AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added a STB to their Hitachi 53or60SDX? IMHO the RCA DTC100 does not work properly even with their VGA to YPrPb converter and the latest software update (40b). Can someone relate their experience with these HDTV's?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think the latest software is 4.37 not 4.0b. Timing issues were addressed with 4.37.

--Rick

[This message has been edited by ricka (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RFM

The Sony was one of my main STB's I wanted to try. The only dealer here that has any said I could not return if I didnot like, so I am reluctant to try. Am waiting anxiously for your feed back. Please post when you get it or send me a private message.

Thanks in advance, Chuck

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a Unity Motion with my 36SDX88B direct view with excellent results. HD sources are C-band for PBS and ABC and DISH (5000 + HD adapter) for HBO & Showtime (no OTA in my area).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is this the problem where the TV essentially 'shuts-down' and comes back up in like two-three seconds?

I have theorized that it was a problem where the signal input was being clamped as though the signal was too 'hot' and the TV was deactivating the input to protect itself.

Is this also the same problem seen with some Hitachi's and progressive DVD players?

Ron

Quote:
Originally posted by RFM:
I had a DST3000 hooked up to my Hitachi 60SDX88B for about two weeks but experienced the "black-out" issue that I recall seeing in threads on other forums last year. When watching 1080i content, the display would go completely black (gray bars included) intermittently for a couple of seconds at a time - this would happen anywhere from about 5 times per hour up to 25 times per hour. I got no where with Hitachi as they blamed the Toshiba STB. I have a Sony HD100 ordered and will try that to confirm whether or not the problem is with the TV or the STB.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RFM:
I had a DST3000 hooked up to my Hitachi 60SDX88B for about two weeks but experienced the "black-out" issue that I recall seeing in threads on other forums last year. When watching 1080i content, the display would go completely black (gray bars included) intermittently for a couple of seconds at a time - this would happen anywhere from about 5 times per hour up to 25 times per hour. I got no where with Hitachi as they blamed the Toshiba STB. I have a Sony HD100 ordered and will try that to confirm whether or not the problem is with the TV or the STB.
I hate to tell you this, but it is not the STB. It is the 60sdx88b and the 53 inch model also(53sdx89b?). There are a couple of us that had these sets and tried everything.

When I had the service people at my house I demonstrated to him that my UM STB worked perfectly with my computer monitor while simutaneously watching the 60sdx88b black out.

Hitachi knows that the set is defective. Hitachi picked up the set(my retailer would not) and refunded my money 100%. It was an aggravating and drawn out experience. I empathize with you.

You need to call Hitachi service. I also wrote BBB and consumer affairs of San Diego. Eventually they agreed and made me sign a release stating they did not admit that the set was defective. But they did send me my money.

You need to be persistent. If you bought it from a good retailer, perhaps they will take it back. One of the guys bought theirs from Sears and was able to return it with no hassle.

I bought a pioneer elite 510 that worked flawlessly with the same STB. I am very happy with the new set and enjoy having a widescreen TV.

I wonder how many people have 60sdx88b sets thta have never tried to use an HDTV stb. The set has a great picture for 4x3 set.

baimo

[This message has been edited by baimo (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
164 Posts
I beg to differ. There is nothing wrong with the 60SDX88b. It's a great unit. I've got one set up with a RCA DTC100, AA Converter, Directv and Local OTA HDTV. Works perfectly. Great HDTV picture and 4 x 3 picture. Problem is with STB compatability of other units... with all this waiting that's been going on for the 2nd generation of STBs -- it's not worth it DTC 100 still rules!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DLB,

When I tried the DTC100 as I indicated in the first post of this thread, it did not work correctly with OTA channels. Do you not get a top and bottom gray bar with any OTA channels in HD mode and component video as source? If the OTA channel was 4:3 as indicated by the DTC100 info banner, the picture was inside the 810 lines and looked squashed. If the OTA channel was 16:9, I got a secondary black bar above and below the image inside of the other gray bars. I was using the RCA HVDT300 vga to YPbPr converter. Please comment as I am confused. Does the Audio Authority change the 540p RCA output?

