 110 inches and I use an InFocus 5700.
My Little Theater

Any ideas or imput before I begin? I hope to start with blueprints in the next month or so.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
You definitely need 2 rows of seating, and a few feet behind that for your snack area. I would say at least 24' deep and 14' wide.

·
Registered
24,866 Posts
I'm not going to say a certain size but I think Jim's numbers will get you there. I think you need to consider some future considerations if you are planning on this being "the house". If you look at thebland's theater you will see what a nice performing room with that size screen and 12 seats looks like. In that theater he has a 10' wide screen, 12 AI seats, tremendous audio performance and a room for the pj ( a must IMO for great isolation). For eight seats you can reduce about six feet in length ( exactly as Jim has recommended). Thebland's theater is 17'x30'x10'.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL....OK I wil invite you. Thanks for the imput so far. It really helps. I love the way that theater is set up. That is about exactly the size I want it to be too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you're going with a false screen wall with speakers behind it, that's going to add a few feet to the length.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...there will be no false wall for the screen. Just directly mounted on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.