AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hsu VTF2 and like it a lot, but am having some "what if" thoughts. What's this 'turbocharger' I keep reading about (from Peter Marcks (sp?) from Hsu)? I don't see anything on Hsu's site. It'll cost me a good chunk of change to upgrade to a VTF3, so was wondering if there's a cheaper/better solution.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Not too much is known about it because HSU hasnt released too much info on it. ETA is unknown as well, although I am sure Mr. Marcks may be able to give more info.

Supposedly it extends the length of the ports on the vtf subwoofers.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Yes, VTF2 MKII. With a trade-in, I have the opportunity to upgrade to a VTF3 (newest model), but for just over $300. I have a smallish room (2200 cuft), but may move in the near future. Worth it? Or wait for this turbocharger thingamajig?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, get it now. I have a VTF3 II, and I'm very happy with it. I have a bigger room than yours, and the VTF3 is more than enough for my room. You can always add the turbocharger option later, if you desire more bass.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut
You can always add the turbocharger option later, if you desire more bass.
Which is why I'm wondering if I should just sit tight for now, to see how this turbocharger works/costs. Unless someone has $300 they'd like to donate to treat my upgradeitis. Darn thing itches.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre
My room is 13x24x7.4(around 2300 sq/ft) and I have dual VTF3 MKII subs. Go big and you won't regret it.
I guess I'm posting in the wrong place if I expect someone to say "you don't need to upgrade." Will definitely consider the upgrade.

Legairre, that Radden home theater is amazing. It seems you live by that quote under your name.

I know it's all speculation, but is "HO" a "turbocharged" VTF? Or are those 2 different things?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found some answers. A turbocharger apparently is a port extension that will lie on top of the enclosure (at least from what I've read). "HO" is a whole new product.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would also speculate that lengthening the ports would give more extension (i.e. go deeper) but sacrifice some output (i.e. overall spl). Like they say - it's not a free lunch.

So if you aren't getting enough bass (i.e. spl) then adding more extension while decreasing spl capability probably won't be what you are looking for.

Unless the "turbo charger" can defy the laws of physics, I am not sure exactly how it would help you. However, if you have plenty of bass, but want it to go deeper, then this might be for you - but so far it is purely vaporware.

Bryan

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
Legairre, that Radden home theater is amazing. It seems you live by that quote under your name.

I know it's all speculation, but is "HO" a "turbocharged" VTF? Or are those 2 different things?
Thanks gohd, the room is still a work in progress. I still need to post picks of the VTF3s. Just haven't had time, but the duals are pretty amazing.

From what I've read the turbocharger connects to the ports on the back of a VTF-2 MKII, VTF-3 MKII, and a STF-3 and lowers the tuning point, but does not reduce output. There's also new subs called the VTF-2HO and VTF-3HO. The VTF-3HO will be the equivalent of dual TN1220's and the VTF-2HO will be equal to a single TN1220.

Here's a link with pics of the HO "without" turbocharger.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/sho...ighlight=turbo

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I didn't see those pics while I was 'searching' the Hsu forum. I think that "HO" might push the WAF factor in my house after seeing those pics. Not sure if the front firing turbocharger will work either. Almost a guarantee the little one will find the ports a nice hiding place for her toys. I'll just play around with placement of my VTF2 a bit more before I make a decision on an upgrade. Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the Turbocharger is a mythical creature that only exists on the 7th sabbath in the 4th quarter dimension sector 7.

it's force to be reckoned with, hailed by some. experienced by few, if none.

it's a beast of smoke and ash. you can't even have one if you've got teh cash.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you did inhale. Pretty good nonetheless. Some of the threads regarding these rumors go back to early 05, so you could be correct.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dear ladies and gentlemen,

There is a lot of confusion and misconception about how the 'turbocharger' actually works. Please allow me to explain more clearly.

The turbocharger is a device that attaches to the rear ports of the subwoofer, makes a U-shape bend, and then fires forward. The turbo ports are housed in a rectangular box that rests on top of the subwoofer.

The idea behind this concept is relatively straightforward: to provide some of the benefits of both maximum output mode (= maximum available port flow area) and maximum extension mode (= lowest available tune).

Variable tuning solutions currently seen on the market from us and others work as follows: in order to reduce the tuning point (and therefore lower frequency response), the user is required to plug a port(s). The act of reducing port cross-sectional area while maintaining port length results in a lower effective tuning point for the subwoofer. While fairly effective in practice, one of the problems with this method is that port flow area is reduced by 33-50% each time that the tuning point is lowered.

The turbocharger is designed to allow one to effectively reduce tuning point without reducing available port flow area. By adding port length instead of keeping port length constant, a user will be able to reduce tuning point without needing to reduce port cross-sectional area. Please, please keep in mind that this is NOT the same thing as reducing tuning point without reducing output. Based on fundamental laws of physics, efficiency lowers as tuning point is lowered, all else equal. This means that, no matter what method is used to achieve a lower effective tuning point (via port plugging method or via turbocharger), efficiency will lower and output over the common bass frequencies will go down. The main difference lies in the lower bass, where output tends to be boosted when lowering the tune. By keeping port flow area constant as tune lowers, one is able to further boost their low bass output versus plugging a port. There will be less port compression and less port turbulence-related noises, all else equal.

To conceptualize this and get a better understanding of why this concept is very fundamentally sound, think about performance differences in this comparison: a port-plugged VTF-2 MKII in 25Hz mode with one free 3" port, versus a turbocharged VTF-2 MKII in 25Hz mode with maximum available port flow area. It is easy to see why the latter would have a notable advantage in the lower bass where port contribution is significant.

There is more to tell about the upgrade option, but I am not ready to do so at this time, as I would like to keep it a surprise. My apologies :D

Hope this helps. We will try our best to swiftly provide new products in a tangible form.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, played around with placement a bit more, and nearly blew down my walls with my VTF2 watching Phantom of the Opera, Incredibles and a couple others. Even so, still decided to work a few more hours OT and spring for the VTF3! I knew it'd be dangerous to lurk in this bass head forum. :) Thanks for all the input everyone.

Thanks Peter for the info. It's good to know there's a future upgrade option in the works for the VTFs. Sounds like it'll be better aesthetically (i.e. rectangular box on top) than I imagined (i.e. 2 Big Gulp cups lying side-by-side).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just hooked up the VTF3. I was afraid I wouldn't notice a difference from the VTF2, but I did. So I'm glad I dished the extra dough for the upgrade. Haven't fooled with it much, but seems just more effortless with the bigger driver and amp. No duh, right? I don't think I'll be needing a turbocharger anytime soon now. Money well spent I think.

Before I really got into AVS, I thought Velodyne was the only way to go (only subwoofer-only company I saw in B&Ms) but they seemed way out of my price range (at least the few that I saw). So, thanks AVS for hooking me up with Hsu, and for much less than I thought I'd have to spend for a kick-butt sub.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I like how you said you don't think you'll be needing a turbo anytime soon. Sounds like me when I had one VTF3. I figured one was enough then a member brought over his and we tried two. The bass is so adicting you'll be looking for more so I bet you'll get a turbo sooner than you think.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre
I like how you said you don't think you'll be needing a turbo anytime soon. Sounds like me when I had one VTF3. I figured one was enough then a member brought over his and we tried two. The bass is so adicting you'll be looking for more so I bet you'll get a turbo sooner than you think.
Like I said, I knew the Sub forum was dangerous...esp for the pocketbook. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.