AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As topic suggest, should i get a 40" or 46" from around 7-9ft.....primarily for gaming/bluray movies....

Id like to know how close others sit, and if they see any noticeable artifacts from closer viewing.....

Please share your setup and how it looks for hidef games and movies from your viewing distance, money isnt a concern for me (i cant afford a 52" though)....at this stage im looking at a sony xbr4 lcd

·
Registered
901 Posts
Anything between 42-46" would probably be ideal. It's a personal preference, but anything 50"+ would be too big from 7 ft away.

I have a 50" 720p plasma, which I sit about 10 ft away from. That's ideal for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i have a 58" sitting 7 feet away.... I believe for 1080p material this is ideal for my screen size, but I can't confirm that.... i'd say get as big as you can afford... to avoid the "I wish it was bigger" feeling after purchase

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sit about 9 ft. from a 52 (actually an XBR4) and think it's almost perfect. Wish it was a little bigger for movies that go beyond the 16:10 format and have the black bar on screen.

Personally I would choose the biggest for you budget, you won't be disapointed. I also wouldn't worry too much about the XBR4 name, just get a TV you like with 120 hz. Did you see the new Sony 52w4100, you should be able to find some good prices online ? Samsungs are nice tv's too.

Best of Luck

PS. Don't forget to search the LCD forums hear, some great information is passed along.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got a 56" that I'm no farther than 7-8 feet from. Is it a touch on the big side....yeah, but damn if it aint a beautiful 1080p set. Sometimes I sit backwards on my couch so I can get a tan on my back from the screen, instead of just on my front

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The old saying holds true..."bigger is better"

I sit approx 9 to 12' away depending on where I sit and I have a 52" lcd....sometimes I wish it was a 57 or 65" but that would mean a whole new Entertainment center and thousands more dollars so I bought what would fit

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
you purchase the largest quality television you can afford. Trust me, you will not always be sitting 7 feet away from it (see new home, room re-arrangement, etc).

I got a 46" xbr and everyday I wish I would have cut loose with $500 more and got the 52". I sit about 8-10' away. Don't be me.

simple as that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont really agree about the "bigger is better" i first had a 52" DLP in my entertainment room and it hurt my eyes while watching a movie, i had to scan back and forth (to close), the tv had problems so i exchanged it for a 46" LCD, and no problems w/ my eyes.

-J

·
Registered
545 Posts
^^^I'd have to agree (to a degree), purchase as large as you and your budget/space can handle, you'll be much happier in the long run - an HD display should be chosen based on picture quality, build quality, number of inputs, resolution, reputation(?), screen size, cost...etc...etc. Your room may dictate just how large of a screen you can get, but by no means should that be your deciding factor, unless your extremely limited by space, then obviously you'll need to reassess the situation.

My display is 65" with a viewing distance of 9'-11', perfect for my room. Here's a decent HT calculator pertaining to viewing distance, may help, may not.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I upgraded from 50" to 61" and was very very happy. Next set will be 67" or 73".

·
Registered
947 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to follow suit. I sit 8-9 ft away from my 42" and wish I would have dropped the extra $500 for 46".

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza /forum/post/14196408

i have a 58" sitting 7 feet away.... I believe for 1080p material this is ideal for my screen size, but I can't confirm that.... i'd say get as big as you can afford... to avoid the "I wish it was bigger" feeling after purchase

QFT

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I didn't expect to be the person going against the grain in here.

I picked up a 42" plasma and I sit about 7~9 feet away and I am totally happy with it. I'm glad I didn't drop the extra $400 on the 50" version as that would have just seemed too big in there.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
To the OP: various distance charts for HDTV viewing show that you will want at least 60" for how far you will be sitting (7'-9') to see the differences between 1080P and 720P.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
61" 1080p from 8-9 feet depending on weather I'm sitting back in the couch or sitting forward (usually during more intense gaming situations). I wish it were around 70".

1 - 20 of 78 Posts