AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's time to dump my Sony 34XBR970 TV. I don't want to move with it....


I found great deals on Panny 54g20 and 58s2. the same price-new in box.



I really don't know if I will be able to see the difference in blacks/colors.....


I do like to play xbox360 and video games and I love to watch NFL and NHL.


what should I buy?


I want to get this locked down this weekend as I am moving to my house I just bought and I really don't want to get a few buddies to help me move my old TV.



thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Whats your viewing distance? Take it from someone with a 50". You WILL want to go bigger after you acclimate to the size of your TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen82 /forum/post/19546488


Whats your viewing distance? Take it from someone with a 50". You WILL want to go bigger after you acclimate to the size of your TV.

This is funny as I have yet to buy a new couch too.



I'm guessing that i should be fine with the 54G20, but this set sooooo much better than the S series?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlax54 /forum/post/19546614


This is funny as I have yet to buy a new couch too.



I'm guessing that i should be fine with the 54G20, but this set sooooo much better than the S series?

Somewhere inbetween a little better and so much better. But it is enough of a difference to go smaller. If you wanted a 65-inch, than it would be a considerable size difference to go 54.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen82 /forum/post/19546488


Whats your viewing distance? Take it from someone with a 50". You WILL want to go bigger after you acclimate to the size of your TV.

well I am going to get the 54g20 and then move this to the bedroom after i get a 58 or 65 VT in a year or so......


I think i got a killer lead on a 42u2 for less than 300 nib. I'll use that in the bedroom for now and then move this into the guest bedroom.


Nope...buy.com was sold out......damn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlax54 /forum/post/19547069


well I am going to get the 54g20 and then move this to the bedroom after i get a 58 or 65 VT in a year or so......


I think i got a killer lead on a 42u2 for less than 300 nib. I'll use that in the bedroom for now and then move this into the guest bedroom.


Nope...buy.com was sold out......damn...

I'm losing out..... still need help.


Costco.com now does not have the 54G20 on the website.


They might have it in stock-Can i fit it in my Scion XB 2009? (new model style)


I would need to bring it down from San jose to The OC.


Or....... Should I just get the 58s2.... get BB to match the sears price and get it delivered.


What to do??? What to do???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlax54 /forum/post/19548458


I'm losing out..... still need help.


Costco.com now does not have the 54G20 on the website.


They might have it in stock-Can i fit it in my Scion XB 2009? (new model style)


I would need to bring it down from San jose to The OC.


Or....... Should I just get the 58s2.... get BB to match the sears price and get it delivered.


What to do??? What to do???

I would have voted for the 58" S2. The G20 and S2 share the same color gamut and general picture quality outside of THX mode. You will not be playing your xbox 360 in THX mode, its color gamut, grayscale, and overall light output are really setup for faithful film reproduction.


I would have said get the S2 for sports and gaming. Ive setup an S1, G10, and S2 and they all look pretty similar to me when there all setup in the "custom" mode.


Is the G20 really that different from the 3 models I have dealt with?


58" is a nice size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have time....

Sounds like some like the 54g20 and some like the 58s2


For the same price... Hmmmmm I want to buy today.....


Will 4inches hurt me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19548980


I would have voted for the 58" S2. The G20 and S2 share the same color gamut and general picture quality outside of THX mode. You will not be playing your xbox 360 in THX mode, its color gamut, grayscale, and overall light output are really setup for faithful film reproduction.


I would have said get the S2 for sports and gaming. Ive setup an S1, G10, and S2 and they all look pretty similar to me when there all setup in the "custom" mode.


Is the G20 really that different from the 3 models I have dealt with?


58" is a nice size.

Not too fond of the Custom mode in general. I really like the THX Mode. Don't plan to use any of the other modes. And I've heard the G25 is much better than the S2. G10 and S1 had less of a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just went to Costco and I need to call each one to see if I can get it. I don't think the product is now online.....


I Might have to get the 58s2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,322 Posts
The G20/G25 is better than the S2 in every picture quality category. The only thing to be gained with the S2 is the larger screen size, but that's also 4 more inches of not-as-good picture quality. Unless you're like 15 feet from the screen, i'd definitely choose the 54G20.


The 54G20/G25 Carton Dimensions are 36.9" high x 57.6" long x 13.1" wide.


My local Costco had about 8 of em sitting on the floor a few days ago, even though it was no longer listed at their online store. Hopefully you can find one at a store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBabyJesus /forum/post/19550056


Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on the 54G20 -- local costco was out, and checked other stores finding the closest is 4 hrs away. Doh.

yeah i am in the same boat..... some will have them, some won't..... Online does not have it anymore.....


if this is not an option, what should I do for a HDTV? i want 54 or larger.....


should I do a Panny 58s2? Sears has it for 1099.99


or is there a different model- remember i want the best for a lost cost (i just bought a house and I got things to spend on too) and I am coming from a sony 34xbr970.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlax54 /forum/post/19550149


yeah i am in the same boat..... some will have them, some won't..... Online does not have it anymore.....


if this is not an option, what should I do for a HDTV? i want 54 or larger.....


should I do a Panny 58s2? Sears has it for 1099.99


or is there a different model- remember i want the best for a lost cost (i just bought a house and I got things to spend on too) and I am coming from a sony 34xbr970.

Amazon is offering a free speaker system (soundbar and subwoofer) with the TC-P54G25. I would go for that offer but it will cost a little more than what Costco had it for. That would actually be a better deal given no tax, no shipping cost, and free speaker system. Though if you don't want the speaker system, you could sell it back on ebay or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlax54
it's time to dump my Sony 34XBR970 TV. I don't want to move with it....


I found great deals on Panny 54g20 and 58s2. the same price-new in box.



I really don't know if I will be able to see the difference in blacks/colors.....


I do like to play xbox360 and video games and I love to watch NFL and NHL.


what should I buy?


I want to get this locked down this weekend as I am moving to my house I just bought and I really don't want to get a few buddies to help me move my old TV.



thanks.
If you settled for the S2 why not choose 60" LGPK550/250/350?

G20 & the PK is a toss up depends on the viewing environment. But the S2 & PK should be a no brainier. Unless you hate Korean brand or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa
If you settled for the S2 why not choose 60" LGPK550/250/350?

G20 & the PK is a toss up depends on the viewing environment. But the S2 & PK should be a no brainier. Unless you hate Korean brand or something.
+1, you can buy a 60pk550 for what the 54g20 costs. Lovin' my 60pk550 BTW
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top