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck666 (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLB:
I beg to differ. There is nothing wrong with the 60SDX88b. It's a great unit. I've got one set up with a RCA DTC100, AA Converter, Directv and Local OTA HDTV. Works perfectly. Great HDTV picture and 4 x 3 picture. Problem is with STB compatability of other units... with all this waiting that's been going on for the 2nd generation of STBs -- it's not worth it DTC 100 still rules!
You can beg to differ all you want. But you would be incorrect. Perhaps you are lucky enough to have a good unit, but believe me, many of us on this and other HD forums had this set with different STBs. They all had one thing in common. They blinked(blacked out) when displaying native 1080i. They were fine with upconverts, but blinked every time they received native 1080i.

I wish you luck with your set, but dont be surprised if it starts blacking out on you.

baimo

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RFM - Yes, I did notice the blacking out, but I thought it was from a borderline antenna signal. I was getting 45-55% signal strengths and thought that was the issue. If digital signals are either locked on or not locked regardles of the strength, then I am in ERROR and it is the black out problem dicussed above.

DLB - Help, need yur reply

Baimo - When did this occur? Did you get a case number or something like that? Do you know if they issued a service bulletin?

To all - wwhat model number do/did you have - Minds a SDX88BA serial 2284 (last four digits)

Chuck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RFM,

Seems funny to be talking to a Michiganer again. I lived in the Flint area for 50 years before moving to the Phoenix area. Glad to see that HDTV's aren't finicky by US region HA,HA. Question - do you know or are you assumming that the DVD is outputing in 1080i. I had no trouble getting 4:3 on SDTV with the RCA, I just had squeezed images on all OTA UHF channels. And, changing the aspect ratio with the RCA only gave me the double bars top and bottom or single gray bars that looked to wide. One thing Hitachi has been unable to tell me is what triggers the fixed 16:9 output. Since the RCA outputs 540p and I think obviously 1080i forces 16:9 and so did 540p, what doesn't????????????? Hope when you get the Sony some these question will be answered. Apparently the Toshiba's outputs also forced 16:9.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Chuck

I bought my set a 60sdx88b in 4/99. Bought a UM stb in september 99 and noticed the problem shorlty afterward. It took Hitachi 6 months to pick up the set and refund the money 3/2000. I do not have a complaint number.

Hitachi completely denied that anything was wrong with the set. They blamed the STB and the signal. In reality they just did not want to open the flood gates. If they thought there was no problem, they would not have returned my money.

Trust me, they know about this problem, but they are playing the odds that not that many people will actually hook the set up to an HDTV stb.

I would assume the problem has been fixed in newer models.

I would demand that Hitachi replace the set with a newer model.

I would also complain to

BBB of San Diego, Inc.

5050 Murphy Canyon Road, Suite 110

San Diego, CA 92123

phone: (858) 496-2131

fax: (858) 496-2141

email: [email protected]

you can file the complaint online. Big companies do not like having a bad record from the BBB and they will respond to you quicker if you have filed a complaint. They made several service calls to my house first. They replaced the chassis and a flex-converter but they did not help.

Good Luck

Baimo

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had the Hitachi 60SDX88B 1year, 10 months, DTC100 for about a year. Run everything through a Denon 3300 (w/ component switching). DTC100 to TV Hookup is through AA converter. Default TV watching is 4:3 on DirecTV and local OTA Digital. When I view channel 199(HDTV Loop) or 509(HDTV HBO) I simply push the "Fetch" button(option with the new software upgrade Directv sent down to the DTC100)on the RCA remote and my TV viewing switches to HDTV (grey bars top and bottom - full width picture)- great picture! To get back to 4:3 - push the "Fetch" button again (it's a toggle). If I want to watch OTA digital, I push the "Input" button then choose one of the OTA Channels - great 4:3 digital picture! If it's KOIN (CBS) and its a HDTV broadcast, I push "Fetch" and there it is -- great HDTV picture- Masters and Superbowl were like I was there!--PBS(loop and some programming), NBC (Leno), NBC (loop), FOX (digital) -- it all works great. Sorry others are having problems --- My Hitachi works fine - one of the best pictures on the market as far as I'm concerned. Follow-up and warranty service has been above average - other thing I really like about the Hitachi is the "magic focus" button - makes it easy for convergence adj.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DLB,

