AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do a upgrade over the next 6-9months for all my speakers. 5.1 setup currently(receiver upgrade sometime after speakers) But I am currently looking to the klipsch (new)RC series. I don't have alot of time to go to the stores and listen to whats good so I am asking for good solid opinions to whats good. My first upgrade will be my Center Speaker as that is my weakest point in my system. Looking to spend 200-300 on teh speaker the Klipsch RC-35 is $300 the comparisions can start there. Also looking into the Polk CSI40 about the same price. Any other brands I can checkout would be great. Also need to keep in mind that I will need easy access to the matching speakers somewhere down the line so I dont want to get some closeout/discontinued models. Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I really depends on your other speakers. If the Klipsch will be the same "voice" go for it, if you plan later to upgrade to Klipsch on every corner then just do it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the Klipsch reference speakers, among a few other brands. I really like the Klipsch sound, but really feel you should make the effort to audition before buying. Some people love the Klipsch sound; others hate it. I also have Polks, the RT35i's which I gave to my teenaged daughter. I prefer the Klipsch personally.

Like always though, I'd strongly suggest you check out online companies like Axiom, Ascend, etc. My feeling is they often offer great prices for extremely nice speakers. You might want to do a search for more information on the particular sonic characteristics of brands such as these and think of which you might prefer for your own tastes. Can't remember is it's Ascends or Axioms (I think it is the Ascends), but they offer complete speaker systems where you can buy parts of the package at different times. However, I think that the other speakers must be purchased by a certain time. Both companies offer complete 5.1 packages for a bit over a thousand dollars. I think the Ascend package even comes with a Hsu VTF-2 sub, which by itself lists at something like $450. That would mean that the remaining speakers average out to only a little over $100 a pop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies hopefully can get some more opinions. I personally like both the klipsch and polk sound. And want to keep whatever I buy a "matched set" I will check out Ascends but I have heard mixed feeling on the Axioms. I just wish I could find a place to checkout more of these midpriced speakers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have been running Klipsch all the way around. K-horns for mains, KLTCR for center and Forte's ( previously the mains) for rears. If you can get a hold of a pair of good used forte's go for it. IMHO, these are some of the best sounding speakers ever produced for the price. Great SPL and wonderful punch at the low end. The older models >5 years also have the sharpest cut corners on the cabinet and look very rich.

Good luck

·
Registered
512 Posts
Brad is very correct. If you like the Klipsch sound, used Forte's might be a wonderful option. Brad, if he did run the forte's for his front left/right, would the Acadamy be the center of choice? They're kind of hard to find. Or, would he try to use another Forte for the center? Or, would the reference speakers work out okay? To me, finding the right center might be an obstacle with these speakers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
:D

I have 78 Heresy's with a KV2 center with KG1.2 surrounds and am completely satisfied with the sound. Also a SW8-ll for the low end. You should listen to as many types of speakers before you buy so you can have some sort of comparison with the sound you like. Take CD's and DVD's with you so you can compare. As a long time proponent of Klipsch I think they are one of the cleanest sounding speakers for the money. Plus if you start into the Single End Triode amps they will sound fantastic for 2 channel. Check out ebay for Fortes,Chorus,Heresy and all of the Heritage line. You can save some money as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I have a 7.1 setup based on the Ref 35s with RS-25s in the rears and I am very happy with Klipsch. Some say they are bright, I disagree, I find them to be clean and crisp, very tight sound. But as others suggest you need to hear for yourself. I also beleive the RC-35 is mor in the $400+ range, but depends on the dealy I paid around $1700 for the inital 5 speakers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies hopefully can get some more opinions. I personally like both the klipsch and polk sound. And want to keep whatever I buy a "matched set" I will check out Ascends but I have heard mixed feeling on the Axioms. I just wish I could find a place to checkout more of these midpriced speakers.
I head a pair of the Ascend CBM170's in my system (I was using Klipsch RF-3II's at the time). If you like the sound of the Klipsch, I doubt you'll like the sound of the Ascends, I didn't. Too laid back and not dynamic enough for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been trying out some speakers in store's and I am really starting to sour on the Klipsch's for the main reason the sound stage is just to localized and I want to have a broader area of sound. I was very impressed by the Def Tech setup I listened to and wasnt that much more ($)than the Klipsch stuff I was looking into. My new question is I heard good things about Energy speakers I am looking for opinions there and does the sound for energy tend to be more localized or does it more envelope and room like the Def's. Anybody know what is good pricing on Def Tech's C/L/R 2002 I can get it for $350 at UE it has a $499 msrp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am considering the Klipsch SB-3 speakers. (I love the clean crisp sound) I have Bose 301's now and I am going to upgrade soon. I thought maybe I would get 3 pairs of the SB-3's and use one for a center speaker (using a front pj), 1 pair for fronts, 1 pair for surrounds, and the last speaker for the rear. I am going to go with the SVS 16-46 PCi sub and a Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver.

A couple questions for the group.

Will the SB-3 be ok as a center channel ?

Has anyone set up a HK AVR525 7.1 with only 1 rear speaker ?

With this set-up I figured I could try it and save myself the cost of a center speaker. If I don't like it I can always move the SB-3 to the back and have 2 rears for a true 7.1 setup.

Thoughts, comments very appreciated !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.