AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting on my new HTPC parts to arrive, and am getting anxious... planning on what I want/need to install to control my stuff. Here is what I'm planning;

Vista Ultimate 32Bit (I'm not a big fan of MS Media Center)

On my "test" HTPC I have used VLC / K-Lite Codec Full

I am getting the Pioneer Blu-Ray player and want to watch Blu-Ray movies direct from disc, and I also plan on encoding all of my SD DVD's and would like to watch those, as well as other 1080p .MKV Media that I may come in contact with.

No plans for HD TV Capture in any capacity as I have HD-DVR's thru my Sat. Provider already... so a Movie and Music Box Only...

I would also like a front end for my music with some combo of iTunes AAC and a bunch of MP'3s

I basically need to make this "easy" enough ("dummy proof") for the wife to be able to watch movies and listen to music if I'm not around.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why are you not a fan of Vista Media Center? Hopefully it's not just the typical anti-MS garbage, because VMC is a very good product.

- You need PowerDVD Ultra for watching Blu-Rays

- a front end for VMC which can integrate itunes/mp3's together is called MCE Tunes

- another application for VMC which works very well, for encoded movies, is called My Movies 2.

A combination of all those things, plus just showing your wife what to do, works pretty well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 /forum/post/12978946

Why are you not a fan of Vista Media Center? Hopefully it's not just the typical anti-MS garbage, because VMC is a very good product.

- You need PowerDVD Ultra for watching Blu-Rays

- a front end for VMC which can integrate itunes/mp3's together is called MCE Tunes

- another application for VMC which works very well, for encoded movies, is called My Movies 2.

A combination of all those things, plus just showing your wife what to do, works pretty well.

I'm actually very much PRO Microsoft actually... I guess I just haven't messed with VMC much, and am basing my "dislike" based on XP Media Center. So I guess it is uneducated of me to make statements about something I haven't really messed with. I "assumed" that is was similar in nature to XP Media Center.

Will PowerDVD be used outside of VMC to watch the BluRay and then just VMC for Music and SD DVD's?

Also do MCE Tunes and My Movies have provisions for music and movie files in various physical locations? I have a couple different network shares which are "remote" from my HTPC and will want to play those files over the network down to the HTPC.

Thanks!

Wade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts