AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recently bought a Subwoofer from someone at work (our company has a buy/sell section via Outlook and we have a few thousand employees - I do not know her)

I can't find anything online about this sub. I only paid $50 so I'm not that concerned.

It seems like it isn't really doing much, so maybe I have it connected poorly, or setup poorly. I am currently using an RCA video cable I had laying around - should I bother getting a true "subwoofer" cable - I am planning an order from monoprice anyway.

How do I setup the subwoofer and my receiver to get it to work optimally.

Here are some images - the back of the sub and my receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I found the Athena AS-P300 manual at the Athena site. It seems very similar to your Sub8 with some slight differences in connection labels.

You have your hooked up similar to Method 2. Your sub cable should be connected to the subwoofer out connection in the lower left of the back of the Pany. You should move the LP filter to 80 or 100, not at 50 like your pic shows.

You can also try to connect to the Xover input and use just the bass management/channel volume controls on the Pany.

The following is from the AS-P300 manual.

HOW TO CONNECT AND USE

YOUR SUBWOOFER

Caution:

Do not use both low level RCA inputs simultaneously

Do not use both low level and high level inputs simultaneously

Turn off all power in your audio/video system before proceeding with your

installation. Not doing so could result in potential damage to the system.

CONNECTING AND OPERATING THE

SUBWOOFER - METHOD 2

1. On the rear of the receiver there should be a single RCA type jack named Subwoofer Out Connect a single RCA type audio cable from the Subwoofer Out jack to the Sub Input

2. Plug the Subwoofer's AC cord into an AC outlet. Do not use the accessory type AC outlets on the rear of the AV receiver.

3. Set the Low Pass Filter Control to match the model of speaker that you have in the front of your system. The best way to start finding the correct frequency is to set the control to the low level cut off of the front speakers. This specification can be found in the owners manual of your speakers, or from the manufacturer. This is just a starting point however as room acoustics, placement and other variables dictate that you will need to experiment with this control to get the sound of the subwoofer to blend with that of the front speakers.

4. Adjust the Volume Control to match the output of the system. This can be one to suit your personal taste, and room size. Start somewhere in the middle of the dial and adjust as you feel is necessary.

CONNECTING AND OPERATING THE

SUBWOOFER - METHOD 3

For LFE or Home Theater Applications

The AS-P400/AS-P300 subwoofer features a secondary input called the XOVER Input . This is also known as a crossover bypass type input.

This is recommended for dedicated home theater systems only.

When using this input, the Low Pass Filter Control and the Volume Control are bypassed. This means that the subwoofer will output its total possible frequency range, which is up to 120Hz. The volume output of the subwoofer must be adjusted from the Bass Management system built into your Audio Video Receiver.

Note: In music applications, use of the Direct Input can cause an overlap in the bass response between the subwoofer and the front speakers, and usually a boomy sound is the result. It is recommended to use connection Method 1 or 2 for systems where both music and home theater are being utilized.

1. On the rear of the receiver there should be a single RCA type jack named Subwoofer Out Connect a single RCA type audio cable from the Subwoofer Out jack to the XOVER Input

2. Plug the Subwoofer's AC cord into an AC outlet. Do not use the accessory type AC outlets on the rear of the AV receiver.

3. No adjustments to the Low Pass Filter Control or the Volume Control are necessary as these controls are bypassed.

4. Adjust the Volume Control to match the output of the system.

This can be done to suit your personal taste, and room size. Start somewhere in the middle of the dial and adjust as you feel is necessary.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon2807 /forum/post/0

Using an RCA video cable to connect a subwoofer is worse a sin than drowning your own children.

Awww.......Come on Denon, a cable's a cable right?
Isn't that what most people say?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Is there something (mp3, cd, dvd, etc) I can use to test if it is even working at all? I honestly don't notice it.

And yes, I will buy a cable from monoprice but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to be trashing this sub.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/0

Awww.......Come on Denon, a cable's a cable right?
Isn't that what most people say?

I have to admit, I thought so just yesterday but I changed my vote as of today. The way I had my system setup, one Y splitter into the subwoofer output on the receiver and another Y splitter into that one in order to accept three subwoofer outputs. The one going directly to the receiver is some upper class brand sold by Sound Advice. The second Y splitter is a Monster splitter. When I started testing the subs with some music today I noticed the second SVS I have was lacking, holding back almost and was hitting nearly as hard as the other SVS. Then I realized the second one was plugged into the Monster Y-splitter. On a hunch I bought another upper class y splitter from Sound Advice (don't remember the brand but they say it's much better than Monster) and now my second SVS sounds just as good. Who knows... maybe I had a defective Monster y splitter but maybe all cables just aren't created equal. Regardless, I know Monster makes a very good subwoofer cable as that's what I'm using --- Monster Bass 400.

But my statement stands: Using a video cable to connect a sub is worse a sin that drowning your own children.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage /forum/post/0

Thanks for the advice. Is there something (mp3, cd, dvd, etc) I can use to test if it is even working at all? I honestly don't notice it.

And yes, I will buy a cable from monoprice but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to be trashing this sub.

