or

Samsung DLP HLM507

The unit is going in a large room - 20' x 20'. Sofa will be 15'-18' away

from the TV. I will be using Comcast Digital/HDTV to view broadcast

channels - 50%. DVD - 50%. The basement is dark and I have the

full 7.1 setup.

The Mitsubishi really fills the room. The Samsung fits in nicely but

obviously is not a presence like the Mitsubishi. The Samsung DLP

is about $200-$300 less than the Mitsubishi.

The main questions are:

1. Should I sacrifice 15 inches + NetCommand for DLP technology?

2. Is it true that these large scale TVs will be going away in 2-3 years?

3. Are DLPs 30% brighter than the large Mitsubishi?

4. Is the PQ on a DLP better than the PQ on a Mitsubishi?

I've convinced myself to go with the Mitsu about 3-4 times due to the

great big size but every time I talk to a dealer, they all tell me that DLP

is the way to go. So I am really confused and need all the help I can get.

Any replies would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ned

·
Registered
399 Posts
For a room that large the 50" seems a little small. The Mits has an excellent picture, but may not be as bright as the Samsung DLP.

Mitsubishi does make a 65" DLP(65100), but its sort of exspensive (I have seen it for $9K).

Samsung has a 61" DLP coming out that is suppose to ship sometime Q1 of '03. If you have a lot of windows and really need the brightness you may want to wait for a larger DLP (or pay the Mits price now).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ned, I just read your post better, I didn't see "dark basement" the first time. DLP's are typically brighter, but I don't think 30%, but since it is going in a room that is not very bright the Mits should be plenty bright.

"2. Is it true that these large scale TVs will be going away in 2-3 years?"

NO, CRT based TV's may start to phase out gradually in 5yrs or more due to DLP (and LCOS?) and Plasma, but not until prices of new technology is lower than the current technology.

3. Are DLPs 30% brighter than the large Mitsubishi?

Not sure, DLP's brightness vary by the output of the bulb they use, the Samsung uses a 120 watt bulb I think and the Panasonic 52" DLP uses a 150 w.

And it also depends on how many square inches the screen. Brightness on TV's is usually measured in Ft.-Lamberts, I think a 65" CRT RPTV runs aprox 17 Ft.-L when properly calibrated. If you can find (or measure) the DLP screen brightness in Ft.-L I think we would all like to know. Many people here are just now getting the 507's maybe someone can measure it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MattJ
If you can find (or measure) the DLP screen brightness in Ft.-L I think we would all like to know. Many people here are just now getting the 507's maybe someone can measure it.
I think The Sound and Vision mag review of the HLM507 listed the output at about 50 Ft-L after calibration. I don't remember the exact figure but I remember being suprised it was so high.

·
Registered
399 Posts
GScott,

Very good thought, I still have that issue of S&V and it says 58.6 ft-L for the Samsung 507.

My number of 17 for Mits must be way off. Well I went back to an older issue of S&V(Nov 02) and it has Mits 65711 at 34.2 ft-L and a Toshiba 50H82 at 36.4 ft-L

Those numbers put the 507 at about 70% brighter than the Mits 65".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your expert advice. It looks like I may need to change my

choice from the Samsung 50" to the Samsung 61" due to the room size.

I've also seen that that unit may come out by 1Q 03. I can wait for 2-3

months but will it really be 2-3 months or more like 6-7 months? What

was the expected delivery date for the 50" model? If I have to wait 6-7

months, then I may as well go ahead and get the Mitsubishi set now.

I'm hoping I may get a special Black Friday deal in a couple days on the

Mitsubishi set.

Thanks,

Ned

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ned,

The 61" is suppose to have a "soft launch" like the 50" and I expect it will follow the 507 pattern. The 507 was initially available in very few cities (5 I think) then more cities, but at low volume (maybe 1 month later). Like in Dallas only 2 or 3 stores had them and only about 10 sets/store, so most people got on a waiting list. I expect you will see a few sets (61") in a few cities after CES, maybe end of January and at the full MSRP. So a lot depends on where you live. The above is aprox memory of what happened with the 507, you can read through all the 507 threads going back to Sept. for more accurate data (by the time you finish reading the HM617 should be available). I think you'll be waiting more like 3 months than 6.

Also, on the Ft-L numbers above, I looked at another site where an ISF calibrator listed the results that he measured after calibration of 55" and 65" CRT RPTV's and his numbers were significantly lower than the S&V numbers. So take the above numbers with a grain of salt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.