AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a sub for a 2.1 system with bookshelves for a 12.5' x 11' room. I've just started listening to speakers and am leaning towards Definitive Technologies 350 bookshelves. How important is it to match the sub to the bookshelves? Is there any matching formula like a 12" is better than a 10" with a larger bookshelf? Also should I be spending as much, more, or less on a sub than the bookshelves? I originally wanted to try for a budget of about $500 for speakers, but the DTs are $500 and most of the subs run from $500 as well. Any brand suggestions appreciated.

Listening to such good extension of bass from a sub also has me thinking I want to add one to my main 2 channel floor standing speaker setup in my living room as well. I had planned on turning that into a 5.1 setup years ago, but was told it would be difficult to match a center channel, and would have to replace the fronts with pretty much an entire 1 brand 5 speaker package. Finances and the fact that I rarely watch DVDs, but mostly TV and music are keeping me from making that a 5.1 setup. Is is hard to match a sub to floor speakers? Mine are DCM QED1As from way back in 1985, 2-way front ported with 8" woofer. The living/dining room is fairly big, 14' x 19.5' (+ another 12' for Kitchen which is only separated by a bar to the dining area. There's vaulted ceilings from 8' to 12' with a stairway wall just behind the entertainment center running up to an alcove up to the 12' ceiling. Can 1 sub do the job?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter /forum/post/16976396

I am looking at buying a sub for a 2.1 system with bookshelves for a 12.5' x 11' room. I've just started listening to speakers and am leaning towards Definitive Technologies 350 bookshelves. How important is it to match the sub to the bookshelves? Is there any matching formula like a 12" is better than a 10" with a larger bookshelf? Also should I be spending as much, more, or less on a sub than the bookshelves? I originally wanted to try for a budget of about $500 for speakers, but the DTs are $500 and most of the subs run from $500 as well. Any brand suggestions appreciated.

Listening to such good extension of bass from a sub also has me thinking I want to add one to my main 2 channel floor standing speaker setup in my living room as well. I had planned on turning that into a 5.1 setup years ago, but was told it would be difficult to match a center channel, and would have to replace the fronts with pretty much an entire 1 brand 5 speaker package. Finances and the fact that I rarely watch DVDs, but mostly TV and music are keeping me from making that a 5.1 setup. Is is hard to match a sub to floor speakers? Mine are DCM QED1As from way back in 1985, 2-way front ported with 8" woofer. The living/dining room is fairly big, 14' x 19.5' (+ another 12' for Kitchen which is only separated by a bar to the dining area. There's vaulted ceilings from 8' to 12' with a stairway wall just behind the entertainment center running up to an alcove up to the 12' ceiling. Can 1 sub do the job?

There's no such thing as a matching LFE sub other then looks. For a modest music only setup in a small room, a small sealed box is all thats needed. Check out the new ED A3s-250 for $315, found in this thread. The intro price will only be for a couple more weeks until the products officially launch.

As for your other setup, there's no reason you cant pick up a couple random speakers for surround duty and a decent sub, and run a 4.1 setup. You can't do 5.1 right without a matching center, which there isn't for your mains. If you're happy with your stereo imaging a center isn't really needed. Not sure what your budget is for this setup?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'd get a Martin Logan Dynamo for $350 from Amazon. Great little sub, should be enough oomph for a small room. Very good sounding, and looks decent as well. You can have it down firing or front firing which gives you more placement options

Edit: sorry, it seems the price went back up now they are out of stock

For your larger room, you definitely want a big ported sub to give you the headroom to fill that large room. The eD options are good and high value, not always the prettiest but top bang for buck

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
I own an Infinity PS212 - an adequate sub for 2 channel music listening in smaller spaces. It does music rather well - not so well for HT. Which is why I have an eD A5-350 on order.

For the price the PS212 is a very good bargain IMO.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/16996294

I'd get a Martin Logan Dynamo for $350 from Amazon. Great little sub, should be enough oomph for a small room. Very good sounding, and looks decent as well. You can have it down firing or front firing which gives you more placement options

Edit: sorry, it seems the price went back up now they are out of stock

I just listened to that last weekend and again last night compared with both the Vienna Acoustics and Definitive Technologies 350 bookshelf speakers at Best Buy. It sounded good. What's strange is that the pictures on Amazon matches the one I saw at BB, but ML's web site shows 2 rear ports and an amp? vent on the rear. Did they change the model recently? I don't think a vented one will be as clean and might be problematic if I put it under my desk near the rear desk wood backing which comes down about 6 inches from the floor and is only an inch from the wall. It was $650 in store at BB, but when I Googled on "Martin Login Dynamo", there are 2 BB links, one of which lists it at $499.98 and BestofAudio, which sells it for $408. There appear to be 2 versions of this: a non-ported Dynamo, and the Dynamo 500 with 2 rear ports.

Edit: just noticed this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1164000 which describes 2 different models - I assume the older non-ported one is the 700, and also explains the price difference from $650 to $500. I think they cheapened the new model with the ports and cheaper cone material.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The original non-ported sub is the Dynamo. The new 500 - 700's are the ported ones. The silly thing about the new ones also is that they are ported but do not have as good of a frequency response. The original Dynamo had a +-3 response of 25 Hz on the low end. The new 500 has a lower end of it's frequency response @ 29 Hz and the dimensions of the box are larger??

I have one of the originals and it is truly something special for it's size.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've pretty much decide to go with B&W 685 for the bookshelves in the 12'x11' bedroom office. I paired the B&W ASW610 sub with them and they sounded good. They are a small enclosure so won't take up too much space in this smaller room, however are expensive at $650. I also A/B listened to the Velodyne DEQ12R which definitely had lower bass response as well as automatic room correction and are $649, but is a lot larger enclosure. The old Martin Login Dynamo is also $650. I'll be listening to 95% music and 5% HDTV, and am looking for something that is accurate with good extension that can match my bookshelves. The 3 I've listened to above all sound good, and are sealed subs (is that better than ported for accuracy, especially in this smaller upstairs room?) however, are they overpriced for my setup? I'd like to get my cost for a sub down to $500 or less. Unfortunately, the Infinity PS212 isn't available in any local stores for me to listen to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.