Find the woofer and put your hand on it. If it ain't moving the subwoofer is dead. Be sure to crank the volume up to maximum just to be sure. Oh, and be sure to play some kind of music or DVD while doing this test. The subwoofer isn't suppose to do anything unless something is hooked up to it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, my fronts are Athena AS B2.2's

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/v2/pro...B2.2&sub=specs

According to that, the low end is 50 Hz, so I should set the LP Filter to 50 (As I have it) and the Level to the middle (As I have it) and connect via RCA type to Input (as I have it)

Not sure why it isn't producing any sound. I do'nt care if it is weak I should hear SOMETHING right?

·
Registered
16,978 Posts

Quote:

Using an RCA video cable to connect a subwoofer is worse a sin than drowning your own children.

No it isn't. It's absolutely fine. It's a 75ohm coaxial cable and will work perfectly for a subwoofer.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0

No it isn't. It's absolutely fine. It's a 75ohm coaxial cable and will work perfectly for a subwoofer.

Perfectly? Are you kidding me? Why would anyone buy a Monster subwoofer cable then if you can go out to Wal-Mart and pick up a $0.99 RCA line to connect your subwoofer?

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:

Perfectly? Are you kidding me? Why would anyone buy a Monster subwoofer cable then if you can go out to Wal-Mart and pick up a $0.99 RCA line to connect your subwoofer?

Monster Cable is all about marketing deception. Have you seen their HDMI cables? Ugh.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0

Monster Cable is all about marketing deception. Have you seen their HDMI cables? Ugh.

That's your viewpoint. I believe that some Monster cables have purely marketing built into them, such as thier HDMI cables. But are you telling me that a $0.99 RCA video cable is just as good performance wise as a $49.99 Monster Bass 400 cable?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

Quote:

According to that, the low end is 50 Hz, so I should set the LP Filter to 50 (As I have it) and the Level to the middle (As I have it) and connect via RCA type to Input (as I have it)

Not sure why it isn't producing any sound. I do'nt care if it is weak I should hear SOMETHING right?

The LP filter should be as high as possible - 100 in your case. At 50, it's only playing frequencies below 50hz. The receiver should have the speakers set to SMALL so the receiver splits the frequencies between the speakers and the subwoofer. If you turn down the sub's own crossover, then you are filtering out even more frequencies.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

Quote:

That's your viewpoint. I believe that some Monster cables have purely marketing built into them, such as thier HDMI cables. But are you telling me that a $0.99 RCA video cable is just as good performance wise as a $49.99 Monster Bass 400 cable?

Maybe, maybe not.

Also depends on the length and if it's split.

But try connecting 1 sub and do a listening test to see if you can tell a difference. For video cables, people can't tell a difference between $30 and $500 component cables.

The sub cable carries a very limited range of frequencies. Past a certain threshold, there's very little, if any, return on getting a more $ cable. Especially because it's a sub cable. I probably wouldn't use a cable the thickness of angel hair pasta, but there's no need to spend $50 on a 3' cable.

Something like this (even though it's 2 cables) would work just fine- single cable (digital audio coax):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

$2.70 for 3', or just over $6 for 25':
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots /forum/post/0

Because they think the Monster cable is far superior.

BINGO

Denon will have to drown his Denon receiver and MBM now! And send the dual SVS to me,so I can put some subs in a closet.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Quote:

IMO it's better to send the lower signals to the sub. Set your receiver so that the 2.2's are set to small. Set the crossover on the receiver to 100Hz and turn the LP filter on the sub all the way up to max. This way, all of your LFE signal below 100Hz will be sent to the sub, rather than to your front speakers, which won't produce 1/2 the bass of the sub.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You need to make sure your AVR is set up properly. Is the sub channel on? Are your satellites set to small? Is the Xover set to 80?

Try using Method 3 by connection to the Xover Input.

If you use Method 2, set the LP filter to 100.

Check your cable connections.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/0

You need to make sure your AVR is set up properly. Is the sub channel on? Are your satellites set to small? Is the Xover set to 80?

Try using Method 3 by connection to the Xover Input.

If you use Method 2, set the LP filter to 100.

Check your cable connections.

Ok, I have it now plugged into the XOVER jack and my speakers are as follows:

Main: Athena AS B2.2 - set to Small

Center: Athena AS C1.2 - Set to Large

Surrounds: Bose bookshelfs - Set to small

In the receiver setup I set "Filter" to 80

Should I set the center to small as well?

I can actually hear the sub now, which is better than before. I know it is not anything special, so I don't expect much out of it.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yes, set all speakers to small.

And I was wondering about the two inputs on the sub. The "XOVER INPUT" probably either enables the sub's crossover, or disables it (because you are using the receiver's crossover).

And looking at the picture again, that sub is probably the "Sub 8," presumably something that was sold as part of a 5.1 package. Or just one that is discontinued now. I found THIS that mentions "Athena Sub 8"

EDIT:

is this what the sub looks like?
http://www.amazon.com/Athena-SUB-Wat.../dp/B0009PYGLU

I googled:

Athena "Sub 8"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.