AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pb10 just isn't cutting it. To get the proper bass that I'm looking for I've really got to crank the sub and it's just farting and to boomy. I'm looking to to upgrade to a nice 12" in the $500 range. I've been looking at HSU's VTF-2 MK3, SVS's PB12-NSD and ED's A3-300. I've been reading about them in the forums but haven't really heard to much in comparison. Anyone have input on these options or would like to throw in another recommendation? The room is carpeted and about 3000 cuft.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you're looking for significantly more output, you might want to up the budget. I'd also look into bass traps and EQ as well.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Yeah 3000 cubic feet is really pushing it for a single PB10. I'd want dual PB10's at minimum in that room. Honestly, though, at a budget of just $500 you probably won't find anything that's a huge upgrade over the PB10. The Hsu VTF-2 MK3 might have a little more output in maximum output mode, but then you'll lose extension. The PB12-NSD is a good upgrade but I'd be surprised if the 3-4dB increase in output it yields over the PB10-NSD were 100% satisfying to you, being that you seem to be driving the PB10 to its limits all the time. I'd guess the A3-300 performs similarly to the PB12-NSD, though I don't know...good luck finding someone who's heard both, though.

Anyway, your best bet is to maybe add one of those other subs to the PB10. Your post wasn't clear as to whether you're planning to add a second sub or replace the PB10 with one of the aforementioned subs. Again, if you're planning on swapping the PB10 for one of those you mentioned, I'm sure you might get a modest increase in SPL, but I'd doubt you'll have your socks blown off. Adding say a PB12-NSD to your existing PB10 might yield better results. Or, if you want to sell the PB10 and then look at subs in more of the $650-1000 range, that would get you a sub that should offer you awesome performance. Just my two cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the PB10 does a rather decent job but I just need something that can hit lows with out the fluttering. I think my driver is just working to hard and it can't keep up with deep lows at the level I need. I would be selling this sub, so a more expensive upgrade is not out of the question. What would you recommend then in the higher price range?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Epik Knight, Caliber. Mfw-15 = up the budget. 3000^3 The Hsu 3.3 or Svs pb12 is $600 is all you can spend. $500 may as well keep the Pb10

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm in nearly the same boat, I've recently moved and now have a more "dedicated" room. The RTV is getting replaced with a projector in the next couple months, now that I've decided on that my attention has turned to the sub. My PB10 was great when I got it but the fascination has dwindled with time. I've really been considering the Knight/Caliber (I'm fairly limited on disposable income) but am reluctant as I worry it won't be THAT much of an upgrade. I'm leaning towards saving longer and going for a Castle.

In short, for better or worse, I've been swept up in all of the Epik hype, lol. Whatever you do end up getting, please report back with your impressions on how much of a difference you experienced, it would certainly be helpful for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Could be that you're trying to go so low that the sub just can't reproduce the frequency without undue amount of power and distortion. What content are you listening to, specifically?

This might sound like a silly question, but have you moved the sub around the room? Your listening position might be in the middle of a null. If you're in a dead spot in the room, no amount of power will help those frequencies that are being cancelled. Room treatment may help, but placement changes are going to help more and for less money.

Greg

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_God /forum/post/14263044

well the PB10 does a rather decent job but I just need something that can hit lows with out the fluttering. I think my driver is just working to hard and it can't keep up with deep lows at the level I need. I would be selling this sub, so a more expensive upgrade is not out of the question. What would you recommend then in the higher price range?

I am in the same boat. My PB-10 flutters like crazy with the Pulse basement scene at -8 db from reference. I fixed the problem though. I got the Pulse HD-DVD with lossless audio! You wouldn't believe the difference between DD @ 320 kbps and Lossless! The PB-10 was rock solid with the lossless track!

If you budget is only a couple hundred dollars then I would say invest in a Blu-ray player and Netflix! Otherwise you really need to step up to the $1000 range to see the benefit.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_God /forum/post/0

My pb10 just isn't cutting it. To get the proper bass that I'm looking for I've really got to crank the sub and it's just farting and to boomy. I'm looking to to upgrade to a nice 12" in the $500 range.

I had the SVS PB10-ISD and it was a nice subwoofer until I got the MFW-15. There is simply no comparison. Bass just slams you out of nowhere and then complete silence. Bass sounds "sharp", if I can call it that.

A big part of the success is the sheer rigidity of the enclosure. It weighs in at almost 50 kg's. We are also talking about a 2.5-3 times greater clean output increase here over the PB10. Easily.

It might be a little more than you were thinking of spending but in my opinion it is well worth the extra expense. I'm still busy with my review but when I'm done I'll post it in the AV123 thread.

I have two of them.

Regards,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/14269955

If you budget is only a couple hundred dollars then I would say invest in a Blu-ray player and Netflix! Otherwise you really need to step up to the $1000 range to see the benefit.

well that's actually where my problems arise. I do have a blu-ray player and it was during viewings of Cloverfield and Blade Runner that the sub was really starting to sweat. I listen to movies really loud and I need the sub to keep up. I've been moving the sub all over and it's in the best spot I feel for the room, I just need more power. I was looking at getting a A5-350 as the price fit into my sweat spot, but maybe just a second well place pb-10 would do the job? I hadn't really looked at av123's products so I'm very interested in anyone's thoughts one them.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No a 2nd Pb10 will help alot but in 3,000^ get a better sub. If your a basshead you will still want 2 of those (the new ones)
. If your not and the Pb10 is almost enough just add a Pb12. They will sound pretty close and you get more woofer.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_God /forum/post/14272510

It was during viewings of Cloverfield and Blade Runner that the sub was really starting to sweat.

Movies like Cloverfield and War of the Worlds have extreme deep bass that is quite frankly just a bit out of the PB10's capabilities IMO. If movies with lots of 20hz and under content are your idea of fun bass, I'd look to a more capable sub. The PB10 is great at its price, but it can't do miracles. Especially in your large room where I'd doubt there's as much room gain down low as in a smaller room, the PB10 simply doesn't have the deep extension you require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_God /forum/post/14272510

I listen to movies really loud and I need the sub to keep up.

More proof you need something bigger and badder, and probably not just a second PB10. I run two PB10's in a ~900 cubic foot room and they do a pretty good job at high levels - though I could see myself going for even more at some time in the future
. Of course the subs are about 5 feet from my seat and the entire room is only about 11'x10' and sealed off from the rest of the house. In your larger room, even two PB10's will probably run out of gas given your desire for ultra high output. Try waiting a bit to up your budget. Subs like the MFW-15, Epik Knight/Caliber/Castle, or SVS PB12-Plus/2 would be much better fits for your room and listening habits. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm, ok well thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try and get this pb-10 up on the market and I'll report back with what I ended up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts