AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
It will be out within the next 3-6 weeks. I'm hoping and betting it will be the best. However, I have to admit my enthusiasm for any of these "new" products, in light of all we've been talking about with copy protection schemes, has really been dampened. The MPAA sure knows how to ruin a great party.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the aspect ratio correction feature of the upcoming Zenith STB? Specifically, if you watch 4:3 programs on a 16:9 monitor, how does it correct the ratio? Does it just zoom and make everything fat or cut off the top and bottom, or both, like what the Toshiba DST3000 does now? Using component video, the Toshiba STB imposes its own stretch mode over the monitor's stretch mode. I wish Zenith could allow you to keep the stretch modes offered by the monitor itself, which is much nicer.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I can tell you that the Zenith DTV-1080 will enable you to use the stretch modes on your TV for 4:3 material. The 480i component pass-through on this receiver will give you that ability without the burden of swithcing to the S-video output of the receiver. However, with the Zenith's enhanced line doubler, you might prefer the upconversion of this receiver to your TV. In order to use the line doubler on the Zenith DTV-1080, you must select the 480p, 720p or 1080i output of this STB. Doing that would preclude you from using your TVs' stretch modes in favor of the Zenith's. Therefore, I'm also curious about the ability of the Zenith to stretch 4:3 programming to fit 16:9 TVs.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Doesn't this press release in the July 31 edition of Widescreen Review indicate the Zenith DTV-1080 has finally hit the market? The release stated that, "Zenith Electronics Corporation has introduced a digital high-definition television (HDTV) set-top box that receives both local terrestrial and satellite HDTV signals.

Planned for Summer 2001 availability, the $799.95 Zenith set-top box receives HDTV and standard-definition television (SDTV) signals from terrestrial broadcasts, HDTV and SDTV signals from DIRECTV® and NTSC analog broadcasts.

The flexible satellite/terrestrial decoder also has switchable component outputs for 1080i, 720p and 480i/480p displays, and features 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio correction. On-screen menus use crisp bit-mapped graphics."

The summer is almost over and the title of the article stated that, "Zenith Launches Digital HDTV Terrestrial/Satellite Set-Top Box." Unless this article is totally off base, this long-awaited receiver should now be available.

Andrew

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen one anywhere if it is shipping.. I've checked stores in Philly and Atlanta. Anyway, I hope it is as good as some of the eariler threads make it out to be.

I've held off buying one of the other STB's for this one. I would've bought already actually... probably the Panny... but since putting my son thru college I can't afford to play like I used too!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean about the DTV takeover bids, I'd hate to buy a STB only to have it become obsolete "overnight".... but I was reading in USA Today last night that the Murdock/NewsCorp takeover might be within 2 weeks of some agreements.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In the Sept issue of SGHT, J. Gorden Holt reviews the Zenith Pro-1200X front projector. In the review he mentions getting a "$799 Zenith set-top box that could have received HDTV and ...SDTV signals" but he doesn't have a broadcast antenna to check it out. WHY I DON'T KNOW! But anyway this must be the new STB and he had it in his hands probably a 2 or 3 months ago. So unless there is a problem I don't see any reason the unit would not be released in September as previously posted.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Bob,

Welcome to the forum! I've been waiting too to replace my DTC100, but I'm a bit uneasy in light of the recent bid by Dish to take over DTV. If that happens, I believe our new boxes will be useless in a relatively short period.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The last I heard from my Zenith Pro AV rep, it was still waiting for DirecTV's approval.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I talked to Cousin's Video earlier this week and they also said it was waiting DirecTV's approval. He said Zenith expected to get approval around September 1st and that the STB would be available about 3 weeks after that. So it looks like it has been pushed back to the end of September.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
It's amazing how DTV always takes months to "approve" a new DTV receiver. What exactly is this process that takes forever?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The process involves rigorous testing designed to flunk unit.When that fails the paper trail hits the wall until sufficent other makes are sold to people who gave up waiting for the newest/bestest/hotdog.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I hope the release of the DTV1080 hasn't been pushed backed until the end of September. Hopefully, the DIRECTV approval won't take until Sept 1. How could it possible take this long for their approval? Also, why would it take 3 weeks after DIRECTV's approval for the receiver to hit the market?

Please don't say another delay is happening.

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.