AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm pretty new to the game & have been learning just enough to be somewhat dangerous (to myself mostly) down at the local AV store. I'm looking to do an overhaul of a main system that sees 60/40 HT/audio usage. Will be located in a great room type setup - I know not ideal for SQ, but my house is small & the sig. other factor is in play.

I demoed both the B&W CM5's and the 805s at my local shop, liked them both, but was really impressed with the 805s on 2ch audio - so lifelike my gf & I were blown away. I will caveat that with the fact they were played through some really nice Classe gear (unattainable for my budget).

What I'd like to know is what level of AVR or pre/pro/5ch amp do I need to consider to do a L/R/C 805s setup justice? The speakers are on the high end of my budget, but I figure I'll hang on to them for about 10 yrs. so maybe it's worth it - not sure. Consensus on this forum seems to be to go heavy on speakers & build around them as the base of the system.

For reference, what I'm considering now is an Integra 9.9 AVR or an Integra 9.9 pre/pro with a Rotel RMB-1565 100x5. The scaling/upconverting & Audessey features of the Integra stuff for HT is attractive to me, but not a show stopper.

I'm totally open to hitting the used market locally to look for a quality amp ($1-1.5k if possible) - would be looking for something on the 'warm' side & not overly forward, as I have a lot of hard surfaces in the home (windows, hardwood, granite). I've read good stuff about NAD, Sunfire, Parasound Halo, other Rotel's.

Can you guys help steer me in the right direction, as I am concerned about getting railroaded in one direction by my local salesman????

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
805s could easily last you 10 years. Good choice.

I like the 800 series with Rotel amps or even (gasp) Sony ES receivers. I played with that setup at my dealer when trying to decide a future direction for my system. I don't they do the speakers full justice, but I do like the combination.

I can't stress how happy I was using Audiogon to locate used pieces. I restricted my search to my state and ended up driving out to check things out in person, but enthusiast to enthusiast just worked better for me than eBay or Craigslist.

Weird footnote: when I bought my current mains from an Audiogon user he included his phone number in the box and asked me to call him before selling them. He already had seller's remorse before they left his house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Follow up question on the Rotel recommendation.

I've been told the new 15 series multi channel amps run nice & cool - a nice feature as the system will be in a lower bookcase cabinet.

Do the previous generation 10 series run relatively hot or would it be an equally good candidate for the location?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Rotel and B&W go very well together so you made a great choice on gear (Rotel, B&W, and Classe are all part of the same parent company which is why you will always them together at stores).

The new higher end Rotel are ICE amps that provide good power. Check out audiogon as every once in a while you will find some good deals on rotel stuff at over 50% off from msrp.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The amps you mentioned are all great performers, and your speakers deserve something that good. Don't use a receiver with 805s, and if you do, don't admit it here. You'll be forced to don the Shroud of Shame. Kind of akin to running regular gasoline in a Ferrari.

As far as most "new" amps running cooler; that is because many, if not most, amplifier companies have now embraced digital Class D output stages, or a derivitive of Class D. I've owned some really, really good amplifiers over the past thirty years, and my current digital amps are the best I've owned. I see little reason to go to a huge, power-hungry heater of a Class AB amp at this point. (That said, Triad will use three big Parasound Halo amps to drive the fronts at next month's CEDIA demo in Atlanta. They're class AB.)

Rotel has always worked very well with B&W, but the brands you mentioned are excellent, as is Sherbourn, Classe, and even Adcom.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone311 /forum/post/16941888

I'm totally open to hitting the used market locally to look for a quality amp ($1-1.5k if possible) - would be looking for something on the 'warm' side & not overly forward, as I have a lot of hard surfaces in the home (windows, hardwood, granite). I've read good stuff about NAD, Sunfire, Parasound Halo, other Rotel's.

Can you guys help steer me in the right direction, as I am concerned about getting railroaded in one direction by my local salesman????

Thanks!

Take a look at the Emotiva lineup of amps as well. The XPA-5 is an excellent value and has 200wpc x5.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16945608

Take a look at the Emotiva lineup of amps as well. The XPA-5 is an excellent value and has 200wpc x5.

They seem to be getting quite a rep but is that power rating an accurate measurement or one of the controversial ones? Wyred4 sound and D-Sonic makes cheap ICE based amps if the OP decides to go Class D.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16945691

They seem to be getting quite a rep but is that power rating an accurate measurement or one of the controversial ones? Wyred4 sound and D-Sonic makes cheap ICE based amps if the OP decides to go Class D.

I'm not aware of any of their power figures being in question.

I have their UPA-7. You can read the power figures here . Page down about half way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great feedback - thank you all.

Paul, thanks for the advice. Race gas only from now on!

Am I correct to assume I should look for something north of 100wpc to drive the 805s? I've seen comments to the effect they can be somewhat current heavy & having the extra hp on reserve is advised.

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone311 /forum/post/16947442

Great feedback - thank you all.

Paul, thanks for the advice. Race gas only from now on!

Am I correct to assume I should look for something north of 100wpc to drive the 805s? I've seen comments to the effect they can be somewhat current heavy & having the extra hp on reserve is advised.

100wpc is more than enough to drive them to very loud levels. The nice thing about the 800 series is that they will take all the power you can give them. I have seen the 805S being demoed with Mac monoblocks and they still take all the juice they put out with ease.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone311 /forum/post/16941888

Hi all - I'm pretty new to the game & have been learning just enough to be somewhat dangerous (to myself mostly) down at the local AV store. I'm looking to do an overhaul of a main system that sees 60/40 HT/audio usage. Will be located in a great room type setup - I know not ideal for SQ, but my house is small & the sig. other factor is in play.

I demoed both the B&W CM5's and the 805s at my local shop, liked them both, but was really impressed with the 805s on 2ch audio - so lifelike my gf & I were blown away. I will caveat that with the fact they were played through some really nice Classe gear (unattainable for my budget).

What I'd like to know is what level of AVR or pre/pro/5ch amp do I need to consider to do a L/R/C 805s setup justice? The speakers are on the high end of my budget, but I figure I'll hang on to them for about 10 yrs. so maybe it's worth it - not sure. Consensus on this forum seems to be to go heavy on speakers & build around them as the base of the system.

For reference, what I'm considering now is an Integra 9.9 AVR or an Integra 9.9 pre/pro with a Rotel RMB-1565 100x5. The scaling/upconverting & Audessey features of the Integra stuff for HT is attractive to me, but not a show stopper.

Thanks!

The claim that high priced amplifiers sound better than the rest is totally unsupported by testing. The amp you have will sound the same as any properly built amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.