AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know what to look for when looking for a camcorder, which captures detail for life like results (so that the camera can capture fine details such as a human eye, hair strands gliding across a face, etc).

I just bought a pocket 1080P Kodak camcorder for $100. I thought that all I had to look for in the specs was just to make sure that the camera had 1080p.

Seeing the results of this camera, I'm pretty sure there has to be something else in the equation for the camera capturing detail, other than just ability to capture 1080p video.

Because this 1080P Kodak doesn't do it well (the picture was grainy) , what other specs do I need to look at? I'm willing to spend more money to buy a better, more detailed picture quality camera.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Best thing to do is read and learn. Camcorderinfo reviews is a good place to read reviews. The Panasonic and Canon camcorders are the most popular models right now. Some people like Sony too. I came to the conclusion the Panny HDC-TM90 is the best bang for the buck. Others will have different opinions. The sharpest is probably the Panasonic TM900/SD800 or some variant of these models. Best in low light will be this years Canon models.

Best picture look for max horizontal and vertical lines recorded for max sharpness (not all HD camcorders record the same number of lines), color noise, color saturation particularly in low light. If low lighting is required look at lowest Lux the camera can produce a 50IRE level on your TV screen yet still have good color saturation. 1080p/60 recording modes will be best for sports or fast motion and quicker pans without losing resolution. 24p recording modes good for that film look. Really depends what you want to use it for.

Like I said best to read and learn!

Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonisthebest /forum/post/20908727

Do you know what to look for when looking for a camcorder, which captures detail for life like results (so that the camera can capture fine details such as a human eye, hair strands gliding across a face, etc).

I just bought a pocket 1080P Kodak camcorder for $100. I thought that all I had to look for in the specs was just to make sure that the camera had 1080p.

Seeing the results of this camera, I'm pretty sure there has to be something else in the equation for the camera capturing detail, other than just ability to capture 1080p video.

Because this 1080P Kodak doesn't do it well (the picture was grainy) , what other specs do I need to look at? I'm willing to spend more money to buy a better, more detailed picture quality camera.

Seriously.Did you really think a $100 flip camcorder was going to perform like the ones that cost $500+. lens,sensors electronics.etc.

Look on this forum for one that others use that you can afford.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Quality of the lens, codec used, high bit rate, how the GOP of the codec is structured, processes, imaging chip, etc. Basically it's not just about rather it has 1080 on it and it's true that you can't expect good quality on something very cheap when all the components that's used to make it is cheap.

I would strongly recommend the HX9 if you can allow a budget of up to $350. The next step up would be the Panasonic SD90 which is $400 at B&H.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam /forum/post/20909308

Seriously.Did you really think a $100 flip camcorder was going to perform like the ones that cost $500+. lens,sensors electronics.etc.

Look on this forum for one that others use that you can afford.

Dude! It was the guys first post! He hasn't been here before. That's why I say read and learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts