AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a house with a large (29' x 18' with 11 foot ceilings) family room which will house the plasma and be the main HT room. 90% HT use. We are building an in-wall entertainment center and the speakers are all in-celing. The sub (s) will have to be put in the entertainment cabinet so have to be front firing. Do you think I need two subs? if so what size and make? Don't mind buying something used. Budget about $1500.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I can't imagine anything smaller than SVS Ultra/2. You will endup with another one down the road.That is a huge room (almost 5000 cu. ft. ).

15" drivers should be high on your list or dual 12" drivers. If you are a DIY guy IB would be the choice. Good luck and post when you settle in a sub.

KG

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I can't imagine anything smaller than SVS Ultra/2. You will endup with another one down the road.That is a huge room (almost 5000 cu. ft. ).

15" drivers should be high on your list or dual 12" drivers. If you are a DIY guy IB would be the choice. Good luck and post when you settle in a sub.

KG

My math tells me that is almost 6000 cu. ft. The Ultra 2 is a good choice but it will probably be out fo your price range. Also consider two Velodyne DLS 5000R's $600.00 each. 15'' driver 600 watts RMS, built in EQ and you come in $300.00 under budget.

Ian :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
SVS makes excellent furniture-quality subs. I've heard AV123 also has some nice subs. With that large a room, furniture-quality subs are more amenable to placement and therefore amenable to overall room decor and ambience. That way you don't need to hide a sub in the wall cabinet.

As for what size, it should be somewhere between the spousal reactions of, "What the #%@! is that?" and "Take it back, NOW!" :D

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I wouldn't shell out 1,200.00 for two lower quality Velo's in that big room unless a dealer let me take em' home first.Measure twice cut once.These forums are littered with good suggestions when the right one was yet to be heard.

This is the perfect example of a simple solution. The room measures 5700 cu. ft. Does the room empty into another cavern of a room so we can double our 5700. Is this room sealed off or open to the rest of the house.

How many people in this forum have two Velo's in a room this size that could give us some real numbers on performence.Then we could say that this guy has two of these subs in a room this big and they crap out below 22hz but felt strong from 22hz-40hz.

Anything a little more scientific than "the price is right"

KG

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I say get a pair of PB12-ISD/2 subs!!! :eek:

When you buy a pair of subs from SVS, they give you a slight deal. 2 of these bad boys would be a little over budget.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't shell out 1,200.00 for two lower quality Velo's in that big room unless a dealer let me take em' home first.Measure twice cut once.These forums are littered with good suggestions when the right one was yet to be heard.

Quote:
Anything a little more scientific than "the price is right"

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't exactly call the DLS 5000R a lower quality sub just because it offers more value. One thing I have learned by working in this industry is that you can't judge a product just by it's price tag. The 5000R probably produces more output dollar for dollar then any sub in Velodyne's arsenal. This of course is all subjective reasoning since we don't have any objective numbers on this sub yet. Bruce Hall assured me by e-mail some time ago that an independent review will be forthcoming. Once we have the data it will be interesting on how it will effect big SVS fans on their point of view. I do agree that it is always better to test one in your own living room but sometimes especially when it comes to these larger subs, that can be rather difficult, especially if it is being shipped to you.

Ian :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would suggest you take a look at a couple of Earthquake Sound subwoofers. You could get (2) kompressor 12" front firing subs or you could get (2) of their Thor inwall subs and run them off of one of the external amplifiers. Earthquake makes some great subs. PM me if you need any more info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

This is the perfect example of a simple solution. The room measures 5700 cu. ft. Does the room empty into another cavern of a room so we can double our 5700. Is this room sealed off or open to the rest of the house.

KG
Thanks for the advice so far guys; To update: The room empties into the kitchen on one side which is 17 X 15.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
So far your cubic footage is 8500cubic feet.Does the kitchen open to anything or is it all doors from there. What would be nice if a couple of guys had a room this big and what numbers they were pulling from their current subwoofer(s).

OK guys who's got a 8500 cubic foot room, and what do you use.This guy needs real owners with real numbers. Even a 20hz test tone and one octave 40hz test tone at the seating position.Thanx

KG

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
So far your cubic footage is 8500cubic feet.Does the kitchen open to anything or is it all doors from there. What would be nice if a couple of guys had a room this big and what numbers they were pulling from their current subwoofer(s).

OK guys who's got a 8500 cubic foot room, and what do you use.This guy needs real owners with real numbers. Even a 20hz test tone and one octave 40hz test tone at the seating position.Thanx

KG

It may be helpful to look at Tom Nousaine's list. His measurements are taken in his 7500 cu. ft. room.

http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm

Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
OBOY

Have you heard the Earthquake Thor In-Wall Sub?

I've looked all over and can't find a review anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.