AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everybody what 10 inch subs do all you Americans like I live In England And The sub they seem to go for over here is a brand called Rel but I myself am not conviced that that is the way to go .I have been involved in car audio and know that the Americans have some very good subs for the car audio so what do you recomend.

Thanks Thae Rat

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had a HSU VTF-2 since April of this year, and its awesome!

·
Registered
404 Posts
vmps sells in europe-the best sounding sub i ever heard

·
Registered
930 Posts
Velodyne subs are considered by many as the best. HGS series

are very good , I have the HGS 18 and it goes very deep and is very

tight.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigslue

tight.
I definitely second this opinion! I have the HGS-18 in a 12'x14' room (yes, I should have padded walls because I'm a loon) and it is definitely a gut-shaker, if that's what you're looking for. No distortion, just clean, pounding bass. All of my acquaintances concur that Velodyne is the name to have when looking for subwoofers. Of course, there are other brands out there that stake their claim to fame, but, in my opinion, it's Velo hands down!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thats right "loopy" tight and deep! So tight and clean that its

very seldom that I can tell where the sub is, and that is very

rare in my experience. So deep in my room that 20-25 hz is

louder than the rest of the bass and the only distortion is

all of **** in my house shaking and rattling! Drums have a

good quick thump and no over hang (tight).

·
Registered
350 Posts
My favorite sub so far is the Aerial. One fine piece! My favorite affordable subs are the ACIs. I own a pair of Titan IIs and a Force. Both are very accurate, musical, well integrated subs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
All great subs mentioned here, I would include listening to a martin logan depth also. I purchased one last week, and it was not a sub that I even included in my original list.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just to add something else to the list, since SVS has already been mentioned (though they still get my vote), the Revel B15 with built in parametric EQ. For anything less than the cost of this sub, though, I'd go with SVS.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Heard the HGS18 this weekend (U571, Ice Age). Sounded pretty good. Then heard another sub (see http://www.soundphysics.com/cb.html ) being demoed at a Home Theater Group get together [by Mark Seaton

Sound Physics Labs, Inc., ServoDrive, Inc.] It's called the ContraBass. Let's just say that the HGS18 sounded like a Bose sub compared to the ContraBass. This is NOT an exagerration.

The owner of the HGS18 offered his for sale and purchased the ContraBass on the spot. The ContraBass was unbelievable (and was powered off only a 200 watt amp!). The explosions in U571 rocked half the neighborhood. I think we felt them in the room more than the submariners on the boat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigslue

tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had friends with top-of-the-line Velodyne, HSU, SVS, and even the 1,000 watt Legacy, all come over ready to send my high end 8 year old M&K with push/pull design to the dumpster.

The M&K competes more than favorably with every subwoofer that has made its way into my listening room.

My next purchase will definetly be the M&K THX350 MKII or the MX-5000THX MKII. I don't care what anyone says about being overpriced, etc. because the proof is in the listening and I've found no one who thinks that my M&K isn't worth every penny I've spent on it.

Now, with that said, I'm ready to see how much M&K has developed since then. Someone who has done a direct comparison between the top-of-the-line subs mentioned above and the two M&Ks models that I listed, please show me something that I haven't seen (or heard). I want to purchase the best without breaking the bank on something like the Aerial that I heard elsewhere, but could not compare directly with M&K.

Please help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another vote for VMPS. The most effortless, extensive bass I've ever heard from a subwoofer is from the VMPS "Larger Subwoofer" with the upgraded "MegaWoofers".

-Chris

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djlackey5
B&W also makes nice 10" subwoofers: ASW 675, CM, and CDM. Worth checking out.
B&W subs are terrible. That's why most B&W dealers carry Velodyne.

Anthony

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also favour M&K. We use 2 MX-150THX subs in our theater room. But there are lots of great American subs out there: Revel, Snell Acoustics, Velodyne...

Anthony

·
Registered
859 Posts
officiousintermeddler, do you know how much these things cost? I've heard of them before but I have no idea what price range we're talking. If you don't know exactly, then a ballpark range would do. Are we talking HGS-18/Revel B-15 prices, or more Paradigm Servo-15 range (list prices for all)?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I read the review of the Contrabass in Widescreen Review and for

movies it sounds like it might be awesome, but what about for

music? Not the best looking thing around and is really big. Don't

remember how much it costs, but it probably would be one of the

best LFE subs around.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.