AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my second set of Logitech Z-2300s and probably need to get a sound card for them but dont know what I need...I bought my first set a couple of years ago and just used a card I already had and it sounded good to me but I want to do a little more research this time before I buy something...I have onboard sound but I figure these speakers would do way better with a card but I dont know how many channels I need and all that...Sound isnt something I've ever dealt with a lot...I want to go the cheapest way with-out compromising the greatness of these speakers...I can use PCI or PCI Express X1.....And would appreciate it if someone could just run it down in a few words what I need to know when it comes to choosing a soundcard, but not in techie language...Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
"I figure these speakers would do way better with a card"

Why do you figure that?

Unless your motherboard is faulty (resulting in humming or something like that due to poor grounding or connections), I am highly, highly skeptical that you would be able to tell the difference in sound quality between onboard sound and a dedicated soundcard on your Z-2300 speakers. I'd recommend saving the money you'd spend on a soundcard and instead upgrading your speakers if you want better sound quality. The single most important aspect in sound is the speakers (with the second most important option being debatable, whether it be room treatment or source material or what not). Some people even argue that while on paper some DAC can be shown to be different, the casual listener cannot tell them apart in an ABX test. Claims of improved sound quality can often be tied to the placebo effect. I'd say, for such a low-end set up, do not spend money on a dedicated sound card if you expect your $99 speaker set to sound any better.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Onboard audio has got really good over the years.

To get appreciable difference in sound over onboard audio, you are looking at expensive sound cards. And to get full benefits of the good sound card you need really good speakers. Computer speakers ain't gonna cut it.

IMHO, its a pointless exercise. Quality sound needs quality speakers.

With PC speakers, onboard is good enough.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19608187

Quality sound needs quality speakers.

With PC speakers, onboard is good enough.

I'd agree with that. Notice the little plasma speakers on the sides of this DIY screen? These were hooked up to the onboard sound (while I was finishing wiring up the rest of the tsuff and the main speakers), and sounded relatively good.

Then I hooked in the preamp/amp and the Axiom speakers and...realized how bad it really was. Once the X-Meridian went into the HTPC.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!!! I understand a lot better now... I know I could spend A LOT more on speakers but I already have a set of these and I thought they sounded pretty good for computer speakers...They will probably serve my purpose...Thanks to all!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.