AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha RX-A2010 or Onkyo TX-NR1009

Hi guys.

newbie here. The yamaha RX-A2010 just released today and which would you guys recommend? the Onkyo TX-NR1009 or the yamaha?

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
When people see the 'vs' it tends to keep them away. Usually a pissing contest breaks out between the fan camps.

Try using the time-tested "which AVR should I buy" - then list those as your two choices. Works much better IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20868361

When people see the 'vs' it tends to keep them away. Usually a pissing contest breaks out between the fan camps.

Try using the time-tested "which AVR should I buy" - then list those as your two choices. Works much better IMO.

Whoops... not my intention at all.

Noted and changed it as suggested =]

Thx for advice.

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
I didn't think it was your intention.

You might want to list your speakers and environment where you'll be using the new AVR. I like Audyssey room correction (I have an Integra DHC 40.1) and have never used the Yamaha YPAO. I also have a Denon AVR589 that has Audyssey. I've never ran that program on the Denon. YPAO is Yamaha's own room correction software and the Yamaha users seem to like it real well. The computer controls for the Yamaha look interesting. I'll have to find a shop around here that carries it and see what thats all about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20868827

I didn't think it was your intention.

You might want to list your speakers and environment where you'll be using the new AVR. I like Audyssey room correction (I have an Integra DHC 40.1) and have never used the Yamaha YPAO. I also have a Denon AVR589 that has Audyssey. I've never ran that program on the Denon. YPAO is Yamaha's own room correction software and the Yamaha users seem to like it real well. The computer controls for the Yamaha look interesting. I'll have to find a shop around here that carries it and see what thats all about.

My intention is actually to use the receiver along with the HTPC i made for my dad.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x3 740 BE

8gb corsair 1333Mhz Low Voltage RAM

HD4830 Sapphire HDMI Graphics Card

2x 1TB spinpoint f3

LG 10x Blu-ray writer

Creative titanium HD swapped w/ burr brown op-amps

Win7 Ultimate x64

As for speakers, currently the one used are really really old 5.1 speakers bought over 16 yrs ago which my dad bought. I don't even know the model numbers (i was only 9 when he bought em). I know the center channel is a klipsch and the rest of the system are Bose (don't hate).

The intention is to replace them all with Klipsch RF-52 IIs.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper52 /forum/post/20868336

none have opinions on this?

Prince being equal. which would you guys recommend?

I would go with the yamaha but it is close. Both will power klipsch speakers just fine. Onkyo has bells and whistles but bad reliability the last few years. The front of the 1009 is new this year but the remote and back panel are identical to the 1008. I would hold off and wait for them to prove they swapped out the cheap parts they have been using. The yamaha's have their own funky style but have been sounding pure and holding up solid the last few years.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I've owned several Yamaha and Onkyo receivers and Yamaha's are better. Particularly with Klipsh.

Klipsch have these horns that kick ass with treble and Yamaha's also kick ass with treble. A good combo. I've found good treble is harder to get right than bass. With bass, you can always buy a good sub and the receiver doesn't really have to do much except pass the LFE to it. The receiver has to drive the treble by itself.

Yamaha's are well made and durable as hell. Never give me any problems. Unlike Onkyo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn
I've owned several Yamaha and Onkyo receivers and Yamaha's are better. Particularly with Klipsh.

Klipsch have these horns that kick ass with treble and Yamaha's also kick ass with treble. A good combo. I've found good treble is harder to get right than bass. With bass, you can always buy a good sub and the receiver doesn't really have to do much except pass the LFE to it. The receiver has to drive the treble by itself.

Yamaha's are well made and durable as hell. Never give me any problems. Unlike Onkyo.
Thanks for the tip =]

That's 2 for the Yamaha then.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Another vote for the Yamaha or the above mentioned Marantz. Either of these over the Onkyo for now. Give Onkyo another chance to prove themselves for a few model years before I ever consider them again. The Yamaha A2000 can also be had for an excellent price now. Not much of a difference between the 2000 and the 2010. May also want to consider the A3000.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone know if the RX-A2010 has a different User Interface (GUI) than the RX-A2000? Frankly, i saw videos of the interface on the previous Aventage line (RX-A2000, etc) and wasn't too impressed with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts