AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a sub for a 2.1 system with bookshelves for a 12.5' x 11' room. I've just started listening to speakers and am leaning towards Definitive Technologies bookshelves (don't know the model number but they have 6.5" woofer and side 8" woofer). How important is it to match the sub to the bookshelves? Is there any matching formula like a 12" is better than a 10" with a larger bookshelf? Also should I be spending as much, more, or less on a sub than the bookshelves? I originally wanted to try for a budget of about $500 for speakers, but the DTs are $500 and most of the subs run from $500 as well. Any brand suggestions appreciated.

Listening to such good extension of bass from a sub also has me thinking I want to add one to my main 2 channel floor standing speaker setup in my living room as well. I had planned on turning that into a 5.1 setup years ago, but was told it would be difficult to match a center channel, and would have to replace the fronts with pretty much an entire 1 brand 5 speaker package. Finances and the fact that I rarely watch DVDs, but mostly TV and music are keeping me from making that a 5.1 setup. Is is hard to match a sub to floor speakers? Mine are DCM QED1As from way back in 1985, 2-way ported with 8" woofer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter /forum/post/16976151

I am looking at buying a sub for a 2.1 system with bookshelves for a 12.5' x 11' room. I've just started listening to speakers and am leaning towards Definitive Technologies bookshelves (don't know the model number but they have 6.5" woofer and side 8" woofer). How important is it to match the sub to the bookshelves? Is there any matching formula like a 12" is better than a 10" with a larger bookshelf? Also should I be spending as much, more, or less on a sub than the bookshelves? I originally wanted to try for a budget of about $500 for speakers, but the DTs are $500 and most of the subs run from $500 as well. Any brand suggestions appreciated.

Listening to such good extension of bass from a sub also has me thinking I want to add one to my main 2 channel floor standing speaker setup in my living room as well. I had planned on turning that into a 5.1 setup years ago, but was told it would be difficult to match a center channel, and would have to replace the fronts with pretty much an entire 1 brand 5 speaker package. Finances and the fact that I rarely watch DVDs, but mostly TV and music are keeping me from making that a 5.1 setup. Is is hard to match a sub to floor speakers? Mine are DCM QED1As from way back in 1985, 2-way ported with 8" woofer.

Please re-post this in the Sub thread since it is more of a sub question then a speaker question.

But to answer the matching a the SUB to the speakers. As far as I know there is no golden rule for cone size of speaker to cone size of SUB. Also it should not matter what SUB you go with so long as it is a decent sub. You can mix and match SUBs to any speaker and won't notice much a of a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts