AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 35" Sony Trinitron CRT and Hughes DirecTV receiver (Model #GAEB0A). I want to replace the TV with a Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD 64" and add a surround sound system. I'm looking at the Onkyo TXSR600 receiver and Polk RM7200 5.1 speakers.

My question is, since my Hughes DirecTV receiver can't receive either HDTV or Surround Sound, what do I buy - a Sat C Kit and new HDTV receiver with 5.1 optical out, or just a less expensive non-HDTV DirecTV receiver with 5.1, and pull HDTV off-air with an indoor antenna?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently faced this question and decided not to upgrade my DirecTV system. For me, there just isn't enough HDTV on satellite to justify the considerable expense of a new dish, new cable runs, and new boxes. If DirecTV (or Dish) would make some public committments as to what will be available in HDTV and when, I might feel differently. I bought a Zenith 420 ota reciever and a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna, and I'm getting 7 clear digital channels. When something is ota HDTV, I get it. Also, my locals are now better on this set than the DirecTV feed. BTW, before you buy that Pioneer, you ought to check out projectors in that price range.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrichman
My question is, since my Hughes DirecTV receiver can't receive either HDTV or Surround Sound, what do I buy - a Sat C Kit and new HDTV receiver with 5.1 optical out, or just a less expensive non-HDTV DirecTV receiver with 5.1, and pull HDTV off-air with an indoor antenna?
What are you going to use to 'pull HDTV off-air'?

The DirecTV HDTV receivers also have OTA tuners, so that may be your best solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking a cheap (~$120) DirecTV receiver for surround sound output, and then a Terk indoor HDTV antenna.

The more expensive option is the Sat C Kit and HDTV DirecTV receiver. Can you recommend some models?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
then a Terk indoor HDTV antenna.
If your TV (you don't list the model) doesn't have a built in HDTV tuner, it won't matter that you connected an antenna. Still no HD. Also, there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. I'm using a $5 UHF antenna and it works just fine. Finally, other people on this board have reception problems using Terk antennas. Channel Master and others are more popular.

Quote:
The more expensive option is the Sat C Kit and HDTV DirecTV receiver.
You never mentioned if you have an 18x24 inch dish. The Sat-C kit is just a special LNB, combiner and cable.

Quote:
Can you recommend some models?
Spend a few days reading this forum and you will get more than enough recommendations.

-Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the TV yet, but I'm looking at the Pioneer PRO-730HD. One reason not to get a projector is that from what I understand, they are hard to see in a lit room. This would be my living room adjacent to my kitchen. Also, the amount of wiring through my ceiling would be unreasonable to mount a DLP projector up there. The Pioneer has the best picture I've seen yet, and the price is about $6400, so I'll probably end up there. And yes, there is a HDTV tuner built into that set.

I have two dishes, the small 18" gray dish with a single dual-LNB, and a 24"x38" dish for my DirecWay service. The tech who installed the DirecWay dish mentioned the Sat C kit would be mounted on that dish.

So basically what I'm hearing is that the only thing I'd miss by not getting HDTV programming from DirecTV is HBO-HD and HDNet? I could pull HDTV off-air with a cheap antenna, and put the money to better use in my surround system or DVD player?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
The tech who installed the DirecWay dish mentioned the Sat C kit would be mounted on that dish.
Quote:
the only thing I'd miss by not getting HDTV programming from DirecTV is HBO-HD and HDNet?
So you aren't getting HD programming from DirecTV but you are getting a Sat-C kit. The Sat-C kit is only needed for Showtime HD. I just read on the DirecWay site about upgrading the dish to receive DirecTV programming but it looks like it is only for the 101 satellite. Not the 110 satellite that the Sat-C kit is built for. Right now you can get HBO-HD (with the appropriate sat receiver and programming package) since it is temporarily on the 101 satellite.

-Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.