AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be spending between $7,000 and $9,000 on speakers. I was interested in the M&K S-150's, but I am open to suggestions.

Most of my local dealers carry the same speakers. Therefore, I do not get to see or listen to many different brands. What about a sub? I have read that M&K, Sunfire, and Velodyne all make great subs. Any others that I should consider?

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.:)

· Registered
474 Posts
For a $7K to $9K investment you would be wise to drive or fly to a city that has all the speaker models you are interested in and demoing them. You could even take along your receiver/amp/pre/pro/etc to assist your selection. Make a weekend of it -- I assume if you can afford that much for speakers the $500 or so you would spend on your road trip would be chump-change. Over a long weekend in a city like NY you could demo practically any possible speaker combination you could ever desire. That being said you may also want to consider the Atlatic Technology System 450, Canton System S10 THX Ultra, Dunlavy, Dynaudio Contour, Energy Veritas, Infinity Prelude MTS, Martin Logan Scenario/Script/Cinema, Mirage HDT, Monitor Audio Gold Reference, Revel Performa, Thiel MCS1, Snell XA 90ps -- all of which were AA rated by SGTHT.

· Registered
459 Posts
Take a good look at the Triads.

Their Silver Monitor (which is different from their silver lcr, and is much higher end than their gold lcr) is pretty amazing.

Retail about $2k each for the 3 fronts, dipole surrounds are around $600.

I install a ton of Atlantic Technology, but in my high end demo theater, I am about to install Triads.

In addition, their national sales manager, Paul Scarpelli is a regular on this board, and is a tremendously knowledgable and helpful guy.

I was going to use the M&K 150's in this theater, but after hearing the Triads, I changed my mind.

If you are anywhere near PA, I will have my demo theater set up in about 5 weeks with a full triad set. Your welcome to stop by and take a look when it is ready.

· Registered
3,213 Posts
I have a Triad system consisting of InRoom Golds across the front, two pairs of OnWall Gold Surrounds, and a Platinum PowerSub and am happier than a pig in ****. I also considered a M&K system anchored around S150s, however, the I found the Triads to be much smoother sounding with better imaging. Speakers are a very personal choice, however, given your price range you should definitely check out the Triads.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I haven't been able to listen to the Triads yet; however, I am looking forward to demoing some of them.

What types of subs would you recommend? I have read that Sunfire, M&K, and Velodyne all make great subs. Are there any others that you would recommend?

· Registered
3,213 Posts
I would choose an M&K or Velodyne over a Sunfire. Stay away from those mega-watt puny subs. You should also check out Triad subs. They are very musical and powerful. I have a Triad Platinum PowerSub and it has no problem playing at THX reference level in my 4200 cubic foot home theater.

· Registered
474 Posts
In subs: Paradigm Reference Serv0-15, Revel Performa B15, Atlatic Technology 452 PBM, M&K MX-700, Monitor Audio FB 212, Velodyne HGS-10, Hsu Research, are all worth a look. Again, listen for yourself with your source equipment if poosible, even better if in your listening room.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is Triad's reference system the Silver Monitors?

I am going to be running 7.1 surround sound. Would you recommend direct firing speakers in the rear, or would you go with dipoles?

I am more interested in a set of speakers that excel in theater use, rather than music use? What speakers would you recommend for this type of use?

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
264 Posts
 http://www.vmpsaudio.com/images/RMnewimage.jpg

I can't believe how many of these threads (speaker suggestions) I see go on for more than a few posts without a mention of VMPS. Brian Cheney, the owner/designer (who has been around for years and years with VMPS), won Best of Show at CES this year for the entire audio equipment category with the new VMPS RM40's. I have owned the RM2's and now own the SuperTower/R SE's for my mains. VMPS is a unique company that does some things almost nobody else does that really make a difference:

- In phase, first order crossovers. It's a little known fact that 99% of all multi-driver speakers use crossovers that wire the mid out of phase with the woofer and tweeter. They do this to make the speaker "measure" better. After becomming acustomed to the sound of a speaker with a properly designed crossover with all drivers in phase, it's very obvious when listening to about any other speaker. Sometimes it sounds like the vocalist is talking while inhaling instead of exhaling, or the pianist is pulling on the keys instead of pushing on them. Hard to explain, but very obvious.

- Transformerless, push-pull ribbon midranges that feature nearly 100% resistive load only and cover the most important part of the frequency response with NO crossover interaction: 166Hz - 10,000 Hz. This is truly remarkable in and of itself. These ribbon panels are by far the best midrange detail I've ever experienced. Recently, Mr. Cheney changed the design of the midranges to use Neodymium magnets instead of the old Strontium-Ferrite type. The NEO magnets are about 8X as powerful and the difference in sound is said to be very obviously improved as well. The purely resistive load also means the panel's phase is remaining very close to constant through the entire frequency band.

- The spiral ribbon tweeter is similar to that used by Infinity and Genesis, but now improved upon by Mr. Cheney himself. Its reputation needs no support. Arguably the best tweeter available for anything resembling a reasonable cost.

