AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any tell me the fastest processor I can use in a ASUS VIA apollo KT133A chipset on a A7V133 board with 200/266 FSB

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Kjohn:

___I placed an 1800 + in one a few months ago with an updated BIOS so a 2100+ should be Ok as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Excel I assume you mean 1.8 Ghz or 2.1 Ghz I am not that savvy with computer terms. :))))) and should I upgrade the Bios to do so.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Kjohn:

___The AMD XP series CPU’s have a performance rating instead of actual MHz listed to better market themselves against the P4’s and rightfully so. The XP 1800 + is actually clocked at just 1.53 GHz whereas the XP 2100 + is a 1.7 GHz part. The PR ratings are pretty close to true to life in comparison to a P4 w/ similar memory configs (SDRAM/SDRAM – DDRAM/DDRAM) as well as chipset configuration (KT133A/I845 “SDRAM spec’ed†– KT266A/I845D – KT333/I845E-G). In other words, an 1800 + is ~ equivalent across a number of benches to a 1.8 GHz P4. This is not the case in all benches as the AMD CPU’s have a large FP advantage over the P4’s in particular but overall, the PR’s (performance ratings) are pretty close.

___As for the BIOS update, I looked it up at the Asus website and you need at least the 1007 for proper AMD XP CPU recognition. Asus is adding 48 bit addressing for larger than 120 GB HD’s on a number of their older boards so make sure you try the 1009 out in particular.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.