AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this question has been posted before so sorry if it has.....what would u all recommend to me for under $800....I would only need main fronts....center and rears...I already have a good sub and amp....

since I have a good sub (valodyne 10") they dont have to be floor speakers,...I also read the bookshelf speakers would sound better and more bang for the buck...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Check out the Infinity Beta's. They're discontinued and basically half off.

You could do floorstanding Beta 40's, a three-way Beta 360 center channel and Beta 10 bookshelf speakers and come in under budget.

Google them if you want to see some reviews.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone else a fan of the infinity beta's....im sure I already know the answer to this but will they sound better then bose....not the little cubes...but there bigger speakers like the 701 or the 161 rears or the vcs10 center....

oh and I forgot to mention, I dont really listen to just music at all...so movies and tv shows it the most I wan out of speakers,,,,mainly dvd's thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
Second the Acoustechs.... great performance for the money.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose701 /forum/post/12929036

oh and I forgot to mention, I dont really listen to just music at all...so movies and tv shows it the most I wan out of speakers,,,,mainly dvd's thanks again

hehe, that will change once u hear better speakers....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those look nice and the price is nice too....u think the acoustech would sound better then the infinity beta?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently just got the whole set. The floorstanders, Bipolar surrounds, Center, and the sub. For the price I payed, I could not be happier with them. I'm not sure what reciever your using but with my recent addition of a Denon 1907 I've been glued to the damn tv for the past month.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found the acoustech on overstock.com pretty well priced....almost the same as advertised above...and have a more trusted website...I might just try these out!

·
Registered
53 Posts
the ebay retailer SoundDistributors are direct dealers of them. I called them personally rather than dealing through ebay and they gave me a great deal. Try contacting them and see what kind of deal they can work out for you. I got the floorstanders and the surrounds for under $500 shipped.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:

anyone else a fan of the infinity beta's....im sure I already know the answer to this but will they sound better then bose....not the little cubes...but there bigger speakers like the 701 or the 161 rears or the vcs10 center....

No they won't, and this is not the first time you post here about the 701's, and as you know most people that are familiar with what the Bose 01 series is advised you to increase your budget at that time, or stay with 701. Beta and Acoustech will be the same or maybe going backwards.

Neither the Betas, nor the Acoustech, nor the 701's are in the PSB Image Series league. So unless you can increase your budget to around $1K to get something really worth it (PSB Image, Monitor Audio Bronze, Aperion, AV123, Swan, etc.) why bother changing your 701's.

Since this is your second or third post on the subject I must assume that you are desperate to change speakers, not necessarily upgrade. If this is the case, pick your choice of Beta or Acoustech.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12930295

No they won't... Beta and Acoustech will be the same or maybe going backwards.

How do you know that? Have you auditioned them all side-by-side?

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12930295

No they won't, and this is not the first time you post here about the 701's, and as you know most people that are familiar with what the Bose 01 series is advised you to increase your budget at that time, or stay with 701. Beta and Acoustech will be the same or maybe going backwards....

Half true at best. The 161 and the VC-10 are simply not in the same area code as the 701s. I had them, and have heard the 701s and 901s, as well as 2- and 301s. IMO, 701 and 901 are decent, while the 201 and 301 were not. 161 and VC-10 have to be a couple of the poorest sounding speakers I've heard.

If you like the 701s, keep them. It will be difficult to properly match a center though. If not, any of the brands recommended would be at least as good. None of them will be worse.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/12930890

How do you know that? Have you auditioned them all side-by-side?

Not side by side, but know well Bose 01's as one of my uncles has had 301, 801, 701, and 901; don't know why but he has always been a Bose man. And, have auditioned Beta's, not much difference. And from the posts I have read I can tell the Acoustech are not far behind the Beta's.

Have you auditioned all those???

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/12931027

Half true at best. The 161 and the VC-10 are simply not in the same area code as the 701s. I had them, and have heard the 701s and 901s, as well as 2- and 301s. IMO, 701 and 901 are decent, while the 201 and 301 were not. 161 and VC-10 have to be a couple of the poorest sounding speakers I've heard.

If you like the 701s, keep them. It will be difficult to properly match a center though. If not, any of the brands recommended would be at least as good. None of them will be worse.

Yes, the general consensus from people who have really heard most of the 01's is the same as your observation, and I would agree also.

Here we have an OP who has 701's, has posted two or three threads regarding upgrading 701 with a budget that won't get him better than 701, equal at best. He still insists in people telling him to change, like many here that probably just heard Bose and went ballistic.

In my perception the OP just wants to change the 701's to whatever people tell him he can get in his budget range, and he is looking for more people to say "go ahead and change", so he can feel better spending his budget, that would otherwise serve better if he waited until he had $400.00 - $500.00 more and get something that will be a big difference from Bose. Betas and Acoustech are not much of a change.

Does the OP want to go for "at least as good", or he wants to go much better than the 701's???? Only him can answer that question.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12931244

Not side by side, but know well Bose 01's as one of my uncles has had 301, 801, 701, and 901; don't know why but he has always been a Bose man. And, have auditioned Beta's, not much difference. And from the posts I have read I can tell the Acoustech are not far behind the Beta's.

Have you auditioned all those???

No, I haven't auditioned all of them. That's why I'm not making any definitive statements...Just offering alternatives since that is what the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/12931396

No, I haven't auditioned all of them. That's why I'm not making any definitive statements...Just offering alternatives since that is what the OP is looking for.

And there's where the problem lyes, people offering alternatives that are in the same SQ as 701. Again, he needs to increase his budget to get something that will truly offer much better SQ.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12931454

And there's where the problem lyes, people offering alternatives that are in the same SQ as 701. Again, he needs to increase his budget to get something that will truly offer much better SQ.

First of all, the OP asked for suggestions in the $800 range.

Being that the Beta's are now half off, very well regarded in this forum and well reviewed and measured in publications, they are a viable choice--along with the other suggestions in this thread.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't sound better than the Bose speakers. Harman has greater resources than practically any speaker manufacturer in the world. Bose doesn't even publish specs on their speakers.

Now I haven't heard the 701's. So I guess I'm being just as assumptive as you are that the Acoustech's (a speaker you haven't heard) aren't any better than the Bose or the Beta's.

I will agree with you though that extending the budget to $1,500 or so opens up many more possibilities.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts