AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I speaking, english? Ok, ok, I was wondering what curren SVS/Hsu subwoofer owners had before they bought their first/current SVS subwoofer.

I am looking for subwoofers you SVS/Hsu owners had IN your homes and tested, used, and decided to get rid of that was 'suppose' to be comparable to your first and or current SVS/Hsu subwoofer.

No, I am not looking for folks that went from a make-believe subwoofer (like my Yamaha 55W 6" subwoofer) to a real subwoofer, but something you replace with a SVS/Hsu in the same size/power class.

I guess I am trying to separate those that honest did some owning and or comparisons and not just the hyped first-time owners that happen to g0 from an 8" HTIB subwoofer to a 15" SVS or Hsu subwoofer and potentially make claims that its the best out there.

Ok girls, let's here. :p

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Velo CHT 120 and 150.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Monitor Audio 210 - actually a great sounding, fast subwoofer for music, and cost more than my SVS 16-46PC+. It went down to the lower to mid 20hz range at best. Strong, powerful, accurate bass that impressed many a visitor, BUT WOW, was the SVS an eye opener! I FELT things that I never felt before (sounds like a line for a new girlfriend, huh?). There is a sonic presence in the room. The frame of the couch vibrates when there are low frequency sounds that you cannot even hear, like a 16hz pipe organ note.

The Monitor Audio will move to my family room with my old Denon 3300 and some yet to be decided upon 5 speaker package for SACD/dvd-a listening.

BTW WanMan, since I have a 45TX also, that should tell you I can spot a good value for the money!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Velo go BOOM BOOM BOOM. Hsu VTF-3 go Bada bing bada boom bada bing bada boom boom. :D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
JBL 10" mudbox ~~~~>> SVS 20-39PC

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Paradigm PS1000 to a SVS 25-31. No comparison. The PS1000 was *very* boomy while the SVS is tight and accurate (and almost the same price!).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I started with an Energy S10.2. I can easily say that was BLOWN AWAY by the SVS 25-31PC+.

In comparison the Energy seemed anemic and very, very boomy. The SVS sounds very clean! :)

Matthew

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had an Altec Lansing THX sub(a real monster) and a Citation 7.4(another real monster) together. Now I have an SVS 16-46i and the Citation. The SVS takes bass to another octave(not to mention another level).

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a Sunfire Cube that developed a hum problem (none ground loop) so I decided to replace it with an SV 20-39 PCi . The SV blends much better with my main speakers and is much less boomy. The cube would produce what appeared to be more low end bass but afer listening to the SV for a few days now I realize it was not very pleasing. The SV allows may to play at lower volumes yet still get the impact which please my wife (and neighbors) greatly.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you guys were making the change-over from your last non-SVS/Hsu to your first SVS/Hsu did you perform a 100Hz Sweep test using an SPL to identify any dips, severe or otherwise, in the amplitude? Yes, it is nice that a subwoofer product is capable of putting out [email protected], but if it also puts out only [email protected] then what good is it? Just curious.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lived with the B&W for over a year, moved into a much larger space. The B&W went into the abyss insofar as presence. In the smaller space I was perfectly happy with the B&W, reasonably quick and difficult to overload.

The new Hsu VF-3 is just magnificent. It IS easy to overload and requires some pretty fine tuning to optimize but once calibrated it is really awesome.

I used the built-in testing and calibrating in my B&K Ref 30 preamp, which includes crossover, notch filtering and frequency sweeps. In many ways this resulted in a more pain full and protracted process since it is so easy to screw things up. Ultimately it allowed me to fine to the thing to a pretty high degree.

I'm still fighting standing wave deamons/WAF but do not attribute this to the sub, per say. It's the hobby.

regards,

patrick

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Patrick, you are the first person I've read a comment from about a difficulty in setting up an SVS/Hsu subwoofer product. I do understand that in general subwoofer calibration is more difficult than loudspeakers or surrounds, but I setup a subwoofer last Saturday that really was nothing more than flipping 2-3 toggles into THX position and letting my Elite MCACC do the rest. End result was wonderful.

If you have a digital camera, could you post a close-up of the back amp-panel? The pictures on Hsu's website is way too small for me to get a look-see.

·
Registered
604 Posts
But it'll be after I get home from work, etc.

What sort of detail are you seeking?

I would attribute your ease of setting of the sub to pure luck, acoustically speaking. There are so many issues pertaining to standing waves, proximity, furnishings, etc.

I recently plopped a Hsu VF-2 into the den, tucked into a spot adjacent the wood stove which sits on a platform in a corner. The sub thus sits just off to the right of the main speakers.

Other than setting the sub level the sound is staggering. I felt like a genius.

I may NEVER get the VF-3 tuned to an optimal level due to X the Unknown.

I know Hsu recommends placing the sub into your listening spot, literally, and then walking around the room to hear where the bass is the most clean and even - this is where to move to sub. It sounds insane but is really very solid thinking. I have not yet opted to herniate myself testing this theory.

regards,

patrick

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was the intent. HSU Research already had a good photo of the amp for the VTF-2 online, but they just couldn't do the same for the VTF-3.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brad, I did not mean to knock your photo--its actually better than Hsu's--but I wanted to see what was on the panel for the VTF-3 subwoofer I was thinking of ordering. BTW, what subwoofer product did you own before your bought your VTF-2? Did you get a chance to hear someone else's Hsu before you bought, or was this a leap of faith? :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.