Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Tier is Blood Diamond

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When voting if you feel it belongs in between specific films within a tier please mention it in the thread

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Are we going to require people to account for their vote? If so...

I voted Tier 4 (because Tier 5 isn't listed in the poll) because while the image quality of some of Blood Diamond is good, the picture quality is widely inconsistent during the whole film, and some of the worst images are downright horrible. I'm judging not because it doesn't have beautiful scenes, because it does, but there are lots of scenes that look really, really bad. Due to this inconsistency, I am judging mostly on the bad images, and placing it in Tier 4 (would have voted 5 if the option was there)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Another question: are we going to go with the tier that gets the most votes, or do some averaging based on number of votes per tier or similar? Going strictly by the Tier with the most votes seems like it's going to cause the same problems that we saw in the first place ("My opinion didn't matter"), while doing some averaging takes everyones vote into account.

For instance, and this is just one possible scenario, with the current votes (zero Tier 0, one Tier 1, four Tier 2, two Tier 3, and four Tier 4), if we multiply the number of votes per tier, add them up (31), and then divide by the total votes cast (11), we get a Tier of 3 (2.818182 rounded up), which would be somewhat of a compromise, but takes everyone's vote into account. Of course, it makes placing the movie in the Tiers themselves a bit difficult, but that might be worth it if it keeps the majority happy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open to suggestions...I was gonna go with the top vote getter and will be watching this tonight.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Maybe before voting, we should establish some criteria, because all of the ones in the existing link seem to be for movies with consistent PQ throughout, and this release doesn't have that. I know I'm voting based off the worst scenes in the movie, and I get the impression those voting Tier 1 and 2 are voting for the best scenes while ignoring the worst. There's no other way you can explain how a movie that looks as bad as this one does at times gets a single Tier 1 vote let alone four of them.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
OK, using the same voting weighted method with the current votes (0 T1, 4 T1, 8 T2, 6T3, and 5 T4), the movie would be Tiered 3 (Tier Score of 2.51 rounded up to 3), or towards the bottom of Tier 2 to be more accurate.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Heh, someone with no posts giving this a Tier 0 vote? And that doesn't sound fishy to anyone else?

/I feel like I'm talking to myself here.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you scoring makes good sense Joseph and I like it. If somoene with 0 votes votes for tier 0 in the end over 5 days it'll get factored out by the volume of other voters (think bell curve).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah, my thinking exactly, especially if we don't round up and use the whole number to also place it in the Tier it falls. The 0 vote put it at 2.41 from 2.52 before it, which is a minimal move overall.

Also, I think if people want their vote counted in the final tally, they need to put in a small blurb detailing their vote. 1: it will show what they're voting on, which will help with additional voting down the line, and 2: it will keep the thread toward the top, instead of having be constantly blathering to do it.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSTI /forum/post/0

I think you scoring makes good sense Joseph and I like it. If somoene with 0 votes votes for tier 0 in the end over 5 days it'll get factored out by the volume of other voters (think bell curve).

I agree with the averaging idea.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched it last night and felt it was tier 2...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I'd made voter IDs public LOL

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Perhaps I would put it a little higher that Tier 2 but based on the tier system descriptions, I would say Tier 2 is a fair vote.. It pretty much represents the film as I remembered it from the theater. This is a great film and it was not easy to be distracted from the characters and story while seeing it again on Blu-ray.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Hi All...

Please be so kind TO STOP the polls. I am working on new software that will be used for the reviews and ranks of not only Disc, but even hardware.

The current polls will not be ported over and will be removed, thus please kindly stop making them at this time.

It may no be until tomorrow that it gets on-line, for it is a full review system that is standalone from the site, but will be part of the site like the gallery is.

Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.