Great response thanks. Is the Denon 3300 your A/V receiver? I assume so. Also, a little clarity on one item. You said to watch OTA digital you push the "input" button. On what device is the input button. You say then you get great DTV in 4:3, you're saying 480i upconverted, right? And then "fetch" to change it to HDTV ( 1080i ) and thus 16:9, right? If I have understood correctly, that would be great with me too, but with the RCA trascoder that's not what happens. Everything on the component is distorted. I think the Audio Authority is the key to the issue. I will go to their site again and see what are its outputs. If can tell me also that would be great. I assume it is powered. Does it have switches?

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RFM

Thanks for info. On www.***************.com, there is a Hitachi forum. I posed a question to the group and have not received any forum responses. I did get a private post from someone who has the same problem and he got bought his in DEC 1999 (I got mine in May 2000). Sears can not fix it and they said Hitachi has not acknowledged the problem (been 2 weeks). Sears said they will honor the warranty and take it back if they cannot fix it. Can you answer me a question I can not seem to get an answer to? If you had an RCA DTC100, did you get gray bars top and bottom on component input and did you have aspect control? When I had one, all OTA channels had gray bars and I could not remove them even if the signal was 4:3. But when the signal was 16:9 I got a second set of bars top and bottom. I see some users on this forum had no trouble with the DTC100 and the Hitachi. I think they were using the AA transcoder and not the RCA, what do you think?

Chuck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chuck666,

The Denon 3300 is my AVR. The "Input" button is on my DTC100 Remote - it toggles between TV and DirectTV program viewing. Your comments are correct on 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The AA converter is a powered unit - no external switches. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Baimo,

Thanks for the details. I couldn't help wondering why you have the San Diego BBB address not one in NJ? I'm sorry I do not recognize the UM initials on the STB, which brand? When you say "they" were out several times, who is they, an authorized service guy or Hitachi?

DLB,

Are all your OTA channels broadcasting in 16:9 or are some 4:3 ( as indicated on the info screen from the RCA )? Did you ever try the RCA transcoder HTDC300 (I think)?

Later, Chuck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chuck666,

OTA Digital for CBS, NBC, PBS - When I'm viewing full screen Info will read 16:9 Crop

When I switch to HDTV Info will read 16:9

OTA Digital for FOX, ABC and another independent, KPTV Info will read 4:3 when watching full screen

No, I have not tried the RCA converter

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck666:
Baimo,

Thanks for the details. I couldn't help wondering why you have the San Diego BBB address not one in NJ? I'm sorry I do not recognize the UM initials on the STB, which brand? When you say "they" were out several times, who is they, an authorized service guy or Hitachi?

Chuck,

San Diego = Hitachi Electronics of North America Headquarters

Hitachi America, Ltd. Home Electronics Division

1855 Dornoch Court

San Diego, CA 92173 US

Phone: 619-661-0227

WWW: http://www.hitachi.com/

UM = Unity Motion

I used a Unity Motion HDTV STB with the Hitachi. VicW(had the same problem) used a Panasonic and others(Ajaxx) used the RCA. They all worked fine with our next sets.

When I referred to "they" , I was writing about Hitachi authorized local service people.

baimo

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Baimo - thanks for the info.

DLP - I need to ask a couple of questions to add clarity to my scrambled brain. Assumptions- Input 2 of course has the component video input from the RCA thru the AA. S-video is connected to input 1 or 3.

On the OTA 16:9 channels - you said full screen reads 16:9 crop, that means you had input1 or 3 selected, right? When it said 16:9 you were on input 2.

On the OTA 4:3 channels - you said full screen reads 4:3, input 1 or 3, right?

When I used input 2 connected as above, the 4:3 channels were shown squeezed into the 810 line screen with the appropriate gray bars. The 16:9 channels were shown in the 810 lines with gray bars and an addional set of blackish bars with retrace lines in them. This is way I cannot understand how anyone can like the RCA; but of course, I was feeding thru an RCA VHDC300 trancoder.

I will be waiting for your clarifications and thanks again.

RFM - Hope you get your Sony today and add some more fuel to my pile.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.