AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bluray player now support avchd 2.0. Is there editing software that you can edit and burn a DVD avchd disc, that is still 1080p/60 as it is on the original file.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Hi


Which Blu-ray player now supports AVCHD2.0?


You can't get AVCHD2.0 onto a DVD, this is because DVD doesn't support the 28Mbps rate required, unless you reduce the bit-rate down to 18Mbps which may not look too good compared to the original.


Regards


Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L /forum/post/20871612


Hi


Which Blu-ray player now supports AVCHD2.0?


You can't get AVCHD2.0 onto a DVD, this is because DVD doesn't support the 28Mbps rate required, unless you reduce the bit-rate down to 18Mbps which may not look too good compared to the original.


Regards


Phil

My Sony BDP-S780

Sony BDP-S780 firmware update


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0319:

Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video playability

Adds the ability to play discs recorded in AVCHD version 2.0 format (AVCHD 3D/Progressive)

Adds the ability to play BDAV content recorded in 3D/Progressive format using BD-R/BD-RE media
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam
My Bluray player now support avchd 2.0. Is there editing software that you can edit and burn a DVD avchd disc, that is still 1080p/60 as it is on the original file.
"HD Writer" that came with my Panasonic camcorder is very limited. It will clip, split and join clips. It will provide a title screen and transitions between clips. You have to use it as the primary means to catalog and store clips. It appears if you follow the rules, you get AVCHD compliance. After the limited editing you can burn DVDs with the AVCHD structure.


Since I'm new at this, I am never sure I understand it. What can I do to test the concept and report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/20872625


"HD Writer" that came with my Panasonic camcorder is very limited. It will clip, split and join clips. It will provide a title screen and transitions between clips. You have to use it as the primary means to catalog and store clips. It appears if you follow the rules, you get AVCHD compliance. After the limited editing you can burn DVDs with the AVCHD structure.


Since I'm new at this, I am never sure I understand it. What can I do to test the concept and report back.

I have HD writer. It does clip,split and join. You can save the file as Data and put it on a Bluray disc and play it on my Sony Bluray player,before AVCHD 2.0.

But HD writer converts 1080p60 to 1080i/60 before "it" burns a disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 /forum/post/20872373


The AVCHD 2.0 specs from wiki refer to flash media, not optical.

"Sony now confirm that all BD players will in the next few months be upgradeable to the new 2.0 version of AVCHD through a firmware download in the usual manner. This means that 1920x1080 50p/60p burnt BDs from all newer Sony AVCHD cameras can be played "with the best possible results". Sony also claim that PMB and Vegas will support this burning procedure and "Burn Directly to Blu Ray" will complement/replace the "Burn directly to DVD" (in low quality). There should be a PMB update available as well.


AVCHD vesion 2.0 was intended all the time for new Sony cameras as the standard for which the cameras were intended in the firs place! Possibly the Tsunami slowed things down?


The advise, if you consult Sony then, is to use the PS Mode 28Mbit/s since this is the up and coming format for nearly all their cameras. Most other makes will probably follow Sony/Panasonic in the implementation of AVCHD 2.0

"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Well then, to answer you original question, it would appear not to support DVD optical media and hence no.


However I can certainly make a BD folder structure in 1080p60 playable on a mediaplayer (I don't use optical discs).


Powerdirector 9.0 to produce the file then TSMuxer to produce disc structure. No menus and some software "tweaking" required but not too difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam
I have HD writer. It does clip,split and join. You can save the file as Data and put it on a Bluray disc and play it on my Sony Bluray player,before AVCHD 2.0.

But HD writer converts 1080p60 to 1080i/60 before "it" burns a disc.
Thank you for the correction!


What is the easy way to check a file? Windows explorer only reports AVCHD and .mt2s.


After HD Writer does the split, clip or join could you not just copy it to a DVD using Windows. I'm pretty sure I did that a couple of weeks ago as a test and it played on my Sony BDP-S570. Maybe I should try it again to see if I'm confused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague
Thank you for the correction!


What is the easy way to check a file? Windows explorer only reports AVCHD and .mt2s.
What do you mean by check a file?

Do you mean properties? Right click> properties>details. If frame rate is 59hz and data rate is greater that 20,000kbps than it's 1080p/60. If it is 29hz an below 18,000 kbps its 1080i
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam
What do you mean by check a file?

Do you mean properties? Right click> properties>details. If frame rate is 59hz and data rate is greater that 20,000kbps than it's 1080p/60. If it is 29hz an below 18,000 kbps its 1080i
Perfect! I'm learning and have a long way to go with digital video. I am having fun.


I once owned two Nikon bodies that were the first with built in exposure control - automatic shutter speed only. Along with them I had a suitcase full of lenses - 20mm to 500mm. I hand built a darkroom and could process up to 16 x 20 in color. A few people even paid me for some B&W prints for awhile.


With the help of my granddaughters interest, we bought a camcorder and are trying to learn story telling with video.


It is a giant leap forward. Thanks to all that answer my questions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you can't make a BR disc in 1080p/60 directly from some software, what good is AVCHD 2.0. I could always play it from flash media to my BR player or play it on my computer. What's the big deal?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top