AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have a clue as to hot hot the air is that is venting from the projector? I have a HD1000 and where it needs to be mounted is kinda close to a fire sprinkler. The sprinkler will be behind the projector but still was wondering if anyone knew what temp it can reach. I think the sprinkler is activated at 155 degrees.Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
As part of my job I help clients design fire protection systems. I would be very concerned if you mounted the projector close to the sprinkler head. I have seen examples of where temporary light bulbs and halogen light bulbs that are placed to close to the sprinkler resulting in its operation. Office occupancies and conference rooms typically have projectors mounted at least 4 feet from any sprinkler head.

Are you renting or do you own the facility your are mounting the projector at?

If you own the facility you could always have the sprinkler head relocated by several feet (sprinkler's typically most be placed anywhere from 8x12 feet away from each other) or you could have the sprinkler head replaced with a sprinkler head with a high temperature rating (286F). For an apartment or house I would only replace the sprinkler head with a higher temperature rated head if there are more than one sprinkler head already in the room so that you still get good/fast responding protection (Note: This may not be acceptable according to NFPA 25 but your local fire marshal may still allow it).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HD1000u exhausts at 145'F from the front left grill (looking at the lens straight on). From the rear you should be fine. If you attach a 120 mm, 12v PC fan to the right air intake grill you can drop the exhaust temp. to 130'F. You could also attach a clear plexiglass blast shield behind your PJ to protect the sprinkler and your PJ in case the sprinkler goes off.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

HD1000u exhausts at 145'F from the front left grill (looking at the lens straight on). From the rear you should be fine. If you attach a 120 mm, 12v PC fan to the right air intake grill you can drop the exhaust temp. to 130'F. You could also attach a clear plexiglass blast shield behind your PJ to protect the sprinkler and your PJ in case the sprinkler goes off.

145 next to a 155 degree F sprinkler head is cutting it kind of close.

Also, while the plexiglass would protect the projector from the sprinkler going off ... the rest of his room would be totally trashed as the sprinkler would be outputting around 10-15 gpm!

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsgt /forum/post/0

Hello,

Does anyone have a clue as to hot hot the air is that is venting from the projector? I have a HD1000 and where it needs to be mounted is kinda close to a fire sprinkler. The sprinkler will be behind the projector but still was wondering if anyone knew what temp it can reach. I think the sprinkler is activated at 155 degrees.Thanks

Read the below thread that Bud provided with some excellent examples & testing on this subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=800306

Regards,

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Im going to call a contractor tomorrow and see what options I have. Im going to see if its possible to plug that head, if not maybe relocate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.