Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks to Grant to being the first to turning me on to the LT-150

Second, thanks to TomW for finding the unbelievable Dell deal that so many of us have or soon will benefit from.

I suspect that the LT-150 will soon be the most widely used pj by the members of this forum. That's GREAT! What a wealth of information, suggestion, and recommendations we all will benefit from (provided we all contribute our experiences).

Along with my anxiously awaited LT-150, I have ordered a 60*80 Da-Lite highpower. What's next? I currently have a Pioneer DV-414 which only does an interlaced signal plugged into an older Toshiba TP48E60 via an S-video cable. The Toshiba I plan to continue to use for casual viewing, but I want to upgrade from this to a progressive signal for the LT-150, but to what? I'm working with a limited budget (under $1,000). Replace the Pioneer DV-414 with a Panny RP-91? Skyworth? Use the pioneer DV-414 with a used scaler from E-Bay? Sit tight and wait for the next "best" dvd player that's right around the corner?

I'd love to do an HTPC, but budget and intimidation prevent me from taking the plunge. I will some day, but not just yet.

I welcome and appreciate all comments and suggestion that you have.

Best regards to all,

Peter

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i asked Grant this question in a post a couple of months ago-if you do a search you'll find it. i'm pretty sure i recalled him telling me having AVS put together a turn-key HTPC would run about $2k. i don't know if that was canadian dollars though.

just read an HTPC faq here that said a upper/mid-level HTPC can be put together for $850-$1200. but that's DIY.

the more i read about HTPCs the more i want to just keep it simple with a good prog dvd player and then add a scaler as soon as i can.

the benefits for me would be

1) don't have to monkey around clueless or stop everything and run to the board here everytime something goes wrong on the PC

2) i wouldn't have to start learning windows

2) i would be able to make use of my laserdisc collection

3) time spent fiddling w/ hardware conflicts/ software upgrades/ incompatibility issues is time spent in frustration and not enjoyment for me.

i'm very much leaning to the player/scaler route.

unless the PC can be streamlined to absurdly simple mac-like proportions. but then i think it would start to lose its charm for a lot of compulsive fiddlers & tweakers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
Peter,

Don't despair. The Panasonic RP91 is very versatile and produces a great picture when fed through the LT150. The new Q50 (I believe that's what it's called) should be out sometime in August, if we're lucky, and both the Phillips and Panasonic should be in your budget.

There should be some posts with respect to how both the Quadscan and Crystal Image (different?) work with the LT150 in the next few weeks, if you can wait. Kenwood will have two new models out soon which may be exceptional - in fact look for the results from a major DVD shootout on the DVD hardware section of this forum coming soon!! This shootout should be really interesting.

There are some great Progressive Scan DVD players people are dumping for the latest and greatest - go on the classified section and see what's there. You will need a breakout cable for component use.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yahoo,

The $450 HTPC is just a basic DIY box with the following specs:

AMD Duron 750

128MB RAM

Asus MB

Case+floppy+mouse+keyboard

DVD-ROM

10GB quiet hard drive

sound card with digital out

Radeon VE

That's enough to give you excellent DVD playback using the ATI player. Of course if you want to use your HTPC for more like games, scaling of s-video/composite, video editing, mp3 jukebox etc. you'll have to pay more. However if all you're going to do is use it for DVDs then it's certainly one of the cheapest alternatives. In fact I'm going to get a dedicated box just for this. Booting a PC and starting playback should take just about as long as it takes for the LT150 lamp to properly warm up anyway. Once it's up and running/configured I won't touch the configuration. It's just supposed to sit there and work - nothing else.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got me first chance to log back on. Still prenty of activity around the LT-150.

Thanks Frode, Ckolchak, and Grant for your input. I think Grant's suggestion to be patient and wait for the upcoming DVD shootout and feedback from others is the best course for me at this point. I'll initially use my current interlaced DVD player and rely on the NEC internal scaler. Heck, this will be a giant improvement on what I have now and will give me a basis you upgrade from.

Thanks again,

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.