- Bass and Adjustablility: The woven carbon fiber megawoofers used for bass on all VMPS tower speakers are coupled with a slot-loaded, adjustable mass passive radiator, allowing you to tune the system 'Q' to specifically fit your room and taste. With trim pots for midrange, treble, and supertreble, these are the most adjustable, customizeable speakers I've ever seen! From the RM2's on up, every speaker is capable of low end -3dB extention into the low 20's and lower. This is not a "stretch" claim either... Even the RM2's with a single 12" megawoofer and 12" PR will make your pant legs flap! This is saying nothing of their flagship subwoofer: a monster with a 15" megawoofer, 12" megawoofer, and 15" passive radiator! It's been favorably compared (trying to use good manners here) to about any other subwoofer on the planet. Check out the "review" section of Harmonic Discord

I could go on... but I've got a HT room to finish! I sound like a hyper, but take the time to check these out: A couple links:

VMPS Website

VMPS forum at Harmonic Discord

Oops! I forgot the best part: the RM40's, the speakers that beat out the best of the best at CES, some costing $20,000, $30,000, and more, can be purchased directly from VMPS for $4,600/pr. :)

-Chris

· Registered
276 Posts
sma779s,

Seems like you're in the middle of some big shopping. :) (noticed your other post enquiring about processors/amps).

I'd agree with covermye about the VMPS speakers--being fairly direct to you they are a great bargain, and they're also outstanding performers.

At $9K you've got enough money there to put together a really great package.

Sub-wise, I'm fond of the SVS & Hsu subs because of the performance per $, though also like the Vel HGS-15 & HGS-18, the Revel, and the Aerial (getting pricey there though).

Enjoy the journey. . .

· Registered
782 Posts
Before you dump the $9K, give the Altantic Technologies 370 and 450thx speakers a listen. Buy the 3 main fronts and two pairs of dipole surrounds for enveloping 7.X surround.

As far as subwooofers go, depart from the all in one system and look seriously at Velodynes 18" servo-driven foundation sub. It will rock your cradle!

John

· Registered
3,213 Posts
Regarding the Triads, the reference system could be be considered to be Triad Platinum LCRs (I think they around $5000 each), OnWall or InWall Gold Surrounds ($2400/pair), and Platinum PowerSubs ($2200 each). The Triad Silver Monitors are basically the tweeter and midrange section of the Platinum LCRs. I have not heard the Triad Silver Monitors but my understanding is that within their limits they sound better than the Triad Gold LCRs. The Triad Gold LCRs play louder, and therefore, may be a better choice in a large room.

I am using OnWall Gold Surrounds (dipoles) for both my side and rear channels and this provides a completely enveloping sound. Although I prefer the use of dipolar speakers over direct radiating speakers in the rear your opinion may differ. You really must try both types of speakers with different sound tracks so that you can decide your preference.

· Premium Member
Denon 3800, 83" LG C1, Rythmik F18 Subwoofer, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, Diva 8.1Towers Front & Rear
1,200 Posts
It would be helpful if you can decide what "characteristics" you are looking for. All speakers strive to be neutral and recreate "reality" as perfectly as possible. In truth however all speakers sound slightly different and have differenct characteristics. Some will sound "brighter" to you while others may appear to be "smoother". The same speaker can sound different to two different people. If you like a very smooth "laid back" quality of sound, you might consider some of the British brands like Kef, or B&W. In the bang for the buck category the new Diva series have similar characteristics. Magnepans and Martin Logans definitely have an "absolutely love it or absolutely don't really care for it" thing going for them as well. Ribbon tweeters are another example of a different technology that produces very unique characteristics that people fall in love with and never go back. If I were you, I'd try to see what type of sound is a good fit for you. Things to look for are imaging and soundstage, detail and Clarity, perceived harshness vs. smoothness. Is the midrange natural in in the correct position in the soundfield or is does it have a nasal or "too forward or back" quality?

The 2 main types of subwoofers that you are going to see out there are ported and Servo controlled. They sound very different. Again, it's fairly easy for anyone to hear the difference so you might try both types and that can narrow things down considerably. If you like a Servo controlled type sub, that narrows things down considerably. Two of the top dogs in the servo category that most people seem to like are the Venerable Velodyne HGS 15 & 18 inch series and the Paradigm servo 15 inch. These have very small boxes and use sheer amp power to make them go deep and loud. A servo has very low distortion and sounds very clean. Some say "too clean" but that is certainly a subjective choice there.

A ported design has more audible "roll off" than a servo but depending on your taste you may find the Servo sound to be "tight" and clean. Servos limit the motion of the driver whereas a ported design simply flows a little more freely. You can hear the difference. If you happen to like a ported sub sound, then you open up a world of choices. There are alot of "internet direct" companies that make exemplary products for a fraction of what a servo controlled sub costs. However, in your price range, I'd simply get the one that YOU like. I'd even factor in at least one or two shipping charges to order a couple and send the one your don't like back. Consider it a research cost. It's quite easy to audition Servo subs locally and if that's the sound you prefer then your selection should be easy.

Personally I like the "ported sound" a little better than I do the servo sound and I just recently bought myself a Hsu VTF-3. In my opinion one of the best bang for the buck subs on the market. They cost about $850.00. You could buy 3 of them for the price of one Velodyne HGS-18! I have however, found one to be more than enough!

Since the "Internet Direct" brands offer such a good value I find them hard to resist. I also factored in about $100.00 to $150.00 for shipping charges when I was shopping for my subwoofer, so that I could buy at least a couple of the top contenders and compare them directly in my own home. I was actually able to audition the Swan Divas from going to a website and setting up an appointment with a fellow forum member. www.audioenvy.com is a great resource to people who have opened up their homes for auditions. My top three subwoofer choices were the Hsu VTF-3, the SVS 20-39 CS, and the Adire Audio "Dharman". I purchased both the SVS and Hsu and if I couldn't find a winner that I was happy with between those two I was going to move onto the Adire Dharman next. If I could have fit the VMPS "larger subwoofer" in my space, that would have been on my short list as well.

There really is no better way to test "Internet Direct" brands then to just buy a couple brands and bring them home. I currently own a full set of Divas and the Hsu, and I am very happy with the performance. I did feel the Divas outperformed my current set of Kef Q series and that was good enough for me. Especially considering that the whole set of five speakers cost less than ONE PAIR of new Kefs. I also had a group of my "audio enthusiast" friends come over and listen with me to get some other opinions. We made a day of it and took lots of measurements with meters, did blind listening tests, and everyone got to play their favorite "showoff discs". It was alot of fun, and in the end I really felt like I got what I wanted. My Wife on the other hand, took my Kid and disappeared for the day stating that she would rather be in hell than join our little audio party. Oh well. I'm not crazy about shopping for shoes. C'est la vie... :D

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Triad's Director of Marketing, Paul Scarpelli, frequents this forum and should be able to help you on where you can audition Triads.

· Registered
459 Posts
Egan,

I just noticed that you are in Bethlehem, PA...the home of my alma matter...Lehigh U.

I am in Coopersburg, about 3 miles from Bethlehem. I currently have 2 theaters set up with atlantic technology 270 and 370s...but I am changing the one theater over to Triads. I just picked up their line, and I am extremely impressed.

The theater that will have the Triads is the "italian villa" and is using a lexicon mc12, sunfire amp, rock processor, diva eq, 12 berkline seats, g15 dila onto a 135" grayhawk, fiber optic ceiling.....all in a true "outdoor street in italy" setting.

The final murals aren't done yet, and I probably won't have the triads and the new perfed grayhawk installed for about 1 month....but you are welcome to come by my Model Home and I'll show you the theater.

The triads really are amazing...I was going to use the silver monitors, but I decided to put in their top of the line platinums. This theater is pretty over the top already, so I want to ensure we have the best speakers. I was going to pick up M&K, but once I heard the Triads, I was sold.

thanks

· Registered
876 Posts
The InRoom Platinum LCR speaker is $5400-$6300 each and the Platinum Center is $5600-$6500 depending on the finish. Just a bit out of your budget.

I'd look at Gold LCRs (from $1100 each depending on the finish, Gold Surrounds ($1200 each) and Gold Satellites ($500-$700 each) for the rears. Add a Platinum PowerSub ($2200-$2700) and you can squeeze in under $9K depending on the finish you choose. Don't expect discounts. They typically sell for list and owners rarely part with them. Regards.

· Registered
459 Posts
don't forget about the silver monitors. $2000 each and are basically the same tweeter and mid at the platinums, but no 10" woofers. I recently heard the silver monitors, and they were the reason I switched to Triad.

Plus...one of the most respected men in home theater (and on this forum) Dennis Erskine, highly regards Triads. This meant alot to me.

You need to listen to speakers to make sure they meet your tastes, but after my auditions of m&k, Atlantic Tech, Snell, and Triad, I chose Triad to install in my customer's homes.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
acaciolo,

Thanks for the invitation, I had no idea where Coopersburg is, didn't realize you were so close. Maybe I will take up your kind offer to see your home theater. I live in an apt. atm so I am not looking to set up a theater, I was just interested in hearing some high end speakers.

· Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Once again, thanks for the kind words. Allow me to make a few comments on some of your remarks.

Some of you may prefer speakers with a certain sound, such as laid-back, forward, demure, recalcitrant, vociferous, etc...Our goal is to make speakers that don't have a sonic personality at all so they more completely reveal the sound of the program material. The Silver Monitor actually measures within a half dB from around 150 Hz to 14 kHz.

Although the Gold LCR will play to robust levels, the Silver Monitor, at $1000 more each, has at least 3 dB more output capability. Those two 5.25" scan-speak drivers are the same model used in the $37,500 a pair Krell LAT-1. The tweeter is the same one used in our $5400 each Platinum LCR.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.