AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I would like you to help me choose my next studio monitor(s)/speakers for my desktop computer. I don't use a dedicated sound card nor a DAC. (I don't know if I need them)

My budget is about 150€ ($171) but if it's necessary I could go up to about 300€ ($342)

My listening interests are music and gaming but I care more for music. What I listen to the most is dubstep, edm, electronic music in general and rap but I listen to a bit of everything, heavy metal, music with instruments, etc.

Currently I'm using the Woxter Big Bass 260 (2.1 system - 150W)

I would like to improve the sound quality. I live in a flat, on a 2nd floor, my room is not big nor small and on my left I've got my small terrace.

I have enough space and I don't care about aesthetic or size.

I'm considering about getting the KRK Rokit 5 G3 studio monitor

Or the Mackie CR4 studio monitors

But I don't know anything about audio so I don't know if I will notice the difference. I don't know either if I should get one higher quality studio monitor, or a pair, if I need a subwoofer or not or if if I should get a pair of good regular speakers instead.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you.

Quim

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
I'd check out the JBL LSR-305 monitors. Where in Europe are you?

·
Registered
24,201 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or, I would get a nice set of passive speakers with a mini-amp like this:

If you're not doing any actual music mixing/recording, normal speakers can often sound more pleasing. The Wharfedales will not need a subwoofer unless you are a true basshead.
Ok, thank you, I will continue using my current speakers.

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Ok, thank you, I will continue using my current speakers.
The main difference you'll hear with speakers like the Wharfedales vs your current Woxter 2.1 is much fuller, more extended and refined midrange...voices will have more body and weight coming out of a full-sized speaker vs small plastic desktop satellites, and the treble will be more balanced with the midrange instead of dominating. Similarly, there will be less boom-boom down low, but the bass will be tighter and more accurate instead of just smeared muddy thuds.

At least that was my experience with the Logitech Z-2200 that I used to have...it was ok for low or moderate background listening, but turning it up more was awful especially with female vocals, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main difference you'll hear with speakers like the Wharfedales vs your current Woxter 2.1 is much fuller, more extended and refined midrange...voices will have more body and weight coming out of a full-sized speaker vs small plastic desktop satellites, and the treble will be more balanced with the midrange instead of dominating. Similarly, there will be less boom-boom down low, but the bass will be tighter and more accurate instead of just smeared muddy thuds.

At least that was my experience with the Logitech Z-2200 that I used to have...it was ok for low or moderate background listening, but turning it up more was awful especially with female vocals, like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Ok, thank you again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts