AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budget for speakers is around $8,000. Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers I should buy? I am going to be running 7.1 surround sound.

Another member suggested Triads. I will try to get to a Triad dealer to demo some. Are there any other speakers that I should consider?

What about subs?

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

· Banned
111 Posts
George Lucas and about 70% of the other recording studios use M&ks. I have a set of the M&K 750 THX model. I highly suggest them.

M&K invented most of the speaker standards for Lucas' THX certification.

At heart, these are musical speakers. I also recommend M&K subs.

· Registered
277 Posts
How a person wants their speakers to sound is to personal a decision for me to make any suggestions but, I can tell you a truth. How you prepare your room acoustics and how you place your speakers will make a bigger difference than any other component that you buy. If that part is right your system will sound great no matter what you end up buying. If that part isn't right you will end up like many people, constantly upgrading components and tweaks and never finding the audio nirvana that you are seeking.

For as much money as you are talking about you can have an awesome sound, if it is set up right. Try downloading the free issues of the Audio Perfectionist to find out some truths about acoustics. My present speaker 's are the least expensive that I have owned and yet, they are giving me the most satisfaction and I have lost any desire to look further. My personal audio satisfaction came about after following the 10 rules of speaker placement, and treating my walls similar to what is described in the journal. If only I would have read this years ago I would have literally saved tens of thousands of dollars chasing the "right" components.

· Banned
111 Posts
The more "experts" and "magazines" you read, the more confused you become.

Just goto a live symphony if you haven't been in a while; then start calling up home theatre shops and auditioning their speakers et al.

Basic rules I have learned:

Never buy Polk Audio

B&Ws are waaaay too expensive in terms of price to performance ratio

Go with seperates

At least consider M&K

Here is a short list of the components that will improve sound, started with the most noticable difference:

speakers (60%)

amp (20%)

preamp (15%)

cable (5%)

· Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

For the price and good performance. I found the Paradigm Studio 100's to be a great speaker. And their matching center channel and rears are good as well. The bass on the the Studio 100's were superb especially driven by a Krell FPB 600 power amp.

The Paradigm Servo 15 is a killer subwoofer as well.

There are so many speakers to choose from especially with a budget of $8000.

Just my 2cents, Brian

· Registered
114 Posts
You should be able to get a very good set of speakers with $8000. I have to agree with rjason on the placement of your speakers. You can find very good information on Alan Maher's site on placement of your speakers.

http://community-2.webtv.net/audionu...cts/index.html

Subwoofer placement is extremely important.

For HT, the center speakers is the most important. Spend your $$ on that. If you love bass, then you should consider to purchase 2 subwoofers. Make sure you purchase good speaker cables, they do make a big difference. If I have $8000 to buy speakers. I would consider JMlab Electra center speaker with the remaining speakers in the JMlab Cobalt series. Before you buy, you should always go for a demo.

good luck,

· Registered
845 Posts
Expensive speakers in a poor room or in a good room poorly placed will not reward with good sounds. I personally like PSB Stratus Golds but am also partial to Revels.

· Banned
111 Posts
M&K speakers are somewhat superior in that nature. You can nearly end up placing them anywhere and they sound like a million dollars.

I even moved my speakers for cleaning one day; left channel on top of the sub on it's side facing the wall, and the right channel on top of the component rack, facing the other wall.

I didn't even notice and just turned on a CD, and continued cleaning. I thought to myself, dang this sounds pretty good throughout the room. I glanced at the speakers not realizing their position and just cackled.

M&K 750 LCR = $330

M&K 550 SS = $250

M&K 105 SUB (pull push dual 12") = $1000

· Registered
22,470 Posts
For $8 grand you could buy a full complement of used Aerial speakers over on www.audiogon.com provided you're a bit patient as stuff comes up used. Pair of 10Ts about $3,500; SR3 surrounds about $1,500 to $2,000;

CC3 center at $800 or CC5 at $2500 (rough estimates of used pricing).

Then you could add a sub or two later if you want.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard that the Triad Silver Monitors are a great-sounding speaker. How would you compare them to the M&K S-150's.

I will demo both. I just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Thanks!

· Banned
111 Posts
Not sure.

The M&K 150s are demanding as far as the number of ampres you need for each speaker. (yes ampres, not watts)

M&K 150s sound like crap hooked up to a receiver. (11 ampres)

M&k 150s sound beautiful with about 80 ampres.

All I can really say is that 70% of recording studios use M&Ks, including George Lucas. And that M&K developed a lot of the speaker standards for THX.

M&k 150s are great for home theatre. If you want a really great musical monitor, try the M&K S-1C

· Registered
62 Posts
Well I may as well throw my 2 cents in here too. I have the Linn 5140's, with the 5120 center channel. I think they sound fantastic, but they do require a little floor space. If you have a dedicated room this isn't a problem. As for the sub, there are many good ones out there (including the Linn), but I chose to go with Mirage BPS400. After a little adjusting the sound was great and very cohesive when rolling from the mains to the sub. I have processor set for 'small' mains even though the Linn's will play fairly low. I am driving with 110 wpc and have never needed more volume or noticed any clipping. Room is 400 sqft with 9 foot ceiling.

I also like the Revel's, but a little out of my price range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.