AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I need to buy speaker cable for my new(second hand) speakers.

Distance from Amp
2 speakers 15meters 100w 4ohm
center 5meters 100w 4ohm
woofer 5meters woofer 100w 4ohm
2 speakers 5 meters 75w 8ohm

Please tell me the size in mm because that's how my local store sells it.

Thank you

·
Registered
15,994 Posts
Well, the length is simply the distance from your amp or AVR to each speaker (use a pair of speaker cables that are the same length for the pair of front speakers, and a pair of cables that are the same length for the 2 rear speakers), making sure to leave some extra slack. Some believe there is no difference between speakers cables, as long as you get a decent gauge (12-14 gauge). Check out monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com for good quality cables at a reasonable price. Others will tell you that cables do matter (I recommend matching the same brand for your speakers as your interconnects for your other equipment, such as your BluRay player). Take your pick.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You will need 12 AWG speaker cables(or thicker) for the 15 m speakers. The rest can be 16 AWG. You will also need RCA cable for subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Use thick wire coat hangers - not the thin white ones.

As long as the speakers are not in-wall, 12-2 Romex (or other brand) would work very well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-50-ft-12-2-NM-B-Wire-147-1602BR/202206559

Home Depot, Lowes, or any electric supply house will carry this product, or similar.

And to actually answer your question, a 12 AWG (gauge) conductor measures 2.053 mm, from this wiki Table of AWG wire sizes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

When buying bulk cable, usually cheaper to just buy the single size/thickness.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You will need 12 AWG speaker cables(or thicker) for the 15 m speakers. The rest can be 16 AWG. You will also need RCA cable for subwoofer.
12 ga AWG is 2.05mm diameter. Correct on the size/length recommended above. Should go without saying, but stranded for lexibility, copper only (no clad steel or aluminum).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My subwoofer is passive unfortunately...

Well, the length is simply the distance from your amp or AVR to each speaker (use a pair of speaker cables that are the same length for the pair of front speakers, and a pair of cables that are the same length for the 2 rear speakers), making sure to leave some extra slack. Some believe there is no difference between speakers cables, as long as you get a decent gauge (12-14 gauge). Check out monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com for good quality cables at a reasonable price. Others will tell you that cables do matter (I recommend matching the same brand for your speakers as your interconnects for your other equipment, such as your BluRay player). Take your pick.
You mean that the front pair (and the surround pair) must have same wire length although the front left , is nearer to the amplifier than the front right?

Is it a problem if I buy 2.5mm wire for the whole system? (I will buy 50 metres in bulk)

Thank you all for your answers!!!:):)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
For 15m runs, the thicker the better, so 2.5mm is great. Especially if it's a 4 ohm speaker that may dip under 4ohms in certain frequencies.

·
Registered
15,994 Posts
You mean that the front pair (and the surround pair) must have same wire length although the front left , is nearer to the amplifier than the front right?

Thank you all for your answers!!!:):)
Yes, I would recommend running the same length for the left and right front speakers, even if one is closer to the amp. Same for left and right rear speakers.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
If they are selling European Standard wire then the sizes will be 0.75mm², 1.5mm², 2.5mm², and 4.0mm². Note this is cross sectional area not thickness.

AWG (American Wire Gauge) these are the available wires and their cross sectional areas -

16ga = 1.65mm²
14ga = 2.08mm²
13ga = 2.62mm²
12ga = 3.31mm²
10ga = 5.26mm²

The most common Euro size is 2.5mm², which is slightly larger than 14ga.

Occasionally in the USA, you find 13g wire (2.62mm²) which I suspect is actually 2.5mm² Euro wire.

Here are wire gauge charts for Percent of Signal Loss for various size wires and speaker impedance.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1910257-fyi-signal-loss-speaker-wire-length.html

Most people in HiFi with expensive systems will try to stay in the range of less than 3% loss. Though for most Stereo systems, it is easy enough to stay in the range of 1% loss. However, in terms of dB lost, even 5% is insignificant.

For 4 ohms speakers, 14ga is right on the edge and would probably work fine. However, 13ga or 2.5mm² gives you a bit of safety margin, and 12ga keeps you well below 5% loss in the wire.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Guys thank you so much, You explained me so much stuff in 10 posts.

bluewizard exactly here in Europe(Greece) they sell wires measured in mm and mm^2. Which one is the correct to look for?

The shop I want to buy says 2.5mm^2 . Is this wire ok or do I have to buy a bigger one?

PS In one moth I will complete the system from an old 5.1 (4ohm 100w ) and I will disconnect the (currently) 75w 8ohm speakers. The speaker system will be :
2 speakers 15meters 100w 4ohm
center 5meters 100w 4ohm
woofer 5meters 100w 4ohm
2 speakers 5 meters 100w 4ohm

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes, I would recommend running the same length for the left and right front speakers, even if one is closer to the amp. Same for left and right rear speakers.
You won't do anything wrong by making them the same length, but it'smostly not necessary. iIn the 15m example in this thread, if the lengths were actually 15m and 7.5m, you might...might what to make them more similar, but even that's not going to cause any audible issues. Length match would only would only be an issue if dealing with extremely long runs, extremely thin wire, or extremely different lengths (or any combination of those).

Any differences of a meter or so are just fine being different in the thread example.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One last question. Does it worth to pay 10euros more (total 40euros incl VAT) in order to buy the 4mm^2 wire?

Thank you ALL !!

Edit: This is the last question :p --> Why the original 5.1 Sony Dav All in one system (100w 4ohm), from witch I took my speakers, had 22awg cables?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
One last question. Does it worth to pay 10euros more (total 40euros incl VAT) in order to buy the 4mm^2 wire?

Thank you ALL !!

In my opinion - NO - 4mm² is massive overkill and with many amps and speakers you actually have trouble getting wire that thick to fit into the Terminals.

However, if a person has massively powerful amps and speakers that dip down to very low impedance, one could perhaps justify larger wire. But we are talking about speaker dipping well below 4 ohms and amps of 500w or more per channel.

2.5mm², though this is just from memory, can sustain near 500w and has a peak current rating that takes the power up near 3000 watts to an 8 ohm speaker (calculated values). I think 2.5mm² is more than powerful enough.

4.0mm² is far beyond what most people need. The exception would be a rare, extremely powerful system, with speakers that have an unusually complex impedance.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Hello. I finally bought the 2.5mm cable and now I have to connect the amplifier.

I know that this amp isn't a good solution but it's a start.

The amp is this one http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=1292
and I currently have 4x100w 4ohm speakers. I know this isn't a multichannel amp but for now, I want if I can , to connect the four speakers on it.

Sooo can I, and how?
I would recommend not connecting more than 2. Yes you can physically hook up all 4 speakers, but it is not rated for 4 ohm speakers, and running both sets probably won't end well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would recommend not connecting more than 2. Yes you can physically hook up all 4 speakers, but it is not rated for 4 ohm speakers, and running both sets probably won't end well.
thank you for your time!

This is the amp connections and ohm selector from behind http://images1.fotosik.pl/250/b4ea6956b6f81167.jpg

What if I connect 2 speakers in series to channelA-Left and the other 2 speakers in series also, to channelA-Right.
I will use the selection A or B 8Ohm min /speaker.

Are the two 4ohm speakers in series outpout 8ohm?
Is it ok if I do that?

Thank you again!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
If you wire them in series, you won't need to put two on each binding post. Look up a diagram online, wiring 4 4-ohm speakers in series will create a 16-ohm load. This will be okay to do, but note the volume will be lower.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts