AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50 inch if the TV depth were less than 20 inches, that would give me a 25 inch height and a 43.75 width, 10.5 inches wider view that I have now. How about you and *please* make this a nice thread, my temper comes from being Irish decendent.

:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
50 inch if the TV depth were less than 20 inches, that would give me a 25 inch height and a 43.75 width, 10.5 inches wider view that I have now. How about you and *please* make this a nice thread, my temper comes from being Irish decendent.

:)

Samsung 507W rear projection DLP is exactly this. I think 18 inches deep. Something around $3.5-$4k.

Maybe in a few more years there will be 3 chip DLP so no color wheel is needed - no rainbows,headaches,etc.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I don't like about these other formats is replacing the lamp every 1,000 hours which is only 76 days for my 13 hours on TV 7/365. I will be out of TV watching until repair man switches the lamp that's only good for another 76 days and so on.

Any format that doesn't need new lamps every 76 days? :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I agree on 50" being ideal. What I would like to be able to do is view it from 78" (3.2 X image height) on 16:9 material, but move it up to 60" for 2.35 AR movies to compensate for the 24% height loss. It shouldn't be too hard to do this with a plasma, but they need more development time (and some big price reductions) before I will take them seriously.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
When I was choosing between different screen sizes, I made cardboard cut-outs of the main sizes I was considering (all widescreen AR). The 38" was slightly too big, so I'm getting 34", which is perfect. I'm not big on empty space, or on a single object dominating my room and my life.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree when the time comes to replace the F-38310 or mother going to a home, 50 inch something would be nice to view from where I want to sit. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
The only thing I don't like about these other formats is replacing the lamp every 1,000 hours which is only 76 days for my 13 hours on TV 7/365. I will be out of TV watching until repair man switches the lamp that's only good for another 76 days and so on.

Any format that doesn't need new lamps every 76 days? :)

I hear they need lamp replacement every 5-10K hours actually. Supposedly, when replaced (a lightbulb) things look as new as day 1. But of course, after 20-30k hours I bet you have other problems, i.e.. color wheel tiring out.

Remember, CRT's phosphors do age. And power supplies tire out.

fast response LCD is the ideal, at native 1080p resolution. 10ms LCD at native 1920x1080. Thats what I'm waiting for. The flourescent backlights last thousands and thousands of hours, and are of course replaceable. I Don't know if LCDs themselves ever tire much within our lifespan. Do they?

My next dream screen = 50" LCD 1080P!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
With perfect geometry, compact dimensions, light weight, and probably longevity far beyond plasma, these would be truly ideal. I think I could slide one of these back & forth between 78" viewing distance (31-degree viewing angle) for 16:9 images, and 60" (40-degree viewing angle) for 2.35 images. This would deliver what filmmakers intend with the 2.35 AR - an image about 27% wider than the 1.85 academy standard. We defeat this when we sit at the same distance. All we get from the 2.35 AR is an image with 21% less height!

·
Registered
198 Posts
How nice you still use inches to measure your screen. My screen is 7ft wide

and its about right.

had to use that line.... seriously for a direct view tv 38" or 40" would be sufficient as long as depth was kept under 25" deep. I have yet to see the DLP's from Samsung.

carlos_r

HTPC/hipix/ecp4100(80x45 16:9)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.