AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of rocket speakers and am getting a 3803 probably. what size (guage) wire will I need for about 30-40 ft runs w/ a bit over 100w going out?

thanks,

Rob

PS: please let me know if there is anyplace you can recommend for good quality wire and price....does wire quality matter?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought I'd read all those days ago when the rockets were a pipe dream....

thanks.

I think I liked the Carol cable blue wire I used in my car that I bought from partsexpress....hmmm

any nicer looking wires I could get without too much expense?

also, at good guys today the salesguy showed my some monster cable that was 2.50$/ft which is outrageous but it was very solid looking with both wires insulated w/i a thick black rubber outer layer.

thanks kir

·
Registered
784 Posts
12 GA Depot wire is a great value.

For prettier wire, you can go with bulk Kimber 4PR, its an 8 conductor woven cable. It is available in bulk, and inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
I have a bunch of rocket speakers and am getting a 3803 probably. what size (guage) wire will I need for about 30-40 ft runs w/ a bit over 100w going out?
Rob:

Since you already have a set of Rockets , why not try the ONYX SP-200 Speaker wire from AV123? I know Sean uses it in his HT system with his Rockets and really likes it.

Being an existing customer, I'm certain they will take care of you on the price as well.

http://www.**********/products_produc...les&product=24

Good luck with your new system!

John W.

Indy

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
12 gauge or better. In fact, the manufacture for the speakers I am using (8-ohm nominal loading) erquires 12 AWG for runs of 30 or more feet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What about bi-wiring with 15 ga?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Do you guys use in-wall speaker wire or just the clear stuff? (for inwall installation of course)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am definately a newby at this so dont take my word on this...

I wanted prettier wire so after searching the internet on DIY wires, I decided to make my own. Cheap, Custom length, and they look good.

I was at Home Depot anyway looking for the 12 guage wire and stumbled across this 4 wire cable with a black jacket around all of them. I cut the jacket off at about 6 inches and twisted the opposite wires together, green with white, and red with black. Then I got some monster banana plugs (the 12 dollar for 4 kind and CC) b/c they hook up pretty tight and secure and fit well with thick wire. Oh, I used some shrink tubing to cover all everything but the end monster plug.

Bottom line, I spent:

4/14 guage cable .60/ft ------------They call it portable cable.

Monster banana $12/2pair

Shrink tubing $3.00

And that is it. Wire thickness is 14 guage x 2 so I dont know what that ends up being but definately equal or thicker than 12 guage.

Someone smarter than me tell me what you think...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.