AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what to order for material. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Understandably, I'll need two layers, so what two layers do I use?

Here's what I have:

1. Building a 120" screen, 16x9
2. Primary seating distance is 16' from screen
3. I have a patio door and two windows in the room, so it gets some light. Although, the windows/patio have window coverings.
4. Projector is an InFocus IN8606HD (1080p DLP, 2000/2500 lumens (eco/high), 10000:1 contrast ratio)
5. Primarily will be used for video, as I'm not a gamer. I like blacks to be black, but I probably put a preference on clarity/brightness if I had to make a choice.

Thanks for your help!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,767 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what to order for material. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Understandably, I'll need two layers, so what two layers do I use?

Primarily will be used for video, as I'm not a gamer. I like blacks to be black, but I probably put a preference on clarity/brightness if I had to make a choice.

Thanks for your help!
Milliskin Matte White (Product #795)
.................over................
Milliskin Matte Black (Product #796)

Your chosen Screen size will work out fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Milliskin Matte White .................over................ Milliskin Matte Black Your chosen Screen size will work out fine.[/quote said:
Thanks, MississippiMan! I appreciate your response and it looks like you have some pretty good experience with spandex. One question - why white over black? In reading through numerous other posts, I'm seeing all sorts of combinations used, such as ivory/white, silver/black, two layers of white, etc. I know there's no perfect recipe, but what makes the white over black setup your recommendation? Also, I'm seeing some people using moleskin vs. milliskin. Do you recommend the milliskin due to the acoustic performance of the thinner material? If so, I like that recommendation because I do want excellent acoustic performance from my Sonance in-wall speakers, but with the screen being the focal point, I just need to figure out how to get the best picture, too! Again, thanks for your response and I look forward to hearing your reasoning behind white over black.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Thanks, MississippiMan! I appreciate your response and it looks like you have some pretty good experience with spandex. One question - why white over black? In reading through numerous other posts, I'm seeing all sorts of combinations used, such as ivory/white, silver/black, two layers of white, etc. I know there's no perfect recipe, but what makes the white over black setup your recommendation? Also, I'm seeing some people using moleskin vs. milliskin. Do you recommend the milliskin due to the acoustic performance of the thinner material? If so, I like that recommendation because I do want excellent acoustic performance from my Sonance in-wall speakers, but with the screen being the focal point, I just need to figure out how to get the best picture, too! Again, thanks for your response and I look forward to hearing your reasoning behind white over black.
See some tests I did here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...dex-white-white-white-black-avs-v6-shots.html

White over black is superior to White over White.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,767 Posts
As Pulsar so concisely stated, white over black is best.

But the "why" could use a bit more elaborating on because obviously you've read a lot of material, some controdictory in nature.

• White on White produces the brightest image, but does nothing to retain or enhance Black levels, something dear to most all these days. And that lack of deeper Blacks means less perception of contrast. That affects image "pop" and clarity.

• Shades of lessor brightness, from beige to ivory to sliver / gray used as a top layer obviously will deepen the darker colors of the spectrum, but also whites, and this happens because of attenuation that is twofold. Both through the lessor reflectivity of the darker materials, and the absorption that is naturally present in such a thinly woven cloth. A dimmer images is a duller image, and so only those using extremely bright PJ'S or smaller screens...or both, can opt to use a darker aerial on top.

• Since the Top layer is responsible for refecting the image, and one wants a bright, dynamic, and color correct image as possible, White is the Natural "go to" choice.

• However, there is still the "Black Levels" issue to consider. Due to the out of light that is absorbed, a rear layer is necessary. As mentioned previously, white under white will retain maximum brightness. And in one has a PJ with exceptional contrast specs and Intersteller blacks, (... and total light control...) the white on white can be a valid choice.

• But many users do not fall under those stipulations so they need something more effective at retain the Black levels they started out with. I initially advocated using Silver as it was a mid point beteew white / black. ..and when using Epson or Panasonic PJ'S with high contrast, it did nicely. But again, many were using brighter PJ'S with lessor Blacks.

• A few other Members had taken the step toward using Black as the bacjrr...mostly because that was always been used behind Mfg AT screens. Results showed both an increase in black level retention, and a sharper image due to the increase in perceived contrast. The white top layer still maintained as dynamic image as possible. So the White over Black as held predominance for a while now.

• Addressing the difference between Milliskin and Moleskin the latter had a coarser weave that shows up more plainly under most viewing conditions, and being a bit denser, has slightly less sterling AT performance. Those two things taken together rule out the use of Moleskin as a valid choice.
So there it is...Almost 10 Years of Spandex use and considerations condensed into one reply. I hope it helps claims all the variances you've read, many of which were governed by avsilability, or individual preferences.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I built a spandex screen using White over Black, yet to use as I'm building the media room now. I think it'll work nicely with whichever projector I'm decide to go with.

it's 120"x68" 16:9. Approx 138" diag. I do plan on using masking to create a 2.40:1 scope screen that would still be 120" across.

My phone makes I look like the screen has a curve to it.. It's actually straight.

Larry

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts