AVS Forum banner

what the ... ?

351 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pronghorn/az 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, This is my first post here.

I had a 65" mits DLP that just conked out (color wheel) so I decided to get something new instead of pour more money into that one (i'm kind of starting to regret that though). So I got a new XBR HX65 950 about a week ago.

I had an old Dish Network DVR. The HDMI output didn't work so they set it up with component video cables. It looked pretty good (not perfect like i expected for this price) when things weren't moving. But with movement (like on the Final Four games for example) i had quite a bit of motion blur. So i figured it must be the setup. So i upgraded to the Dish Hopper (a "free" upgrade for only 10$ more a month- really? but that's another story). So the Dish guy comes, sets everything up HDMI with a brand new dish, a brand new Hopper DVR, less splitting, and less cable routed - essentially as perfect a setup as he could do. And the picture was worse! Worse than with component video cables, a 6 or 7 year old dvr with only 1080i capability (the Hopper is supposedly 1080p capable and supposedly puts out an excellent picture). i put on a game they were replaying on nba network for my eye test (which i had done on the previous setup) and it was noticeably worse than before with all the new stuff.

that night i watched the NCAA championship game - a good reference - and yup, it was indeed even worse than before - ALOT of motion blur (and i had way more than i thought i should have before - now with the new setup there is even more. The TV techs are coming out next week to see what they can figure out.

Even today when a friend came over and i had HD CNBC on she said "is that your new tv? why is it so blurry? you need to return that thing." And that wasn't even with a lot of motion. So it's not just me.

1) Does anybody know what could be going on before i return this very expensive but so far disappointing tv?

2) Has anyone else had picture quality challenges with this tv with the Hopper DVR?

It just seems very strange.

I tried messing with the settings last night and that didn't improve it at all. i don't have a blue ray player but the tv guys are bringing one for their tests next week. The only other thing I'm going to try before they come is try an OTA antenna and see what an uncompressed signal looks like on it. But never-the-less, if it looks good and satellite doesn't, that's still not acceptable (i watch alot of sports. i can't have everything on espn and tnt for example be very, very much less than perfect). If it's not going to look any better from a compressed signal then i might as well go get a set at walmart or something for 1/5 of the price and it will look the same. And i guess if even the OTA looks bad then something is definitely very, very wrong. I highly doubt that that's what the tv is supposed to look like even from a compressed signal though (?). help anyone?!

thanks,

Steve

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
that's the first time i've ever heard anyone say that OTA was also compressed. never-the-less, if it is, which i doubt, it's a lot less compressed than what cable and satellite is sending out and should give me some kind of a test.

it's not a settings issue. i've been through the settings. none of them improves the picture. uhhh, of course i'm watching HD channels. for what it's worth, the SD ones are even incredibly worse. There's a Motion Flow setting (doesn't help) but not a frame Interpolation(motion smoothing) setting. my remote has no info button but i'm definitely in 1080i mode on both the tv and the satellite.

i thought i WAS in the HX950 thread. i'll try to find it.

thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.